Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SEC Commissioner Suspends Officiating Crew . . .

Add topic

SEC commish Mike Slive suspends officiating crew from Saturday’s Florida-Arkansas game
October 21st, 2009 by Ben Volin

Arkansas players and coaches complained after Saturday’s 23-20 loss to Florida that they got a raw deal on a few penalties, specifically a personal foul penalty on Malcolm Sheppard in the fourth quarter that gave the Gators first-and-goal at Arkansas’ 10-yard line.

Monday, SEC spokesman Charles Bloom announced that the conference determined there was “no evidence” to support a personal foul penalty. Wednesday, SEC commissioner Mike Slive went a step further, suspending the officiating crew for its next assignment on Oct. 31 for a “series of calls that have occurred during the last several weeks,” Slive said in a statement.

The crew, led by head official Marc Curles, also called a questionable pass interference call against Arkansas’ Ramon Broadway on the same series as Sheppard’s personal foul. Curles’ crew also officiated the LSU-Georgia game two weeks ago, in which three questionable “excessive celebration” penalties were issued toward the end of the game. The crew will be eligible to officiate again on Nov. 14.

“I believe our officiating program is the best in the country, however, there are times when these actions must be taken,” Slive said. “While only a few calls have been identified, the entire crew shoulders responsibility for each play. I have taken this action because there must be accountability in our officiating program. Our institutions expect the highest level of officiating in all of our sports and it is the duty of the conference office to uphold that expectation.”
Back to the top

Re: SEC Commissioner Suspends Officiating Crew . . .

“I believe our officiating program is the best in the country, however, there are times when these actions must be taken,” Slive said. “While only a few calls have been identified, the entire crew shoulders responsibility for each play. I have taken this action because there must be accountability in our officiating program. Our institutions expect the highest level of officiating in all of our sports and it is the duty of the conference office to uphold that expectation.”

The best money can buy Florida that is . Arkansas got screwed, There should have been offenseive pass interference toward the end of the game instead they called it on Ark. that really put Ark in a bad spot on the field and basically handed the game to florida.
Back to the top

Talon said

The best money can buy Florida that is . Arkansas got screwed, There should have been offenseive pass interference toward the end of the game instead they called it on Ark. that really put Ark in a bad spot on the field and basically handed the game to florida.

I would not be surprised if there are a lot of hands/money/gears/whatever you want to say at work here behind the scenes insuring that UF has the best chance to get back to the NC game.
Back to the top

SEC Commissioner Suspends Officiating Crew . . .

That crew would still be the cream of the crop in the Sun Belt. I know every fan in every conference probably feels the same, but the Sun Belt officiating crews have got to the be the worst in the country hands down. I hate them….and I'm only kind of joking about that  :D
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

That crew would still be the cream of the crop in the Sun Belt. I know every fan in every conference probably feels the same, but the Sun Belt officiating crews have got to the be the worst in the country hands down. I hate them….and I'm only kind of joking about that  :D

Agree!
Back to the top
Control functions: