Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UCF in a bind - Marcus Jordan won't wear Adidas

Add topic

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4585723

ORLANDO, Fla. – A fight over the shoes Michael Jordan's son will wear at the University of Central Florida could cost the school financially.

Freshman guard Marcus Jordan is refusing to wear shoes made by adidas, the brand the university has a contract with for all its sports. He says he will only wear his father's Nike Air Jordan shoes because it holds special meaning to his family.

The problem is UCF is in the final year of its contract with adidas that requires coaches and athletes to use the company's apparel and equipment. UCF says its five-year deal with adidas ends June 30, 2010.

There have been media reports that UCF UCF is negotiating a new deal that could be worth up to $3 million and last up to six years.

UCF said in a statement Thursday that adidas was aware of the situation during contract renewal discussions. The university says it was "led to believe that there would be a workable solution to a unique situation."

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

Re: UCF in a bind - Marcus Jordan won't wear Adidas

All MJ hype aside…

Why the drama?

You going to the school to get an education and play for them, or to get intertwined in a marketing effort?

If the latter, then go somewhere that has a contract with Nike?

Back to the top

UCF in a bind - Marcus Jordan won't wear Adidas

I thought most famous athletes kids don't want to be compared to their father. You always hear "I want to be my own person, I'm not him" I guess that doesn't apply in the Jordan family. So much for wanting to be your own person. You're not Michael that's apparent or you wouldn't be going to UCF. So quit your whining and be a team player

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

The only reason UCF wants him is so that they can tell recruits Michael Jordan is at every game…

He has no offers from Major programs…….

Davidson is his best offer…
Back to the top

Rick said

The only reason UCF wants him is so that they can tell recruits Michael Jordan is at every game…

He has no offers from Major programs…….

Davidson is his best offer…

Exactly, people need to remember that the reason he is at UCF is because he's a decent not an amazing player.  UCF fans were delusional, I recall seeing a thread on their board stating that now that they have Micheal Jordan's son they will have a huge donor for life…. ::)

If they don't work something out I bet he transfers.
Back to the top

ORLANDO, Fla. – A fight over the shoes Michael Jordan's son will wear at the University of Central Florida has cost the school any future sponsorship with adidas. Full Story

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Still trying to figure out why he went there in the first place??

Can anyone answer that question??
Back to the top

Rick said

well adidas already dropped ucf. Ucf is not worried though. It's just a matter of time until the Jordan brand or Nike will come in and sign ucf. Marcus went to ucf because his dad lives in Orlando, his best friend plays for ucf, and the facilities at ucf are top notch. Not to mention that Orlando is a grat place to live and there is plenty to do.
Back to the top

Owl said

Rick said

well adidas already dropped ucf. Ucf is not worried though. It's just a matter of time until the Jordan brand or Nike will come in and sign ucf. Marcus went to ucf because his dad lives in Orlando, his best friend plays for ucf, and the facilities at ucf are top notch. Not to mention that Orlando is a grat place to live and there is plenty to do.

All of the above and probably also because that was the best he could do. If he were a legit prospect he would have gone to a major program.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Adidas told UCF while they were recruiting Marcus that this exception would be fine.  Somewhere between then and him playing in the first exhibition game someone at Adidas had a change of heart.

If he was promised this perk, then IMO he should exercise it.  This isn't his problem, it's UCF's problem…and I'm glad UCF isn't backing off their promise to Marcus.

FWIW, at the exhibition game, Marcus wore all-white shoes with the only MJ logo beneath the sole.  Immediately above his shoes, he wore a band with a bold Adidas logo on it.  That and the rest of his uniform was all Adidas.

www.essency.net
Back to the top
Control functions: