Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GMAC Bowl will fedature MAC vs Sun Belt 2010-2013

While not official, Ive heard from a few people that this is a done deal.

This article is written from a Alabama newspaper so there is a slight Troy/USA slant.

al.com: Sports

Welcome to the Sun Belt GMAC Bowl! (Sunbelt BBS discussion)

Sports Columnist Randy Kennedy

Sun Belt good fit for bowl
Friday, October 16, 2009

The rapidly changing college football bowl landscape is about to have a major impact on Mobile's GMAC Bowl.

Within the next couple of weeks, bowl officials are expected to announce a tie-in with the Sun Belt Conference that could pave the way for the Troy Trojans to play a bowl game in their home state as early as next season and for the South Alabama Jaguars to play their first bowl game ever in their home stadium.

This season's game, scheduled for Jan. 6 at Ladd-Peebles Stadium, is still set to feature a team from the Mid-American Conference against the No. 9 team from the Atlantic Coast Conference.

The MAC team will almost certainly be Central Michigan, a good team with a marquee star at quarterback. Some college football experts have compared Dan LeFevour to Tim Tebow, and LeFevour's career rushing and passing numbers are equal or superior to the Florida star's (though not against the consistently strong competition). Central Michigan has reeled off five straight wins — including an impressive victory at Michigan State — after opening the season with a 19-6 setback at Arizona.

But figuring out who the Chippewas will play in Mobile is part of the impetus for the decision to partner with the Sun Belt Conference. The No. 9 team in the ACC could be Florida State in perhaps Bobby Bowden's final season or Clemson or North Carolina. That sounds great. The problem is that none of those teams are guaranteed to win the six games necessary to become bowl eligible. Today there are eight ACC teams at .500 or better. That would leave GMAC Bowl officials scrambling for an eligible at-large team that isn't contractually obligated to another bowl.

This season that could mean Southern Miss, Hawaii or who knows what other team. That's not the position anyone wants to be in seven weeks before bowl matchups are finalized.

To further complicate matters, the bowl scene is getting more crowded every year. Dallas and New York are expected to host new bowls beginning next season, bringing the total number to 36. There simply aren't 72 bowl-eligible teams available many years, meaning some bowls that are banking on the ACC or SEC to have eight or nine bowl-eligible teams are going to get shut out as often as they get rewarded by gambling on those high-profile conferences.

Once the GMAC Bowl agrees to a four-year deal to bring top teams from the MAC and Sun Belt to Mobile, there won't be any need to worry about being left without a matchup. Also, the agreement is expected to include a clause that would allow the GMAC Bowl to instead take a 6-6 SEC or ACC team if a more compelling matchup could be brokered.

The best part about this expected Sun Belt-GMAC Bowl agreement is that it should be beneficial to the emerging South Alabama program, which will be bowl-eligible for the first time in 2013 (the last year of the agreement). The support that has been shown to USA football should spill over to the GMAC Bowl, plus there won't be any concern about the bowl being left without two eligible teams.

In this changing bowl landscape, that's an assurance that's too good to pass up.

Contact Sports Editor Randy Kennedy at:

[email protected]

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Re: GMAC Bowl will fedature MAC vs Sun Belt 2010-2013

This is great if it goes through. The Sun Belt could have three guaranteed bowl games in 2010: New Orleans Bowl, The Cure Bowl and the GMAC Bowl.

"FAU is on a collision course with the national championship. The only variable is time."
Back to the top

GMAC Bowl will fedature MAC vs Sun Belt 2010-2013

yeah, there may be too many bowl games, but if it is the only way to get more SB teams, then I am all for it!
Back to the top

Owlando said

This is great if it goes through. The Sun Belt could have three guaranteed bowl games in 2010: New Orleans Bowl, The Cure Bowl and the GMAC Bowl.

The Cure bowl has not been approved yet and is still looking for a major sposnor. It is possible this bowl wont make it for 2010 or even beyond.

I hope it does, as I think Orlando is a great destination and of cousrse if FAU was in it would make it very easy to attend.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

The only problem is that we might not see enough bowl-eligible SBC teams every year. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

AFAIK, the SBC can only have two bowl games for 2010. I don't think the Orlando bowl will happen.
Back to the top

I hope "the Cure" bowl does happen, and it may have to wait for another bowl to fold. As for the GMAC, a 6-6 SEC team will bump the Belt out EVERYTIME!
Back to the top

Basically for the Sun Belt to be able to support more bowls we need to all start playing one FCS team a year.  Some already do this, but most don't.  If every team did that that would be like 9 pretty secure wins for the conference that may have been losses othwerwise

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top
Control functions: