Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

NU Notes: Two freshmen, sophomore may start

"For a coach who could start two freshmen and a sophomore at linebacker next week, defensive coordinator Carl Pelini sounded at ease addressing the news media after Thursday's practice."

Full Entry
Back to the top

Re: NU Notes: Two freshmen, sophomore may start

I would love to be a LB on Nebraska…that DT they have will command double teams all day long which will free up the LB's to make plays. 

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

I would love to be a LB on Nebraska…that DT they have will command double teams all day long which will free up the LB's to make plays.
plus you have 2 returning starters at d ends.  both who are very very very good.
Back to the top

walty12 said

I think trying to cover Harmon and Grant would be fun for about 1 play
Back to the top

"Everybody out there's made a play at times, but unfortunately, it's kind of a mix of guys,” Pelini said. “We're not really sure who's going to step out there and really take control of the position.”

Huskers will need ‘A game' in opener
Back to the top

Pelini still hasn't decided on starters for Saturday's game…but say's they are healthy:

AP Story

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

Nebraska Statepaper Story
Back to the top

I believe Bo is playing it close to the vest, but they will have freshman playing against your fifth year seniors.  This is a young team with mostly underclassmen in the two deep roster.  Bodes well for the future but the season starts Saturday.  To me it comes down to how long the FAU line can hold out Suh and company before they wear down and leave Smith running for his life.  The Huskers like to make the game physical and wear opponents out so they are the stronger team in the fourth quarter.  If FAU can sustain long scoring drives and keep the NU D on the field, I think the game could be close.  I've read several predictions of FAU hanging big numbers on Nebraska. 
Back to the top

WyHuskerFan said

To me it comes down to how long the FAU line can hold out Suh and company before they wear down and leave Smith running for his life.  The Huskers like to make the game physical and wear opponents out so they are the stronger team in the fourth quarter.

Agreed, but the gameplan will most likely be to not try to keep Suh out the entire game.  Wasted energy for a long game.  We will roll Rusty out to give him a couple extra seconds to throw.  Also our QB coach (former NFL QB, Jeff Brohm) has been working on a quicker release.  I think you will see that by the time the Husker defensive line counts to 3 Mississippi, the ball will be gone, hopefully in the hands of one of several offensive weapons.

That being said, I predicted a 25-point win by Nebraska, but it will come down to how well the above works during the game.  If it works well, we can score a boatload of points.  If it does not work well, then it could be a very long day.

Back to the top

NU Notes: Two freshmen, sophomore may start

Not really a "note" section, but still good reading:

Plan of Attack: FAU Owls
Back to the top

Wednesday's worthwhile notes:

Tight end talk: Florida Atlantic has talented tight ends in Jason Harmon and Jamari Grant. Grant had 45 catches last year and Harmon had 63 in 2007, before sitting out 2008 with a knee injury.

“They’ve got really athletic tight ends and can get down the field in a hurry,” Pelini said. “The good thing for us is so do we. We’ve been facing that all camp. That’s a dilemma that Mike McNeill and Ben Cotton and those guys give us every day. That’s nothing new to us and I think our linebackers are used to facing athletic tight ends right now.”

Link
Back to the top
Control functions: