Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UWF Tries to Outgrow Image

Add topic

"UWF is just one of several Florida universities that have worked to build up its profile over the past two decades. University of South Florida , which opened its doors in 1960, launched a football program in 1997 and enjoyed a rather meteoric rise, joining the Big East in 2005 and earning its first bowl bid that year as well.

Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton also launched a football team in the past decade. The university had nabbed former University of Miami coach Howard Schnellenberger to build the program and in 2001, the Owls played their first game. FAU joined the NCAA’s Division I in 2006.

And now, UWF is trying emulate those success stories, trying to make itself bigger and friendlier to more traditional students by looking at programs like football, plus adding more scholarships and residence halls."

Full Article
Back to the top

Re: UWF Tries to Outgrow Image

UWF Tries to Outgrow Image

Any word yet on whether the Sun Belt has extended an invitation?
Back to the top

We currently have 9, 10 with USA in 2013.  I say go for the mega-conference 16 team

I think we should focus on Georgia State (geographic), Georgia Southern, Richmond, James Madison, UNC-Charlotte, App State.

With that we get to have two clear division (mini-conferences) that don't have to play each other, thus maximizing OOC games($), and we get a conference championship (Superdome?)

Kick out Denver.

Sun Belt Conference - Gulf Division
Louisiana
Troy
Monroe
North Texas
Arkansas State
Middle Tennessee
Western Kentucky
South Alabama
Sun Belt Conference - Atlantic Division
Florida Atlantic
FIU
Georgia State
Georgia Southern
Richmond
James Madison
Charlotte
Appalachian

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

I like the breakdown and teams with a ton of potential for the future ;)
Back to the top

Hey, why not invite some D-2 and NAIA teams while you're at it?
Back to the top

I nominate Coach Hoza for Head Coach at UWF! Do I have a second? Please??
Back to the top

Rick said

"UWF is just one of several Florida universities that have worked to build up its profile over the past two decades.

Honestly I had never heard of UWF until about a year ago, and that was just because I came across the name randomly on a college website. I've never met anyone who goes there, nor have I ever seen the license plates/shirts/anything.

But then again, maybe that's how people think about FAU in parts of Florida as well.
Back to the top
Control functions: