Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Game Day Thread: FAU vs UNT - Oct. 17th 8:00PM EST

Add topic

FAU @ UNT: Saturday, October 17th, 8:00PM EST.

Internet Radio Broadcast link: FAU vs UNT

TV Broadcast: CSS - Local coverage in South Florida.  Palm Beach County Comcast cable Channel 32.

Team Information:

FAU Game Notes

UNT Game Notes

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

Re: Game Thread: FAU vs UNT - Oct. 17th 8:00PM EST

Game Day Thread: FAU vs UNT - Oct. 17th 8:00PM EST

Line: North Texas by 1 1/2.

Series Record: Florida Atlantic leads 5-0.

Last meeting: 2008, Florida Atlantic 46-13.

North Texas

North Texas has lost 13 straight conference games, which ties the longest streak in the history of the Sun Belt. The Mean Green had a chance to end the slide last week, but blew a 10-point lead to Louisiana-Lafayette.

Florida Atlantic

The Owls have lost consecutive games by two points, including a 30-28 setback to Wyoming on Oct. 3.

Key Matchup:

North Texas' running backs vs. Florida Atlantic's rushing defense. Mean Green RB Lance Dunbar rushed for 187 yards last week filling in for an injured Cam Montgomery. The improved Mean Green ground game averages 172 yards per game. The Owls have struggled against the run, giving up 225.3 yards a contest.

Players to Watch:

Florida Atlantic - LB Michael Lockley leads the Owls with 44 tackles, including 13 in each of the past two games.

North Texas - WR Jamaal Jackson has caught a combined 21 passes the past two games. The junior leads the Mean Green with 32 receptions.

Source:  Associated Press
Back to the top

Pre-game stats…….

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Stats courtesy: www.meangreensports.com
Back to the top

Don't know if the Dirty's are hosting another one at the Lodge this go round, haven't seen anything about watch parties this week.

Nonetheless, if you don't already have commitments and would like to join the soiree at the Wishing Well, you're all more than welcome! Jerry has beer and food specials (and most of us realized last time we were there, the place isn't just good for liquid refreshment) and he's vowed to make the Wishing Well an FAU bar, he'll have the game on 90% of the televisions in the bar.

Cold beer, loose women, and FAU football, The Wishing Well!
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

Don't know if the Dirty's are hosting another one at the Lodge this go round, haven't seen anything about watch parties this week.

Nonetheless, if you don't already have commitments and would like to join the soiree at the Wishing Well, you're all more than welcome! Jerry has beer and food specials (and most of us realized last time we were there, the place isn't just good for liquid refreshment) and he's vowed to make the Wishing Well an FAU bar, he'll have the game on 90% of the televisions in the bar.

Cold beer, loose women, and FAU football, The Wishing Well!

is this the Wishing Well or the Nudy Bar from Married with Children lol.

The Dirties ARE hosting a watch party at the lodge again and I hope both the Lodge and Wishing well are VERY successful. I believe the Lodge is doing $.50 wing special and $10 pitchers of PBR but don't quote me. I'll get Dirty Phil AKA Nunzio to come on tell you the deal.

Unfortunately I'll be watching the game on ESPN 360 while watching the Yankees kick some Angels butt! I am in NY where it is freezing cold and parts of NY had snow yesterday. Pretty drastic change when its 90 in FL every day and you come to NY and the high for the day is 40 lol.

Anyway, I heard the Well was pretty packed last time, as was the Lodge. My suggestion is if you're going to either of those locations get there early so you dont have to stand the entire game

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Um, isnt PBR a low quality beer??

Just curious…i know it used to be right there with Ol' Milwater, and Milwaukee's Beast…if so, not seeing $10 as a bargain by any means!
Back to the top

Rick said

Just curious…i know it used to be right there with Ol' Milwater, and Milwaukee's Beast…if so, not seeing $10 as a bargain by any means!

yeah PBR is a cheap beer. Like I said don't quote me on this. There are bars in NYC that sell PBR cans $1

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

Rick said

yeah PBR is a cheap beer. Like I said don't quote me on this. There are bars in NYC that sell PBR cans $1

There are a few around WPB that have PBR's specials as well…till supply last that is.
Back to the top

Now for some Football.

This is a must WIN game for our Owls, just how will they preform with their backs to the wall?

The defense has shown some improvements, yet still lose focus at times.  During the Last game, the Cowboys hurry-up offense could have played a big part at times.  A young inexperience defense not having faced an offense that was very quick to line-up and go.

This week they face a two headed monster in Dodge & Dunbar, both players had HUGE games against the Cajuns and I would expect them to be a focal point of the Means Green offensive attack today.  Dodge proves to be very good at running the spread & option attack and should force the Owls defenders to play sound defense.  Tackling will be key and being aggressive defensively.  The only way they will be able to contain either players.  Use your speed & aggressiveness to attack the ball.

Offensively if we can eliminate the mental mistakes that have plagued us so far, we should be able to turn things around today and put some points on the board.  Morris could possibly have his best day on the ground and this could be the most total yards of offensive production for the the Owls this season.

So are the Owls ready to play Dodge ball or Owl's ball?

Hopefully they go into Denton, Texas and play the most complete game they have played so far this season, if not, this might turn to be a very disappointing type of season indeed.
Back to the top

I'm optimistic, but I was for the Louisiana-Monroe and Wyoming games as well. Because I have lived in the West in recent years, most of the games I see are west of the Mississippi or the northern Midwest (Michigan State). So most of the games I have see recently have been serious losses (Texas, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State twice, Nebraska, Michigan State) – with the exception of North Texas. Today's game will be the third I have seen in Denton, and I'm optimistic (FAU 31, North Texas 17). I think this is a major character game for both teams. Both desperately need a win. If the Owls can relax a bit, play to their talent and instincts, stay smart and focus for 60 minutes, they should win. If not…well, I hate to think about their long flight home – and the rest of the season.
Back to the top
Control functions: