Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Jamari Grant out for “several weeks”--Housler could lose Red-shirt!

Jamari Grant out for “several weeks”--Housler could lose Red-shirt!

As if it can get any worse:

With Jamari Grant out several weeks coaches could remove Rob Housler’s red-shirt | FAU Focus blog: Florida Atlantic University Owls sports | The Palm Beach Post

Florida Atlantic has lost starting tight end Jamari Grant for “several weeks” according to coach Howard Schnellenberger and coaches now will make a decision this week on whether to pull tight end Rob Housler’s red-shirt.

Grant sprained his ankle during the Owls’ loss to Louisiana-Monroe. Housler, a senior, is hoping to red-shirt considering his playing time would have been limited because of the depth at tight end.

Schnellenberger was asked on the Sun Belt coaches teleconference today if Housler now would play this season.

“We’re considering it for this game,” he said.

Housler shared the position with Grant last season after Jason Harmon was hurt. He had 32 catches for 519 yards and four scores. He had seven catches his first two years.

Grant and Harmon have been sharing the position this season with sophomore Darian Williams also in the mix. Harmon had career highs in catches (11) and yards (132) against Monroe.

Gent update

When talking about his disappointment in the lack of big plays, Schnellenberger offered this about suspended receiver Cortez Gent: “I don’t know what his situation is going to be now through this coming week.”

Later he was asked if that meant Gent could be reinstated.

“He’s not reinstated as of now. If that would happen, and that’s not a probability, we would make decisions on how we would fit him into the rotation.”

Decisions, decisions

Schnellenberger said he will think harder about his decisions after going for a first down on fourth-and-10 at the end of the half and leaving Monroe with good field position and enough time to kick a field goal.

“The decision I made right before the half giving them the ball back at about the 50 yards line gives me pause to consider my decisions better from now on,” he said.

Nebraska: Sun Belt Champions

Don’t be surprised if Nebraska petitions the NCAA to switch its conference. The Cornhuskers have proven so far this season the only conference it stands a chance of winning is the Sun Belt after running its record to 3-0 with wins over FAU, Arkansas State and Louisiana-Lafayette.

The only time Nebraska has picked on somebody its own size it was beaten by Virginia Tech.

Hope Cornhusker fans have been fired up to see their team kicking sand in the face of the little guys in their first three home games.
Back to the top
Control functions: