Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Now the real season begins!

Finally we can now get down to business.  The BCS portion of the schedule is over and we have 10 winnable games left.  Some positives:  We may be 0-2 but I think it is pretty clear that our offense will score points.  We may have the best stable of running backs in program history.  The OLine continues to give Rusty plenty of time to throw.  Jason Harmon is back.  The defense got some game experience.  They got shredded yesterday, but I think against Belt competition, and with some guys returning from injury, we'll be fine.  Not to mention our running game should help limit the time they have to be on the field.

I can't wait to get out to Lockhart next week for the home(and for me, the real season) opener.  Let's hope we get a big crowd and kick it off in style with a big win.

GO OWLS!!!
Back to the top

Re: Now the real season begins!

fauowls44 said

Finally we can now get down to business.  The BCS portion of the schedule is over and we have 10 winnable games left.  Some positives:  We may be 0-2 but I think it is pretty clear that our offense will score points.  We may have the best stable of running backs in program history.  The OLine continues to give Rusty plenty of time to throw.  Jason Harmon is back.  The defense got some game experience.  They got shredded yesterday, but I think against Belt competition, and with some guys returning from injury, we'll be fine.  Not to mention our running game should help limit the time they have to be on the field.

I can't wait to get out to Lockhart next week for the home(and for me, the real season) opener.  Let's hope we get a big crowd and kick it off in style with a big win.

GO OWLS!!!

+1

We got the paychecks, now its time to get the Wins.

Last night was a good start, now lets bring it home!

GO OWLS!

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Yes, there where some positives from yesterdays game, 44 mentioned some & this is a defense that is young and untested for the most part…only three starter on that unit, even thought some player have had limited playing time.  I knew that they where a work in progress and will get better as the season progresses.

They played great for one quarter, not letting the Gamecocks to convert any third downs in the 2nd quarter, which allowed the Owls a chance to tie the game.  Mis-tackles did very little to help contain the run…but the gamecocks did prove to be a bit faster.

There is too much talent and desire for the unit not to play better & for them not to improve.

As far as the offense is concerned, as Rusty mentioned…we finally put the ball in the end zone, something we did not do in Nebraska…we did not take advantage of great field position on some very nice returns by Rolle's…the run was effective and made the passing game work.  The biggest difference…the Gamecocks make more BIG plays then we did…we had plenty of chances to stay in this game, but missed opportunities killed us.

Rusty made a few unchararistic plays that you wouldn't expect from a 5th year starter…the pick to start the 3rd was as bad of a decision he could have made, forcing the ball when he didn't have to…under threw Lester Jean on a sure TD pass, yet Jean did very little to adjust to the ball…Garcia made a similar pass in the 4th, yet his receiver made an adjustment for a 38 yard strike.  These are the little things that need to be corrected.

The good part…it is not a conference game…make some adjustment and focus on Monroe for our home opener and let's get our first W of the season.
Back to the top

Guys football is football no matter what level you play on. The season started 2 games ago with losses to UN and USC. So lets not act as though those games don't count. They do and are a barometer that will let us know rather or not FAU is ready to take the next step into bigger conference play. Safe to say, we are not. But as for the game, I too saw a few positives that I could take away from yesterdays game but not enough that would have me  so confident about our chances in winning the next 10 games. Rusty played well and I would give him a grade of a B. He has to learn not to force the ball as well as secure it when under pressure. The running game look good, grade C+, got to hold onto the ball. The special teams looked good, especially the kick off return and our ability to limit SC's kick returns, grade B.  The WR's / TE's grade of C. They drop to many balls. The OL gave Rusty time but did allow pressure at times and showed the inability to move the line when we needed a yard or two for a 1st down. I would give them a grade of C+. But as for the rest. Our D-line was gashed (grade F). Our LB's were non existant (grade F). Our front 7 couldn't tackle a high school RB (for all intensive purposes that what Giles is, it was his 2nd collegiate game). Our DB's spent most of the night chasing down SC's RB's which kept the score from being worse than what it was. But they too allowed WR's to get behind them, (grade C+). Bottom line fellas, we still have a lot of work to do if we want to compete for the conference championship!
Back to the top

Competing for the conference championship is way different than competing in the SEC.  Yes the season started 2 games ago but losing to BCS teams does not equate out that we are not ready to move to a bigger conference.  History lesson time..

USF 2001
Pittsburgh - W
USF 2002
Arkansas - L
Oklahoma - L
USF 2003
Alabama - L
USF 2004
South Carolina - L
Pittsburgh - L
USF 2005 - BIG EAST!
Penn State - L
Miami - L
Pittsburgh - L
Rutgers - W (BCS win…but USF is a BCS team)
Syracuse - W
West Virginia - L
NC State - L

Fact is they were 1-8 against BCS teams before they got lucky with a BCS realignment…and we could be undefeated against BCS opponents and we wouldn't get taken.  These first 2 games mean nothing.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

The problem with the ULM game is that the home team always loses.

Let's hope we snap that record on Saturday.
Back to the top

Special Teams - A-  ( that missed extra point hurt us )
QB - D
Defensive coaching  - FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Back to the top

Now the real season begins!

SeminOWL2006 said

Competing for the conference championship is way different than competing in the SEC.  Yes the season started 2 games ago but losing to BCS teams does not equate out that we are not ready to move to a bigger conference.  History lesson time..

USF 2001
Pittsburgh - W
USF 2002
Arkansas - L
Oklahoma - L
USF 2003
Alabama - L
USF 2004
South Carolina - L
Pittsburgh - L
USF 2005 - BIG EAST!
Penn State - L
Miami - L
Pittsburgh - L
Rutgers - W (BCS win…but USF is a BCS team)
Syracuse - W
West Virginia - L
NC State - L

Fact is they were 1-8 against BCS teams before they got lucky with a BCS realignment…and we could be undefeated against BCS opponents and we wouldn't get taken.  These first 2 games mean nothing.

I was going to write the same thing without the facts….but you did much better then I would have!

The fact is that most non BCS schools cannot compete with BCS schools on a consistent basis.  THey just have too many advantages.  Until we actually get into a BCS conference, don't expect us to beat BCS teams…especially on the road.  The odds are just stacked against you.

The fact is that our season is about winning OUR conference.  Period.  That mission starts Saturday.  GO OWLS!!
Back to the top

Obviously Semiowl you have not played football on a high level. Ask any of the football players if the losses to UN and USC don't matter. I think that you would get a 100% YES that they did. Bottom line is that we do not compete against bigger schools. As I stated earlier, football is football on any level. The things one must do in pee wee league to win are the same in the NFL. You must block, tackle, pass and run in order to compete, football 101. How well do we or have we done these things? I would venture to say, not much. Time out for excuses, it's time to put up or shut up. So far we need to be quiet as the hype surrounding this team supercedes it's ability. I like to watch good football. I haven't seen any in the past two years.
Back to the top

Hootyhoot said

Obviously Semiowl you have not played football on a high level. Ask any of the football players if the losses to UN and USC don't matter. I think that you would get a 100% YES that they did. Bottom line is that we do not compete against bigger schools. As I stated earlier, football is football on any level. The things one must do in pee wee league to win are the same in the NFL. You must block, tackle, pass and run in order to compete, football 101. How well do we or have we done these things? I would venture to say, not much. Time out for excuses, it's time to put up or shut up. So far we need to be quiet as the hype surrounding this team supercedes it's ability. I like to watch good football. I haven't seen any in the past two years.

You can say football is football, but then why do teams from BCS conferences routinely win 90%(I haven't looked up the stats, but I think I'm close) of their games against non BCS teams teams?  These teams are just better then FAU level schools.  It's pretty simple.  When you have bigger fan bases, more tradition, far greater recriuting budgets, far greater revenues, and better facilities its not hard to understand why we cannot compete on a consistent basis with the likes of Nebraska or South Carolina.  Look at who we have gone on the road to play.   We aren't just playing low level BCS schools either.  We are playing in places like Texas and Nebraska where they rarely ever lose at home, let alone lose to a Sun Belt opponent.  To think we can just go into Lincoln or Austin and win a game is ridiculous at this stage of our program.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to be able to win these games, but you also have to be realistic about where our program is.  Like I said, we have one goal right now:  Win the Sun Belt. 
Back to the top
Control functions: