Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Boomers in Boca Raton loses $2.3M verdict

Add topic

From Bizjournal:

A Palm Beach County entertainment company was hit with a $2.3 million verdict last week in a personal injury case involving a climbing wall accident.

The plaintiff, Michael Livingston, now 50, of Boston, filed suit in Palm Beach County Circuit Court after falling from a rock-climbing wall at Boomers in Boca Raton in 2005. As he climbed the wall, a hydraulic cable attachment at the top failed, sending him plunging to the floor. Livingston broke his ankle and suffered several fractured vertebrae.

Prior to the accident, the software developer was an avid runner and athlete.

“We thought Boomers’ defense – that they had no obligation to adequately maintain and test equipment – was absolutely absurd,” said Livingston’s attorney, Stephan Le Clainche of West Palm Beach-based Babbitt, Johnson, Osborne & Le Clainche, in a news release.

California-based Festival Fun Parks owns Boomers. Company representatives did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment. The jury took just 20 minutes to come to a verdict following a four-day trial, according to a news release.

Yes, Boomers' defense was ridiculous but come on… $2.3 million for that injury? It's not even a permanent injury. I know the lawyer ratchets his fees up and then the verdict comes with a high price so Boomers actually does something about it but still. I'd hate to see that place close.
Back to the top

Re: Boomers in Boca Raton loses $2.3M verdict

owlcountry said

I'd hate to see that place close.

If they planned accordingly, and had proper insurance in place, that won't be an issue for their continued operations - just PR matters??

But, the insurance company that ends up eating it will trickle the cost across the industry lines - even if only as a claims data point…$2.3 million will hit hard regardless of where it is absorbed.
Back to the top

Re: Boomers in Boca Raton loses $2.3M verdict

Boomers in Boca Raton loses $2.3M verdict

Rick said

owlcountry said

I'd hate to see that place close.

If they planned accordingly, and had proper insurance in place, that won't be an issue for their continued operations - just PR matters??

But, the insurance company that ends up eating it will trickle the cost across the industry lines - even if only as a claims data point…$2.3 million will hit hard regardless of where it is absorbed.

I came across something saying that the parent company earns $42 million annually so they should be fine (in a sense).
Back to the top
Control functions: