Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Recruit JUCO (Jr. College) players

Recruit JUCO (Jr. College) players

I know HS wants to built his teams by recruiting high school players.  But there seems to be some gaps.  We need some top notch Linemen, a ball hawking hard hitting safety, and a stud LB.  We have pubs at these positions.  They don't have the intensity they need to play at this level.  They are talented and they are developing.  I think we need at few JUCO guys in this next recruiting class to fill the gaps.
Back to the top

Re: Recruit JUCO (Jr. College) players

footballfan47 said

I know HS wants to built his teams by recruiting high school players.  But there seems to be some gaps.  We need some top notch Linemen, a ball hawking hard hitting safety, and a stud LB.  We have pubs at these positions.  They don't have the intensity they need to play at this level.  They are talented and they are developing.  I think we need at few JUCO guys in this next recruiting class to fill the gaps.

I know what you are saying, BUT, the reason they are JUCOs typically is because of academics.  I don't think at this point in our program's development, that we have the budget and time to spend chasing a lot of JUCOs when they may come back and bite us on eligibility issues.  Of course there are always exceptions to this, but I believe the goal is to recruit players in HS that have the potential without obvious academic issues in order to increase our success rate with the recruits IMO.

A great example is our basketball team and the Jarvis philosophy.  He is going out and getting good kids with good grades and teaching them to be better players.  How many times have we seen talented BBall players out due to academics.  If they are on the bench, they cannot help us and they waste a scholly.

Back to the top

footballfan47 said

The problem is that there are no Junior Colleges playing football in the state of Florida. Coach has always insisted on a FAU being a Florida based team (even just south of Orlando). In fact, I remember Coach lobbying for the fact to have Junior Colleges in Florida to start up football programs. I have always felt that the lack of JUCO programs here, forces many Florida players out of state. And don't tell me it's funding. If almost every high school can field a team, then money should not be the issue.
Back to the top

FAU has its stud LB's! Coaches and schemes need changes to highlight their naturally ability and talent. Or inspire them work better within their system!
Back to the top

I agree, we have the players, we have had a weak D since moving up and the only constant on D is the DC. C'mon Howard, put 2 and 2 together and cut the ties to the anchor dragging this team and yourself down!
Also, recruit over the ENTIRE south as out Belt and in-state competition does. We cannot grow into a national program with purely a locally recruited team. Where did all of those UM qb's come from anyhow? Not just Florida.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I agree, we have the players, we have had a weak D since moving up and the only constant on D is the DC. C'mon Howard, put 2 and 2 together and cut the ties to the anchor dragging this team and yourself down!
Also, recruit over the ENTIRE south as out Belt and in-state competition does. We cannot grow into a national program with purely a locally recruited team. Where did all of those UM qb's come from anyhow? Not just Florida.

I'd love to see us recruit out of state but the fact is FAU just doesn't have the budget.  I wish we could grab some talent from Texas and Louisiana.
Back to the top

The said

GeorgiaOwl said

I'd love to see us recruit out of state but the fact is FAU just doesn't have the budget.  I wish we could grab some talent from Texas and Louisiana.

We can't even get the talent in South Florida. 
Back to the top

We got Rob Housler from Texas….

But, to play devil's advocate, why leave when you don't have to??

Back to the top

Here's one reason to recruit outside the home area: For a kid who's freezing his rear off in a northern winter, a chance to play in South Florida could look very, very attractive. Though South Florida also is attractive to Florida kids, the contrast is nowhere near so great. Examples: Play in Illinois or South Florida? South Florida is a pretty good draw. But play in Orlando or Fort Lauderdale/Boca Raton? Not so much difference. When granted advantages, why not take them?
Back to the top

I will beat this dead horse a bit more…

It is very expensive to recruit out of state.  You spend time and money chasing recruits all over and the close ratio to land them is so much less.  And while you were chasing those out of state recruits that you struggled to land, you were not spending as much time garnering stronger recruits in Florida, so you lose out on some of those also.

That's not to say we cannot get out of state recruits and sometimes it may pay to get one here or there, but at this point in our program with our resources, or lack there of, the biggest bang for the buck is right here.

There's no place like home…there's no place like home.
Back to the top
Control functions: