Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

What's Up with Owls recruiting?

Add topic

I know we are far from April, and nothing if official till they sign their letters, but I couldn't help by notice the following:

I went on ESPN's college football recruiting page today to see if there were any new commits to FAU. According to ESPN (info provided by Scout, Inc.), FAU has 1 verbal commitment:

NAME                    GRADE POS  HT   WT   SCHOOL                 STATUS
Alexander DeLeon  40   TE 6-3 187 Belleview H.S. (FL) Verbal

FAU already has four returning TE's in 2010, all of which are currently FR. or SO., plus Rob Housler (I believe) has one more year of eligibility…. so 5 possible Tight Ends next season. So why are we offering a scholarship to this kid, when we aren't in need of another TE? This kid does not have any other offers on the table and with a grade of 40, why would we want him?

Secondly, I checked FIU's recruiting page….they have 12 verbal commits to FIU, including one kid from BOCA RATON!

Do we not have the resources to begin recruiting this early? Do the coaching staff just not care about recruiting this early?

I need to know why FAU currently has less verbal commitments than every other SBC team.

"FAU is on a collision course with the national championship. The only variable is time."
Back to the top

Re: What's Up with Owls recruiting?

It's old school versus new school…

HS likes to keep it traditional, with everything leading up to signing day itself…although his Assistants are encouraging him to "change" :)

We have at least 14 offers outstanding at present…

DE, and OL account for half of them…
Back to the top

Like Rick said, we may have as many if not more commits than FIU but Howard doesn't like it to get out. If we have a kid who is interested in us then FIU finds out they can possibly persuade him to sign with them. Using the the OCS (On Campus Stadium) as a recruiting tool. Plus they can use the same things FAU has to offer if the kid is from Florida having his friends/family come watch him. So Howard feels if no one knows who we have offers or verbals to, they can't try and convince him to sign somewhere else

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

We never know anything until spring right before signing.  I like the surprise personally, it lets us focus on the football season during the football season and recruiting during recruiting season, instead of worrying about how great some kid is that won't even be on the field until 2011 at the earliest.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

We never know anything until spring right before signing.  I like the surprise personally, it lets us focus on the football season during the football season and recruiting during recruiting season, instead of worrying about how great some kid is that won't even be on the field until 2011 at the earliest.

That would be fine, if every other school waited until "recruiting season" to begin worrying about recruiting, but they don't. They are arranging visits, phone calls, emails, texts….. and they are doing it now.

Jake Medlock is a three-star rated QB, who received offers from Miami, Arkansas, Virginia, FIU and FAU.

Jake has verbally committed to FIU.

One guy FAU is currently considering is three-star WR Pat Harris, FIU also has an offer out to him. Do we want FIU to have another T.Y. Hilton, or do we want him, especially since we are losing our receiving core after this year is over.

FAU has an offer out to Brian O'Leary, the second highest ranked OC in the state that is still undeclared. Guess who else has offers out to him: UCF and USF.

I love our Coach, but he needs to stop living in the past and have a modern approach with regard to recruiting.

"FAU is on a collision course with the national championship. The only variable is time."
Back to the top

What's Up with Owls recruiting?

I didnt say the coaches don't start recruiting until Spring, we just don't hear about it until Spring because:

A) No FAU fans are on the Rivals website to pay for people to call players and ask them.
B) FAU coaches don't talk about who they are recruiting.

TY Hilton was a fluke, he literally went to FIU based on the decision of his little kid (who liked the FIU hat more than the WVU hat).  Every year we get worried about recruiting and every year FIU claims to have a better recruiting class….yet we still rock their world in the Shula Bowl. 

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

I didnt say the coaches don't start recruiting until Spring, we just don't hear about it until Spring because:

A) No FAU fans are on the Rivals website to pay for people to call players and ask them.
B) FAU coaches don't talk about who they are recruiting.

TY Hilton was a fluke, he literally went to FIU based on the decision of his little kid (who liked the FIU hat more than the WVU hat).  Every year we get worried about recruiting and every year FIU claims to have a better recruiting class….yet we still rock their world in the Shula Bowl.

+1

Im over the whole "Number of Stars" and other such nonsense that recuriting seems to bring out.

I have faith that Coach and the others know what they are doing.

That being said, one DOES have to wonder about the number of Walk-Ons that make the team. Are the schollarship players weve recurited for those positions not working out? Seems like weve had an inordinate amount of them.

Let me just say also, I love the concept of a walk on as an example…..

Marcus Bartels is one Fiery, TOUGH SOB.  ;D

During the Wyoming game, I saw him pop a guy and come of the field. He looked bad. He proceeded to vomit by the fence line, wiped his mouth, put on his helmet and was back out there on the next play.

THATS football tough, and if every player who had size and god given ability had that attitude our D would be great.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Seriously I don't know what I can't stand more…the impetus that's put on "stars" or someone EVERY SINGLE YEAR coming on here and complaining that there are no updates on Rivals or Scout so we must not be out there recruiting. Were you not around last year? or the last 9?? we never have updates, get used to it.

And until we no longer have the facilities of a ghetto high school, we'll be recruiting diamonds in the rough over 3 star kids. But so far, I think we've done a decent job at that.
Back to the top

Totally agree TeamBeer…

On a side note:

We have a handful of "three star" offers out there this year…the problem is they have alot of offers to choose from…
Back to the top

Owlando said

SeminOWL2006 said

One guy FAU is currently considering is three-star WR Pat Harris, FIU also has an offer out to him. Do we want FIU to have another T.Y. Hilton, or do we want him, especially since we are losing our receiving core after this year is over.

FIU has T.Y. Hilton, we have Bam-Bam Morris. I'll take Morris ;)

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top
Control functions: