Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Chris Bonner "The New Deep Threat"

Chris Bonner "The New Deep Threat"

Florida Atlantic talking points: Chris Bonner has become the new deep threat

by Tom D'Angelo

After a 51-29 victory at Louisiana-Lafayette, the Owls seem to have solved some problems at receiver. That’s where we start today’s talking points:

1. Chris Bonner is the new deep threat

For three years Chris Bonner found himself in the shadows of Cortez Gent. Now, Bonner not only has zoomed pass Gent, but he’s becoming the game breaking type of receiver that could just help Florida Atlantic turn another disastrous start into something special.

Bonner equaled his career high (which he set last week) with 134 receiving yards in Saturday’s 51-29 victory at Louisiana-Lafayette. The most amazing part, it came on two catches _ 70 and 64 yards _ both resulting in touchdowns. And to top it off, Saturday was his 23rd birthday. “That had nothing to do with me throwing to him a lot,” quarterback Rusty Smith cracked.

Bonner now has the two biggest receiving games in the Sun Belt Conference this season.

2. Never mind the yards; the defense bounced back
Florida Atlantic may have allowed 372 yards of total offense, but Saturday’s victory was a step in the right direction for this embattled ground.

The Owls’ special teams was responsible for nine of Lafayette’s 29 points, giving the Ragin’ Cajuns a short field on Avery Holley’s fumble on a punt return that resulted in a touchdown and two points on a returned blocked extra point. The Owls had trouble with ULL’s backup quarterback Brad McGuire, who scored three times after taking the snap and running up the middle. Otherwise, this was an improvement for the defense ranked 114th in country entering the game.

3. Special teams still anything but special

With the exception of punter Mickey Groody, Florida Atlantic’s special teams have been a disaster. The special teams cost FAU 13 points Saturday when punt Holley’s fumble led to ULL’s first touchdown, Pahokee’s Dwight Bentley returned a blocked extra point for two points (and costing FAU one) and Ross Gornall’s 36-yard attempt was blocked.

The Owls have had a punt blocked punt, two field goals blocked and missed two extra points, and the season is just half over. Jason Harmon almost added to the misery Saturday, but he recovered his own fumble on a kickoff return.
Back to the top

Re: Chris Bonner "The New Deep Threat"

I don't know how I feel about our star tight end returning kickoffs either, he's slow, big and too important to get smoked out there on a return in my opinion.
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

I don't know how I feel about our star tight end returning kickoffs either, he's slow, big and too important to get smoked out there on a return in my opinion.

I agree, surely there's gotta be someone else who can return a kick. What about Gent? Barasch, he doesn't see any playing time. Pretty sure he's not RS didn't he RS last season?

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

TeamBeer said

I agree, surely there's gotta be someone else who can return a kick. What about Gent? Barasch, he doesn't see any playing time. Pretty sure he's not RS didn't he RS last season?

I asy let xavier Stinson get some shots at it, since we dont have a dedicated person.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Put Barasch and Stinson back there.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

Barasch yes, Stinson no.

Stinson is a slower power runner. He's better at the line of scrimmage. I want the fastest guys on the team returning punts. Barasch can get up to speed and fly plus he needs the game experience so he can start next year.
Back to the top

What about Amos Wood? The guy has hands right?
Back to the top

owlcountry said

SeminOWL2006 said

Barasch yes, Stinson no.

Stinson is a slower power runner. He's better at the line of scrimmage. I want the fastest guys on the team returning punts. Barasch can get up to speed and fly plus he needs the game experience so he can start next year.

Start next year?? I think Morris has the position locked up. Don't expect Barasch to be starting at RB for a long time.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Barasch should be in the rotation to keep Morris fresh, won't start but should get plenty of touches.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Start next year?? I think Morris has the position locked up. Don't expect Barasch to be starting at RB for a long time.

Yeah, sorry, I meant to share duties with Morris… to give Morris a breather so he doesn't have to be on every drive.
Back to the top
Control functions: