Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Memphis met with the NCAA about possible violations

Add topic

NCAA meets with Memphis about possible violations
Associated Press • June 6, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS — The NCAA met with Memphis officials on Saturday to discuss major violations and the school must now wait at least six weeks for a ruling on whether its 38 wins from the 2007-08 season will count.

The most serious allegation taken up at the meeting was whether an unknown person took the SAT for a player.

The NCAA has said the athlete in question played for the Tigers for only the 2007-08 season and the 2008 NCAA tournament. The only person who fits the description in documents obtained by The Associated Press is Derrick Rose, the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft after that season.

Memphis athletic director R.C. Johnson had no comment as he left the four-hour meeting. Memphis president Dr. Shirley Raines also would not speak, but issued a statement.

“Although we cannot comment on the specifics of what occurred during the hearing, I can say that as president, I reiterated the university’s commitment to NCAA rules compliance,” Raines said. “We believe we were able to fully answer the committee’s questions and present the actions we have already taken based upon our internal investigations.”

Memphis officials have said the school should keep the victories from the 2007-08 season that ended in the national title game. An NCAA spokeswoman said a ruling is expected between six and eight weeks.

“We are hopeful that we will receive a favorable decision on behalf of the university in this matter,” Raines said. “We look forward to having more to say after the committee has released its decision.”

A letter from the NCAA forced new Kentucky coach John Calipari to participate in the hearing. The NCAA says Calipari, who coached the Memphis Tigers during the season in question, isn’t considered “at risk” in the probe.

Calipari explained in one letter than he wouldn’t be able to attend because of a previously scheduled trip to China, but the chairman of the NCAA’s committee on infractions told him he needed to participate anyway, either through phone or video conference.

Calipari responded on May 27 that he would join the hearing by phone, but it wasn’t clear on Saturday whether he had.

Memphis could face similar meetings with the NCAA in the future. Another player, Robert Dozier, also has had questions surface about his entrance exams.
Dozier’s inconsistent SAT scores prevented him from being admitted to the University of Georgia in 2004. His initial SAT score was invalidated by the company that scores the exam, and his follow-up score was dramatically lower, according to Georgia records obtained Friday by The Associated Press.

Dozier’s four-year career at Memphis ended with the 2008-09 season.

Dozier’s SAT problems were first reported by ESPN.com.

Johnson declined to comment Friday on Dozier when contacted by The Associated Press, saying he was focused on preparations for Saturday’s hearing.

However, earlier Johnson told ESPN.com he was confident the school had “done all the things we’re supposed to do” regarding Dozier.

Link to Article
Back to the top

Re: Memphis met with the NCAA about possible violations

Aaaand it's almost official: (I'd love to hear what those Memphis guys we used to have on our board have to say abou this!)

ala deadspin.com
Your new NCAA record-holder for most wins in a season: the four teams that used to hold it before Memphis won 38 in 2007-08. That's because Memphis has to vacate all of them, plus their Final Four appearance.

It's sounding like a done deal that the NCAA will announce the ruling tomorrow, and they're not buying the results of Memphis' internal investigation, which — surprise, surprise — found no evidence of wrongdoing.

But apparently those not on the school's payroll were able to find some evidence that the real Derrick Rose had very little to do with Derrick Rose's SAT, and that his brother received $2,260 in free travel. These are both major no-nos.

The current team, under new coach Josh Pastner, won't be punished. But the damage is done - that record '08 season? Gone. And setting an ignominious record is John Calipari, the first man to vacate Final Four appearances at two different schools. So if Kentucky makes it to Indy next April, I wouldn't rush out and buy the t-shirt.

Source: Memphis Tigers to Forfeit Record 2007-'08 Basketball Season [Memphis Commercial Appeal]
Back to the top

When a school like MEMPHIS has a team that good you know something is probably fishy.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Memphis met with the NCAA about possible violations

TeamBeer said

Aaaand it's almost official: (I'd love to hear what those Memphis guys we used to have on our board have to say abou this!)

But apparently those not on the school's payroll were able to find some evidence that the real Derrick Rose had very little to do with Derrick Rose's SAT, and that his brother received $2,260 in free travel. These are both major no-nos.

DOH!

Bossman!  Haven't seen him in ages…wonder what he is up to besides peddling his shirts??

He authored one of the most read threads in board history…actually quite comical ;D

Blast from the past: "Poor Owls"
Back to the top

ha ha, 20 pages of that garbage? I don't have that kind of time, but I sure do miss the guy.
Back to the top
Control functions: