Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Kicking and Punting duties...

I'm still baffled as to why we don't put much emphasis (understated) on the special teams units during camp, especially kicking, as it has cost us dearly a number of times in the not so recent past…some teams (see Va Tech for a great example) make a living in crucial games off of this element of game play…nonethless, here's what Coach had to say when asked about both of the kicking duties for the upcoming season…of note, still yet to see any drills for special teams on return coverage, etc:

Question: "Coach, do you have any idea who's gonna be punting and kicking for ya'?"

Answer: "Uh, well, we only got one kicker in camp, so I assume it'll be him (Ross Gornall).  And we got two punters, and it will be one of the two of them. So…"

Question: "Do you have a favorite on the punter?"

Answer: "Oh, no…no."

Question: "Situational"?

Answer: "If I had a favorite I wouldn't tell ya'.  I might tell ya' who's won the job, but that may not be my favorite."

Anyway, here is what we have listed on the roster at present…our guess at starters in bold…

#17 Groody, Mickey RS SO 5-11 170 P
#19 Cal, Michael JR 5-6 163 K
#20 Gornall, Ross RS JR 5-11 190 K
#22 Peterson, Keegan RS SR 6-1 180 K
#NA McLaughlin, Matthew FR 5-10 190 P/K

Hopefully, we do not re-live the past of USF @ Lockhart which saw points fade away to the left or right…and with Ross, the chances are much less…punting, who knows…Groody had a bad case of nerves last year in pre-season and then got hurt…he can boot the ball, or they would not have offered him…results on the field are yet forthcoming…would be nice to have a guy who can hang it and put it 40+ yards deep each time though…or place it within the twenty with accuracy…

Back to the top

Re: Kicking and Punting duties...

Rick said

I'm still baffled as to why we don't put much emphasis (understated) on the special teams units during camp, especially kicking, as it has cost us dearly a number of times in the not so recent past..

Well it may make you feel a little better to know they were working on blocking the kicks the other day. Coach Jackson was lining up guys like Amos Wood and some of the redshirt DBs/LBs and have them run in to put their hands over the ball while they try to kick it.

The lines went after each other and they kicked it away to guys like Polo and Bonner, who practiced catching (although not running it up for yards)

So they're working on it a little bit.
Back to the top

Rick said

Question: "Do you have a favorite on the punter?"

Answer: "Oh, no…no."

Question: "Situational"?

Answer: "If I had a favorite I wouldn't tell ya'.  I might tell ya' who's won the job, but that may not be my favorite."

HAHHAHA  Classic Coach answer! I love it!

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

Kicking and Punting duties...

Thanks for looking into this Rick, I've been wondering about the status of our kicking game…

So we don't have a backup at kicker? Does anyone remember Bill Gramatica?? Kickers may be a little crazy, but they're usually not that tough, Bill blew his knee out celebrating a field goal, then what? Open tryouts? I'm lacing up the cleats guys!!!  :D

I sure hope Groody can get the nerves down now, our kicking game has been weak since Myers and Rosas graduated.
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

Thanks for looking into this Rick, I've been wondering about the status of our kicking game…

Np!  Was curious as well :)
Back to the top

p.s. speaking of backup kickers... how about Chad Ochocinco kicking for Cincy last night? haha He did very well.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Rick said

I'm still baffled as to why we don't put much emphasis (understated) on the special teams units during camp, especially kicking, as it has cost us dearly a number of times in the not so recent past..

Well it may make you feel a little better to know they were working on blocking the kicks the other day. Coach Jackson was lining up guys like Amos Wood and some of the redshirt DBs/LBs and have them run in to put their hands over the ball while they try to kick it.

The lines went after each other and they kicked it away to guys like Polo and Bonner, who practiced catching (although not running it up for yards)

So they're working on it a little bit.

Thanks Owlcountry :)

Due to work, can't make it out to every practice…especially during the day…so was not aware.

Good to hear though! Especially given the loss of DI Edge…he added quite a bit to that aspect of our game last year, and having to find an ample replacement for him is looking tough…

Maybe they will try Morris at some point on returns…he could roll over some folks for extra yards after initial contact…although, you do risk putting your star back out there with a bulls-eye over him for every guy on the opposing roster who may only get that chance for a tackle the entire game and has been resting on the sidelines as well…
Back to the top

I've seen 17 at practice….he's booming that ball….now that's without pressure either, but he does have a leg

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

I agree. We need a backup kicker. Even though Ross seems to be pretty good injuries due happen specially when our home field is still Lockhart.
Back to the top

Has that Cal kid ever shown up to camp? He's listed on the roster. Hopefully Groody or Peterson can kick in a pinch should Gornall go down, but I think it's crazy that we don't have someone being groomed for the job.
Back to the top
Control functions: