Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Rusty Smith mentioned on ESPN First Take

Rusty Smith mentioned on ESPN First Take

The Segment was called Big Man on Campus with Mark Schlabugh:

Dana Jacobson the host says "How about a player who is looking for a big bounce back year?"

Mark: Florida Atlantic Quarterback Rusty Smith, he was the Sun Belt Conference player of the year in 2007. The only player in league history to lead his team to consecutive bowl games, but struggled last year after he hurt his shoulder in the opener at Texas. Still managed to lead the Owls to a 7-6 record and a victory over Central Michigan in the Motor City Bowl. I talked to Howard Schnellenberger to Florida Atlantic coach earlier this week, he told me he expects some big things from Smith this year. He told me Rusty Smith is as talented as any QB I have ever coached, and I think he has a great future in the NFL

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Rusty Smith mentioned on ESPN First Take

Speaking of Rusty, here's a new SBC article from our friends at Rivals:

MOST OVERRATED PLAYER: FAU QB Rusty Smith. Here's Smith again. While he's the best quarterback in the league, he took a step back last season and must regain his stride. He threw for 3,688 yards, with 32 touchdowns and just nine interceptions in 2007, when he completed 58.7 percent of his passes as a sophomore. Even better things were expected last season, but he didn't deliver; he threw for 3,224 yards, with 24 TDs and 14 picks, and completed 53.8 percent of his passes. He has shown he has the needed tools; he just needs to prove he has it this season.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Speaking of Rusty, here's a new SBC article from our friends at Rivals:

MOST OVERRATED PLAYER: FAU QB Rusty Smith. Here's Smith again. While he's the best quarterback in the league, he took a step back last season and must regain his stride. He threw for 3,688 yards, with 32 touchdowns and just nine interceptions in 2007, when he completed 58.7 percent of his passes as a sophomore. Even better things were expected last season, but he didn't deliver; he threw for 3,224 yards, with 24 TDs and 14 picks, and completed 53.8 percent of his passes. He has shown he has the needed tools; he just needs to prove he has it this season.

???

So they vote him Preseason 1st Team QB, but then say he is overrated?

??? ??? ???

If you wanted to say biggest dissapointment from last year I MIGHT agree with that. Article is all over the place. LOL

More and more Im glad I dont pay for Rivals.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

More and more Im glad I dont pay for Rivals.

C'mon, home of the "Largest Owl Message Board"??

That's worth something!  :P
Back to the top

I think there was a mistake when you copied and pasted the quote, sometimes those things get corrupted, what it meant to say was…

MOST OVERRATED SPORTS WEBSITE: Rivals!!!!! Because we can not get anything right, not the facts, not updated rosters, recruiting forget about, we make users pay for message boards that suck, hell we can not even use the correct logos for teams, we might as well let baboons run our website!

Back to the top

I will take the glass is half full approach and declare that we finally have a player that is good enough to where such a debate can even be considered…and that is a great thing.  Someone went to the trouble of thinking one of our players is getting too much attention? That was unheard of a couple years ago.  The good news is that Rusty will get the opportunity to show whether he is overrated or underrated.

Back to the top

Jab979 said

The Segment was called Big Man on Campus with Mark Schlabugh:

Dana Jacobson the host says "How about a player who is looking for a big bounce back year?"

Mark: Florida Atlantic Quarterback Rusty Smith, he was the Sun Belt Conference player of the year in 2007. The only player in league history to lead his team to consecutive bowl games, but struggled last year after he hurt his shoulder in the opener at Texas. Still managed to lead the Owls to a 7-6 record and a victory over Central Michigan in the Motor City Bowl. I talked to Howard Schnellenberger to Florida Atlantic coach earlier this week, he told me he expects some big things from Smith this year. He told me Rusty Smith is as talented as any QB I have ever coached, and I think he has a great future in the NFL

Here's the link.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4414195
Back to the top

Thx for the post.  I missed it.  I like what Coach said about Rusty, hopefully he will have his best year this season.
Back to the top

NCowl said

I think there was a mistake when you copied and pasted the quote, sometimes those things get corrupted, what it meant to say was…

MOST OVERRATED SPORTS WEBSITE: Rivals!!!!! Because we can not get anything right, not the facts, not updated rosters, recruiting forget about, we make users pay for message boards that suck, hell we can not even use the correct logos for teams, we might as well let baboons run our website!

:o :o :o

NCowl is Fired up! ;D
Back to the top
Control functions: