Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Students to Hold "Parking Protest" On Tuesday

Add topic

Parking at Florida Atlantic University has become so scarce that students are holding a protest on Tuesday, saying they can't make it to class on time.

"Parking is absurd," said FAU junior Kelli Lewandowski, 20, of Lighthouse Point. "I have to get here at 8:30, an hour and a half before my first class, to find a space. Any minute after that, forget it."

Full Story
Back to the top

Re: FAU Students to Hold "Parking Protest" On Tuesday

FAU Students to Hold "Parking Protest" On Tuesday

Find a friend and carpool or live on campus.  This is ridiculous considering the zero parking spots available at FSU after 8 AM, and we still manage to make it to class on time.  The only thing I am against is forcing students to pay for a parking pass even if they don't park on campus, which in her case does not apply.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Weird question but....why cant they just add levels to the parking garages that already exist?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I find this an absolute farce. Anyone who looks into this can see this "protest" is actually a fundraiser and falsely trying to capture the ire of students like myself, who firmly believe there should be a real protest. But, perhaps I'm baised seeing as I've already paid well over the cost of a $7 shirt in absurd parking fees trying to make it to an exam on time. I ask anyone to look into the schools corrupt ticketing structure and lack of follow through with appeals. That deserves a real protest. It's like fining someone for standing in the grass after a fire drill… I still however wish the "protesters" luck, this problem needs as much attention as possible.
Back to the top

While we are on this topic.  Does anyone know who is in charge of parking ticket enforcement at FAU.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Back to the top

MojoGT said

I still however wish the "protesters" luck, this problem needs as much attention as possible.

Nothing's going to change.. that is to say, no plans are going to be put in place that weren't already in motion.

It's hard to drum up sympathy for students when their main argument is, "It's hot and I don't feel like walking." It just makes us look bad. The campus isn't that big. At most you'll walk for 10 minutes to get to campus and that's only if you park west of the Burrow or at the end of the long runway by PBCC. In most cases you can get to the Breezeway in under 5 minutes.
Back to the top

The more things change, the more they stay the same. We were complaining about parking (among other things) in the late 1960s. I wish the protesters luck....
Back to the top

This is stupid, FAU has had a population EXPLOSION since last fall.  That and the new construction has made parking a tad more stressful.  However, I have 3 classes at FAU and even though I live right across the Canal on 20th street I have never been late or missed a class due to lack of parking spots.  What a bunch of clowns, they should have thrown a protest over the lack of progress on the OCS the last few years.
Back to the top

Theres also plenty of parking at towncenter…take the bus 91 from there.  Month pass is 45 bucks.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Parking does suck but they have opened up some grass lots to make up for the parking that was lost from construction. I think the protesters are just lazy. My friend who went to Penn State said she had to walk about a half an hour to get to class and she lived ON CAMPUS. If you were to walk from the apartments to the complete opposite direction to the the Education bldg it only takes 15 minutes, maybe 20 at the most. Get there a half hour early and  your fine. People just want to make things as easy as possible when all it takes is a little effort to make things work.
Back to the top
Control functions: