Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Don't overlook the wise old owl

"Schnellenberger started a football program from scratch at Florida Atlantic and the Owls have been picking off milestones at an incredible pace ever since.

A win over NCAA Division I-AA No. 22 Bethune-Cookman in their second game in 2001. A win over a Division I-A program, Middle Tennessee, by the end of their second season. A trip to the I-AA playoff semifinals by year three. Elevation to I-A status by 2005 and affiliation with the Sun Belt Conference. Bowl bids and wins after both the 2007 and '08 seasons.

The next step for Florida Atlantic might be to claim one of these major-college pelts to hang back in Boca Raton. The Owls open their ninth season Saturday night at Nos. 22 and 24 Nebraska after playing the likes of Texas, Florida, Michigan State, Clemson and Oklahoma State in recent seasons."

Full Story
Back to the top

Re: Don't overlook the wise old owl

Rick said

"Schnellenberger started a football program from scratch at Florida Atlantic and the Owls have been picking off milestones at an incredible pace ever since.

A win over NCAA Division I-AA No. 22 Bethune-Cookman in their second game in 2001. A win over a Division I-A program, Middle Tennessee, by the end of their second season. A trip to the I-AA playoff semifinals by year three. Elevation to I-A status by 2005 and affiliation with the Sun Belt Conference. Bowl bids and wins after both the 2007 and '08 seasons.

The next step for Florida Atlantic might be to claim one of these major-college pelts to hang back in Boca Raton. The Owls open their ninth season Saturday night at Nos. 22 and 24 Nebraska after playing the likes of Texas, Florida, Michigan State, Clemson and Oklahoma State in recent seasons."

Full Story

This is good an all but I can't help but worry about what happens when Schnelly retires!!! If we don't hire the right replacement we could slip back into obscurity as quickly as we came up from it.

I just want to focus on a great season but hope that we have the future planned out as well!!!
Back to the top

Nice article! And REALLY SAD that he and the OWLS seem to get more respect there than in their own community in which a local paper just picked us fourth in our own little conference! Kick Ass this year OWLS, prove them wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to the top

I hope when HS retires we go out to get a big name. I like looking inside is good and all, but we need to keep our momentum

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Don't overlook the wise old owl

Silver_Bullet32 said

I hope when HS retires we go out to get a big name. I like looking inside is good and all, but we need to keep our momentum

problem with that is, until we are in a BCS conference or we can afford to pay our coaches a lot of money we're only going to get coaches who want to use FAU as a stepping stone to another high paying job

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

problem with that is, until we are in a BCS conference or we can afford to pay our coaches a lot of money we're only going to get coaches who want to use FAU as a stepping stone to another high paying job

Agree,

Geeting someone like HS has been a true blessing for the program. If and when FAU steps up to a AQ type of confrence ( I have no idea how things will shake out, but I expect more confrence shuffling in the next few years) then and only then will we be able to pay more and hold more.

Coachs leave, its what they do. Unless your name is Paterno or Bobby Bowden.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top
Control functions: