Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Here is why we lost to MTSU...

SPECIAL TEAMS!!!!

This game should have been:
FAU: 23 – MTSU: 20

FAU needs to spend money on special team coaching, because not only are we ranked worst in the nation at it, but it is costing us games like wins against MTSU. We can't continue to let them coach themselves.

Don't believe me…

Mickey Groody punt blocked by SaCoby Carter, returned by Benjamin Cunningham, Benjamin Cunningham for 29 yards, to the FlAtl 0 for a TOUCHDOWN.

This is 7 of MTSU's 27-points.

Ross Gornall 34 yard field goal BLOCKED out-of-bounds.

Cost FAU 3 points.

"FAU is on a collision course with the national championship. The only variable is time."
Back to the top

Re: Here is why we lost to MTSU...

you mean Not-so-special Teams!!!
Back to the top

Here is why we lost to MTSU...

NCowl said

you mean Not-so-special Teams!!!

our special teams are DEFINITELY SPECIAL

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

FAU Owls football & basketball, news, reports, players, analysis – FAU Focus blog on PalmBeachPost.com

FAU opponents having a block party

The Owls spent time last week working on field goal protection. Apparently, all that work went to waste as Ross Gornall had field goal blocked, the third this season.

And now, another special teams worry. Mickey Groody, who was named to the Ray Guy Award watch list last week, had two punts blocked, one returned for a touchdown, and he was tackled on one punt attempt after being pressured as soon as he handled the snap.

“That’s a shortcoming of mine, and my assistant coaches that work with those teams and we have to get that straightened out or it can happen again,” Schnellenberger said.

what a quote from Coach…. "fix it or it will happen again". WOW! he sounds very concerned. Man it's going to be a very long and disappointing season. Can the 2010 season hurry up and start already.

"FAU is on a collision course with the national championship. The only variable is time."
Back to the top

I can't defend the kicking anymore. Last year was the same Leroy was 10 of 13 with two blocks. This year more blocks on Ross. Something has to give. From speaking to players they said that last week was the first time that extra attention was brought to special team. But that didn't help. I'm not a UF fan but to make their special teams you better be good. So maybe some of our better blockers need to be out there. But I will no longer try and make sense of the special teams.
Back to the top

faufano1 said

I can't defend the kicking anymore.

Unfortunately, it's much more than just the kicker. MTSU I believed blocked two punts (1 for a TD), and blocked a FG. So, it sounds like there are a ton of blocking issues on special teams.

Back to the top

I was just as concerned with coaching decisions - such as going for the TD late instead of the FG when the game was tied and FAU had just driven inside the MTSU red zone. MTSU scoed two plays later for the win. FAU did the same thing in the first half and got the TD on that one. Still, it should have been a FG.
Back to the top

Don't feel bad about our loss.

MTSU is leading FIU 24-0 with 13:35 to go in the SECOND QUARTER.
Back to the top
Control functions: