Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Dolphin's Patrick Cobbs’ knee injury brings back memories of game against Owls

Patrick Cobbs’ knee injury brings back memories of game against Owls

by Tom D'Angelo
Patrick Cobbs’ injury must have brought back bad memories for the former North Texas star.

Cobbs, the versatile Dolphins running back, tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during Monday’s victory over the Jets. In 2004, during the season’s second game, Cobbs injured the same knee and sat out the rest of the season.

The opponent: Florida Atlantic.

Still, Cobbs rebounded splendidly. After using the year as a red shirt he returned in 2005 to average 104.9 yards, which was second best in the Sun Belt Conference. The year before the injury, Cobbs led the nation in rushing with 152.7 yards per game and scoring with 11.5 points per game.

Cobbs remains second in Sun Belt history in yards in a career (4,050) and season (1,680) and rushing touchdowns in a season (19).

When FAU plays at North Texas this week, the Owls will face the Mean Green’s best rushing attack since Cobbs’ years. Lance Dunbar is third in the SBC with 77 yards per game. He is coming off a 187-yard game against Louisiana-Lafayette that earned him conference offensive player of the week honors.
Back to the top

Re: Dolphin's Patrick Cobbs’ knee injury brings back memories of game against Owls

For all of the Dolphin Fans out there; Cobbs will sorely be missed.  The reason why Williams & Brown are tearing off yards, is because of Cobbs lead blocking.  He is an exceptional 3rd down back/blocking back!
Back to the top

Re: Dolphin's Patrick Cobbs’ knee injury brings back memories of game against Owls

Dolphin's Patrick Cobbs’ knee injury brings back memories of game against Owls

If FAU ever decides to give the ball to Alfred Morris more than 19x a game that record of 19 rushing TDs will surely fall. I loved Charles Pierre and I believed Pierre was the best RB in school history. That was until Alfred Morris came along, FAU has never been a running team they always relied a lot on the arm of the QB. While we all know Rusty has the arm and the ability to make the plays, Alfred Morris can easily finish his career as one of the top RBs in the Sun Belt. As  RS Sophomore he's got 2 more years and he should only get better. FAU needs to hand him the ball more than 19x a game. He should be getting the ball close to 25x a game. If they did that he would easily be over 100 yard a game and over 1,000 yards for the season. A successful run game will create an even better passing game

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

If FAU ever decides to give the ball to Alfred Morris more than 19x a game that record of 19 rushing TDs will surely fall. I loved Charles Pierre and I believed Pierre was the best RB in school history. That was until Alfred Morris came along, FAU has never been a running team they always relied a lot on the arm of the QB. While we all know Rusty has the arm and the ability to make the plays, Alfred Morris can easily finish his career as one of the top RBs in the Sun Belt. As  RS Sophomore he's got 2 more years and he should only get better. FAU needs to hand him the ball more than 19x a game. He should be getting the ball close to 25x a game. If they did that he would easily be over 100 yard a game and over 1,000 yards for the season. A successful run game will create an even better passing game

I couldn't agree anymore!  Morris should be getting 25 to 30 touches per game and this would definitely open up the field to bigger plays for the passing game!  If it is working, keep going to the well–that's just common sense ;D 
Back to the top

OWL4EVER said

For all of the Dolphin Fans out there; Cobbs will sorely be missed.  The reason why Williams & Brown are tearing off yards, is because of Cobbs lead blocking.  He is an exceptional fullback!

Cobbs isn't the blocking fullback.  That is Lou Politte.  Cobbs is the 3rd back and returns kicks.
Back to the top

Baller07 said

OWL4EVER said

For all of the Dolphin Fans out there; Cobbs will sorely be missed.  The reason why Williams & Brown are tearing off yards, is because of Cobbs lead blocking.  He is an exceptional fullback!

Cobbs isn't the blocking fullback.  That is Lou Politte.  Cobbs is the 3rd back and returns kicks.

I agree that Politte is the FullBack.  However, # 38 was paving the way for all of Williams & Brown big runs on Monday Night Football (until he got hurt).  Even the announcers pointed out during replay (a few times) that #38 made the block that gave Miami the First Down.  
Back to the top

OWL4EVER said

Baller07 said

OWL4EVER said

For all of the Dolphin Fans out there; Cobbs will sorely be missed.  The reason why Williams & Brown are tearing off yards, is because of Cobbs lead blocking.  He is an exceptional fullback!

Cobbs isn't the blocking fullback.  That is Lou Politte.  Cobbs is the 3rd back and returns kicks.

I agree that Politte is the FullBack.  However, # 38 was paving the way for all of Williams & Brown big runs on Monday Night Football (until he got hurt).  Even the announcers pointed out during replay (a few times) that #38 made the block that gave Miami the First Down.

Whatever the case, he is Sparano's favorite player, so he must be valuable in more ways than one.  Tough loss.  Lex Hilliard will have a huge opportunity to step up.

But bringing this back to FAU Football, Morris runs like no other FAU back has.  I love Edge and Pierre, but Morris finds a seam quick, doesn't hesitate and blasts through the first defenders.  I agree with everyone who says he should receive more touches.  HS should take a lesson from his old friend Don Shula.  Shula had always been a ball control, running-style offensive coach until he drafted Dan Marino.  He tailored his offense to Dan.  While FAU still has a QB we all hope is still capable of shouldering the load,  the fact is, right now Morris is carrying the load.  Run with it!   
Back to the top

Baller07 said

OWL4EVER said

Baller07 said

OWL4EVER said

Whatever the case, he is Sparano's favorite player, so he must be valuable in more ways than one.  Tough loss.  Lex Hilliard will have a huge opportunity to step up.

But bringing this back to FAU Football, Morris runs like no other FAU back has.  I love Edge and Pierre, but Morris finds a seam quick, doesn't hesitate and blasts through the first defenders.  I agree with everyone who says he should receive more touches.  HS should take a lesson from his old friend Don Shula.  Shula had always been a ball control, running-style offensive coach until he drafted Dan Marino.  He tailored his offense to Dan.  While FAU still has a QB we all hope is still capable of shouldering the load,  the fact is, right now Morris is carrying the load.  Run with it!

Well Said!
Back to the top
Control functions: