Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Florida Exodus

Add topic

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090903/us_time/08599191991600

Increased college tuition and DMV fees are only the beginning….
Back to the top

Re: Florida Exodus

Believe I heard that we have negative residency for "the first time ever"??
Back to the top

Rick said

Believe I heard that we have negative residency for "the first time ever"??

Since WWII I believe.
Back to the top

It's kinda scary to think that people are now even leaving "paradise".  I depend on development and building for my paycheck and this is news that I don't want to hear.  Although on the flipside, it will be nice to have a less crowded state.  Hopefully in the future we can start planning development and not just build stuff randomly like was done here over the last 30-40 years.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Florida Exodus

I graduated with my degree in Urban and Regional Planning from FAU and worked for Broward County for five years in the early 80's.

Money does not want organized, intelligent growth, and money always talks.

For every politician arrested for taking kickbacks, multiply the actual recipients by 100! Sadly, it is a joke and why I got out of the field. Basically a complete waste of my time and efforts and an insult to my intelligence as well!

And I am not some environmentalist, conservation freak. I believe people have a right to make money from their land if they wish, but not at the expense of the surrounding community.
Back to the top

Georgia owl,

I totally agree.  The growth far outpaced the building of infrastructure and now we are paying the price.  My hometown of Kissimmee is a prime example, subdivision upon subdivision was built, along with apartments, but no thought was given to widening the roadways to handle all the traffic.  The result is a bumper to bumper gridlock every afternoon on two lane Neptune Rd.  They finally finished widening it to 4 lanes this past summer after two years of work. 

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

duder said

My hometown of Kissimmee is a prime example, subdivision upon subdivision was built, along with apartments, but no thought was given to widening the roadways to handle all the traffic.

Hey Duder:

What kind of commercial/industry is there in Kissimmee??
Back to the top

RIck,

It isn't really a hotspot for anything that I can think of, but it's proximity to Orlando and both the Turnpike and I-4 made it a very popular place for people to move to.  Combine that with what used to be a cheap cost of living, proximity to theme parks and everything else in the state, everyone wanted to be there.  The problem was they built lots of houses, but no thought went into traffic, road layout, utilities, stuff like that.  They are just now getting everything together, and of course now people are leaving.

It was actually kinda of depressing watching all the growth there, when my family moved there back in 1990, it was still a small town, where everyone knew us cause we were the new people, the town shut down friday afternoon for High School Football, and everyone knew someone in either the Hand, Partin, or Bronson families. (Founding cattle ranch families of the area).  Now most of the ranchers left for Texas, and it makes me feel like we lost a lot of history with those folks.

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

duder said

RIck,

It isn't really a hotspot for anything that I can think of, but it's proximity to Orlando and both the Turnpike and I-4 made it a very popular place for people to move to.  Combine that with what used to be a cheap cost of living, proximity to theme parks and everything else in the state, everyone wanted to be there.  The problem was they built lots of houses, but no thought went into traffic, road layout, utilities, stuff like that.  They are just now getting everything together, and of course now people are leaving.

It was actually kinda of depressing watching all the growth there, when my family moved there back in 1990, it was still a small town, where everyone knew us cause we were the new people, the town shut down friday afternoon for High School Football, and everyone knew someone in either the Hand, Partin, or Bronson families. (Founding cattle ranch families of the area).  Now most of the ranchers left for Texas, and it makes me feel like we lost a lot of history with those folks.

Ahh…gotcha…sounds kind of like the way Boca Raton and Delray Beach used to be a LONG time ago…same thing with the farming, etc…just no theme parks…
Back to the top
Control functions: