Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU to screen movie on hazing

Add topic

Florida Atlantic University is trying to become more a traditional college, adding more dorms, sports, events and Greek life onto its Boca Raton campus.

But there’s one college tradition it hopes to do without: hazing.

On Wednesday, FAU will host a screening of the documentary, “HAZE,” as part of National Hazing Prevention Week.

Full Entry
Back to the top

Re: FAU to screen movie on hazing

Hazing will always exist in some form or another in regards to greek life.
Back to the top

Shame…….

Has no positive function…people go through hard enough times in Life that present wothwhile opportunites to bond around.

Would never judge someone elses loyalty to me by the fact that one of us took a "burned brand", "drank 20 beers out of the oven in 2 hours", or "were forced to go through a blinfolded escapade" at 2:00am with no clothes on…

No thanks!

If one is submissive to the above "torture", how desperate are they for the acceptance of another individual to validate who they are as a human being?

Prove yourself to me!

Uh, no.

This was my choice in College:

Alpha Phi Omega

Proud Member!
Back to the top

There are a lot of Greeks on this board, I can't speak for other fraternities because I don't know what they did. When I pledged my fraternity (AEPi) there really wasn't hazing. There were certain things we had to do in order to get into the fraternity but I wouldn't call it hazing. I'm pretty sure none of the fraternities really haze their pledges at least not at this school.

I have a cousin who pledged a fraternity up at the University of Buffalo and he has told me stories on some of the crap they did to them. Putting extremely hot sauce all over their bodies and stuff like that.

I don't think anything like that happens at FAU. Like I said I can't speak for the other fraternities but when you're in a fraternity you hear stories and things about the other Greeks on campus and I never heard anything. That was also 11 years ago so maybe things changed

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

FAU to screen movie on hazing

I never pledged, (my school didnt have any frats) but my cousin wouldnt even talk to me about some of the stuff he did. He did say it wasnt bad but wouldnt talk about it. Belive he was a Sig Ep.

My only experience with it was when I went to visit a friend at Rollins College. We went to the Def Leppard concert (Yes I dated myself) and back to a dorm room late (midnight or so) to chill after the concert. Being Drunk and hungry, the Frat member we were with (dont remember which Frat) called up his pledge, told him to get up, gave him our Subway order for 5 people and to go pick it up and get one for himself as well if he wanted. Once he got to the room, he invited the pledge in, gave him the money and asked him to join us for beer and the snack, which he did.

I remember thinking that was the type of person I would want to be involved with if I had been in a Frat.

Thats the kind of "hazing" I could see as just fine.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfamily said

I never pledged, (my school didnt have any frats) but my cousin wouldnt even talk to me about some of the stuff he did. He did say it wasnt bad but wouldnt talk about it. Belive he was a Sig Ep.

My only experience with it was when I went to visit a friend at Rollins College. We went to the Def Leppard concert (Yes I dated myself) and back to a dorm room late (midnight or so) to chill after the concert. Being Drunk and hungry, the Frat member we were with (dont remember which Frat) called up his pledge, told him to get up, gave him our Subway order for 5 people and to go pick it up and get one for himself as well if he wanted. Once he got to the room, he invited the pledge in, gave him the money and asked him to join us for beer and the snack, which he did.

I remember thinking that was the type of person I would want to be involved with if I had been in a Frat.

Thats the kind of "hazing" I could see as just fine.

Yeah there was a lot of that, that went on. Hey pledge get me a beer, or hey pledges we got tickets to the panthers game all you guys are going. Really nothing too bad. I'm sure other Greeks on here can agree

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

There is hazing in some form or another in EVERY organization.  When I played sports…I was hazed.  When I was a freshman in high school…I was hazed.  When I started my career I was "hazed" by having to work longer hours and do more demeaning tasks than other seasoned employees.  Of course there is going to be some form of hazing in fraternities…the problem is keeping it in check.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: