Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Rusty Smith Appreciation Thread

Rusty Smith Appreciation Thread

With the sad news that Rusty's college career is over, it is only appropriate we have a thread dedicated to the best player to ever put on an FAU helmet.  Thanks for everything Rusty and best of luck at the next level!  This season may be turning into a disappointment, but everything FAU has accomplished over the past 4 years is a direct result of our QB.  #11 will always have a special place in FAU history.  I look forward to the day we retire the number at the new stadium in Boca Raton!

GO OWLS!!! GO RUSTY SMITH!!!
Back to the top

Re: Rusty Smith Appreciation Thread

Well said!

We have been Blessed to have such a fine young man of Character and Faith leading the charge for his tenure.  Although this is not the way any of us would have liked to see him end his career as an Owl on the playing field, he has brought immeasurable positive exposure to this program, and we would not be where we are without him.

God Bless Rusty!  You are in our thoughts and Prayers!
Back to the top

I have watched many video clips of Rusty throughout the years, and he handled himself very, very professionally.

Much moreso than some real "professionals".

No one can ever take the 2 bowl wins away from him.

Also liked how he did not put any blame on the MT defender. Class act.

Best of luck from an opposing fan. Hope to see you on Sundays with the Titans, Rusty !
Back to the top

Bummer about the wing man but I'm real pleased that you got to pass Jared on the all time passing list, you deserved that.

The one thing I've gotta thank you for is putting our team on the map. YOU are the only thing (aside from Howard) that the casual college football fan knows about FAU. I can't tell you how many times the "gators" in my office ask how Rusty is doing, it's really all they know about our program. Maybe it's your name that they remember, or your unorthodox delivery but whatever it is, it's good. Career wise there have been some good performances but 2007 New Orleans Bowl was nasty, you couldn't miss, I got tons of texts from friends saying how ridiculous our QB was in that game.

I've always been proud of my Alma Mater and my football team but you made it easier man.

Best Wishes, continue to put us on the map at the next level.
Back to the top

This season could not get any worse at this point.  I could careless if we lose every game on our schedule.  This just sucks and it's not fair to Rusty just like it's not fair to Frantz (in a different way of course).  There's always next year I know it's just going to be weird because I'll be an alumni myself next football season.  Best of luck Rusty!
Back to the top

Well Rusty your are a good football player…but your softball skills are weak. 
Back to the top

Thanks for all you have done for this school Rusty. Owl Country will forever be thankful. Thank you for putting FAU on the map. Thank you for being the face of this football team for the last 4 years. an injury may have taken your college career away from you, but NOTHING can EVER take your 2 bowl championships away from you! In Rusty We Trusty! Once an Owl, ALWAYS an Owl! Good Luck Rusty in whatever life brings you

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

I was very impressed seeing Jared Allen play twice in '04….and really amazed that Howard developed a QB soon after who surpassed Allen.  His play at Denton in '07 and '09 to rally the Owls from double digit deficits in both games…very impressive to see in person.

Two bowl wins, a conference title…excellent work all around.  Too bad it didn't end with Rusty winning a third bowl this year, but it doesn't diminish his accomplishments or his role in putting FAU on the map.  Well done.
Back to the top

Like many have already stated, Rusty has helped define FAU on a National level.  You always hate to see a great person & player end their career with an injury with still so much left to accomplished.

His leadership skills have been evaluable and IMHO will continue to shine the rest of the season.

As hard as it will be for a competitor like Rusty to  stand on the sideline, I have no doubt his presence will be felt…he will now lead from the sideline.

Hoping for a quick and healthy recovery…the dream is still alive…to believe is to be strong.

Good Luck Rusty and Thank you for all you have done for this program…You are True Blue.

Go Owls!
Back to the top

Rusty,

First, I would like to say Thank You for the memories.  This picture takes us back to the day before your first NCAA College Football game Vs. Clemson.  This picture was taken with my two sons and I explained to them that you were the new starting QB for our beloved FAU OWL's.  Little did we know, you would rewrite the FAU record book and turn into one of the classiest QB's in all of NCAA Football.

Best of luck next year in the upcoming draft and I look forward to watching you on Sundays!  I will definitely pull for any team you land with–even the New York Jets :-\

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE MEMORIES!

GO OWLS!
'91

Attachment
114 views (113 Kb)
Back to the top
Control functions: