Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Hall-of-Fame Catcher Gary Carter Named Palm Beach Atlantic Baseball Coach

Add topic

Palm Beach Gardens resident and baseball Hall-of-Fame catcher Gary Carter today was named head baseball coach for the NCAA Division II Palm Beach Atlantic University Sailfish.

404 Error | Palm Beach Atlantic University
Back to the top

Re: Hall-of-Fame Catcher Gary Carter Named Palm Beach Atlantic Baseball Coach

I still hope they go bankrupt and we get to buy that campus for our Med School/Pharmacy

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Hall-of-Fame Catcher Gary Carter Named Palm Beach Atlantic Baseball Coach

SeminOWL2006 said

I still hope they go bankrupt and we get to buy that campus for our Med School/Pharmacy

I'd take their pharmacy school. They can have the rest of the campus.

Running too many campuses spreads out the resources too thin. That's why it's taking us forever to build up the Boca campus. We're investing money into Student Unions and Rec Centers and whatnot for satellite campuses. We can't build a traditional campus on every satellite campus. That money should be invested here in Boca.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Running too many campuses spreads out the resources too thin. That's why it's taking us forever to build up the Boca campus. We're investing money into Student Unions and Rec Centers and whatnot for satellite campuses. We can't build a traditional campus on every satellite campus. That money should be invested here in Boca.

Post of the day goes to: Owlcountry!

The "Constant Battle" for Marketing Brass:

1. We are a commuter school that appeals to large geographic areas - build it and they will come.

vs.

2. We are a traditional University - consolidate all resources to the Main Campus.

Athletics is definitely on board with the latter…

But, of course, this is a very scaled down view of the big picture…sure it is much more complicated than that given the demographical data of the region FAU presides within, and the demand for potential students.  Although maybe not now since we had such a surge in enrollment requests and applications.

Many facets to the ultimate decisions made…….

Catanese started the global approach…obviously, it has since then withered a bit.
Back to the top

I understand the argument for consolidation in Boca….BUT, its not like Med Students really want to interact with undergrads.  Imagine this FAU as a University System instead of simply a University.  Imagine 2020 with just over 40,000 students…dispersed enough to offer a moderately sized Main Campus to appeal to those that dislike the 50k plus alternatives in the state (UF, UCF, USF).

Palm Beach County
Florida Atlantic University at Boca Raton
Main Campus
30,000 students

Florida Atlantic University at Jupiter
Honors College, Cutting Edge Research Park
2,000 students

Florida Atlantic University at West Palm Beach
College of Medicine; College of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences; College of Nursing Extension; Teaching Hospital
500 students

Florida Atlantic University at Lake Worth
Palm Beach State College Co-Op
2,000 students

Florida Atlantic University at Belle Glade
Palm Beach State College Co-Op; Everglades Research Facility; USGS, SFWMD, and Army Corps of Engineers Facilities
500 students

Broward
Florida Atlantic University at Fort Lauderdale
Broward College Co-Op; College of Architecture, Urban, & Public Affairs
1,000 students

Florida Atlantic University at Davie
Broward College Co-Op
2,000 students

Florida Atlantic University at SeaTech
Ocean Engineering Research Facility; College of Engineering
100 students

Treasure Coast
Florida Atlantic University of the Treasure Coast
Indian River State College Co-Op
2,000 students

Florida Atlantic University at Harbor Branch
Marine Science Research Facility; College of Science
100 students

Attachment
143 views (53 Kb)

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

I understand the argument for consolidation in Boca….BUT, its not like Med Students really want to interact with undergrads.  Imagine this FAU as a University System instead of simply a University.  Imagine 2020 with just over 40,000 students…dispersed enough to offer a moderately sized Main Campus to appeal to those that dislike the 50k plus alternatives in the state (UF, UCF, USF).

I'd like to see at least 40,000+ FAU students too, though I don't want people coming here because other schools had too many students and we were the smaller brother. Almost everyone wants the big time college experience and we should give it to them to the best of our ability. The 5-10% of people who want an "intimate" experience can go to New College or Stetson or Flagler or one of those.

So I'm not against FAU as a University System… eventually. My view is to make Boca into the uber-campus and then build out from there. FAU Boca still needs (at the very least) the football stadium, 3600 more beds, 4-6 Greek houses, a larger bookstore and a new Student Union (either convert the SO building or build an all-new SU in the Innovation Village area). We have the football stadium on the way, 2400 beds on the way and who knows about the other things.

Well, I talked to one of the managers at the campus bookstore and he said that while budget cuts affected any renovation/expansion this year, they're considering whether they're going to add a second story to the existing bookstore or build an all new one at Innovation Village. If they build the new one at Innovation Village they may still keep the existing one as trade books - you know, the typical books you can buy at a Barnes and Nobles. That's a pretty cool idea, although when you consider that right across Glades we have one of the best B&N in Florida, we may not need one.

Back to the top
Control functions: