Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Rusty likely out Saturday vs. UAB

Heard coach this morning on the radio live from some golfing event and he said “It is very unlikely that he (Smith) will play this weekend.”

I don't know about after that but it seems like JVC will get his first start on Saturday

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Rusty likely out Saturday vs. UAB

First start and first win!

The season is already shot, I hope Rusty heals up and is able to salvage some yards and TDs from this whole debacle but in the mean time, get JVC some reps, the kid has a cannon and is mobile and I'm excited to see what he can do when he gets more than one drive. He's already proven that he can move the team upfield.
Back to the top

Official--Jeff Van Camp to replace Rusty Smith at quarterback Saturday for FAU

Jeff Van Camp to replace Rusty Smith at quarterback Saturday for Florida Atlantic

by Tom D'Angelo

Jeff Van Camp will replace Rusty Smith as the Owls starting quarterback Saturday at UAB.

Smith sprained the AC join on his left (non-throwing) shoulder in Saturday’s 27-20 loss to Middle Tennessee. He was examined Monday and although those results have not been released, coach Howard Schnellenberger said Van Camp would receive his first start in Birmingham.

Smith will end a streak of 36 consecutive starts.

Smith was injured in the fourth quarter with the score tied at 20. After MTSU took the lead with 5:31 to play, Van Camp entered for his first significant playing time in his four years at FAU.

Van Camp completed 5-of-9 passes for 73 yards. On fourth down from the 23 Van Camp hit Cortez Gent near the 8 yard line with a minute remaining in the game. After one official ruled a catch the officials huddled and reversed the call, saying the defender drove him out of bounds.

Middle Tennessee took over and ran out the clock.

“We won’t change the offense,” Schnellenberger said Saturday. “He handled the offense very well. We probably don’t have as good a chance to win with him as we do with Rusty but I think we still have a very good chance to win.”
Back to the top

Re: Official--Jeff Van Camp to replace Rusty Smith at quarterback Saturday for FAU

OWL4EVER said

“He handled the offense very well. We probably don’t have as good a chance to win with him as we do with Rusty but I think we still have a very good chance to win.”

Because Rusty has just been throwing for 500 yards a game with 5 TDs and no mistakes right? Way to have confidence coach! If you don't think you have as good of a chance to win  with JVC then why'd you recruit him?!? I'm sorry but that comment pisses me off

Back to the top

Re: Official--Jeff Van Camp to replace Rusty Smith at quarterback Saturday for FAU

Because Rusty has just been throwing for 500 yards a game with 5 TDs and no mistakes right? Way to have confidence coach! If you don't think you have as good of a chance to win  with JVC then why'd you recruit him?!? I'm sorry but that comment pisses me off

Agree!!!
Back to the top

Here is FAU's Official word:

Florida Atlantic University’s quarterback Rusty Smith was examined on Monday. A full status report is expected by Tuesday.

“Rusty was examined today (Monday),” said Howard Schnellenberger, FAU’s head coach. “We will have a full report on Tuesday and will begin our game preparation then. At this juncture, we will proceed as if Jeff Van Camp will be this Saturday’s starter.”

Source:  FAU Media Relations

Back to the top

Jab979 said

OWL4EVER said

“He handled the offense very well. We probably don’t have as good a chance to win with him as we do with Rusty but I think we still have a very good chance to win.”

I don't care who the backup is, as a HC you never say that the team won't have as good of a chance to win. Not good for team morale.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I don't know guys.  Who here actually thinks that we have the same or better chance of beating UAB with JVC instead of Rusty? Anyone? Coach is being honest, and I am pretty sure you guys would be on him if he was saying "JVC can handle the team as well as Rusty can, if not better".  That would be a lie and everyone would complain that he was giving the team and JVC too much credit.

Are we really that concerned about team "morale" when the consensus is that our team plays way better as an underdog?  We are not a good team and we lost our streaky, sometimes great QB.  JVC has not proven that he is as good as Rusty CAN be so I agree with coach, we probably don't have as good a chance to win, but we weren't going to win anyways so who cares!

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

I love Coach but he is old. Someone needs to filter what he says.
I think we will be surprised to see how well JVC does and how well our team responds to him. He has patiently waited his turn, in spite of what the HC has continually said about him.
Bad moral ……. losses ….again …. look at the coaching staff !!

Go Jeff  - it is your time to shine !!!
Back to the top

Rusty likely out Saturday vs. UAB

SeminOWL2006 said

I don't know guys.  Who here actually thinks that we have the same or better chance of beating UAB with JVC instead of Rusty? Anyone? Coach is being honest, and I am pretty sure you guys would be on him if he was saying "JVC can handle the team as well as Rusty can, if not better".  That would be a lie and everyone would complain that he was giving the team and JVC too much credit.

Are we really that concerned about team "morale" when the consensus is that our team plays way better as an underdog?  We are not a good team and we lost our streaky, sometimes great QB.  JVC has not proven that he is as good as Rusty CAN be so I agree with coach, we probably don't have as good a chance to win, but we weren't going to win anyways so who cares!

The thing is how do we know how good or bad JVC will play? Pretty sure we've really only seen him in limited roles. Wasn't the same thing being said about Rusty when he was a back up and he was going to play for the first time as a starter.

Yes may have said there's no way JVC will give us as good of a chance to win but there's a difference between the fans saying it and your head coach. I have faith in VanCamp and I think we will be pleasantly surprised

Back to the top
Control functions: