Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Future of FAU Football

It is difficult to watch the program take giant steps backwards.  Whether it is lack of talent, skill, discipline, schemes, etc., it all falls on the coaching staff.  They recruit these kids to fit into their offense/defense.  They are responsible for ensuring the kids grasp not only the basics of the game but the intricacies of the game at the collegiate level.

While the majority of the FAU football staff has a long history in NCAA, it seems the game passed them by?  Can these kids relate to Coach HS?  Do they listen to Coach V?  I’m sure some do, but I don’t think they respect this staff the way players respect coaches like Urban Meyer, Randy Shannon, and Jim Leavitt.  This program needs to take the next step at the top in order to progress.  The next step being the hiring of a young, progressive head coach who can teach these kids and earn their respect.  A head coach who emphasizes all aspects of the game, including special teams.  A head coach who brings a staff with him that helps players improve throughout their careers.  If the coach can not impact the players progress then they are not retained.  No loyalty based on past performance/relationships.  What have you done for me lately?  Enough is enough.

As for Coach HS, I have the utmost respect for him and his career.  Coach brought football to FAU.  Coach did what probably no other coach could do in such a short time period.  We should all be forever grateful for this.  However, this is about the future, not the past.  Coach HS should be retained as a consultant or director of Football Operations as was initially intended.  While in a perfect world he would lead the team onto the field at their on-campus stadium, whenever that happens, but this isn’t a perfect world.
Back to the top

Re: The Future of FAU Football

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. I have said it many times, and I'll say it again. I support Coach Schnellenberger. He is the best thing we have going for the program. It is not time to throw the baby (this 75-year-old one) out with the bath water. However, that said, it might be time to look carefully at whether some of the bath water should go.
Back to the top

HS as the AD and director of football operations would be my choice.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

HS as the AD and director of football operations would be my choice.

He will never be the AD. Do you know how much work that takes? I don't see him having any particular interest in scheduling matches for women's volleyball or tennis for that matter.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

grayowl said

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. I have said it many times, and I'll say it again. I support Coach Schnellenberger. He is the best thing we have going for the program. It is not time to throw the baby (this 75-year-old one) out with the bath water. However, that said, it might be time to look carefully at whether some of the bath water should go.

I understand your position and respect it.  You are probably in the majority.  But after spending some time with a few Broward County high school football players this weekend, one of whom is a family friend (unfortunately none were D1 recruits), they all said none of their teammates who are being recruited are considering FAU.  They want to have fun playing ball, after all it is still a game.  They don’t think playing for “grandpa” would be much fun.

Now, these kids aren’t necessarily the voice of the majority, but it is something to think about.  I asked if they were being recruited by FAU and FIU, who would be the leader and why? All five of them said FIU.  Reasons given ranged from up and coming team, to young staff with progressive philosophies, to on-campus stadium  and  better chance at getting into a BCS  conference.

I just thought it was interesting which triggered by post.  
Back to the top

Baller,

Thats an interesting point of view, we usually don't think about the kid's side of things.  But remember, they are just kids, who can be easily persuaded.  Yes, HS is incredibly old school, but for right now, it's his program and thats how he does things.  If a kid doesn't want to play for him at FAU, then HS does not even waste his time talking to them.  He recruits very specific kids.  Is it a good strategy, I'm no expert, so I can't say.  But it's gotten us a couple of good seasons.

Once we get our stadium, I think it will help a lot, but I say the #1 thing we need to work on is a new defense.  That has always been our weakness, and until something is changed, that will continue.  We will never survive a tougher conference by just trying to outscore the other teams, we have to STOP them. 

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

The Future of FAU Football

Baller07 said

All five of them said FIU.  Reasons given ranged from up and coming team, to young staff with progressive philosophies, to on-campus stadium  and better chance at getting into a BCS  conference.

Are these kids on crack!?! Yes, they have a young staff that comes with lack of experience. Yes, they have an on-campus stadium, we'll have one soon too. Up-and-coming team….every team in the SBC is up-in-coming. Better chance of getting into a BCS conference….the only SBC team that will have a shot of moving into a BCS conference is Troy. And even if FIU somehow magically got invited into a BCS conference, they would get their butts kicked EVERY game.

Those kids you're talking about don't have to go to FAU, but if they really believe FIU is this fantasy program then I feel very sorry for them.

"FAU is on a collision course with the national championship. The only variable is time."
Back to the top

Interesting info. Thanks for sharing.
Back to the top

Owlando said

Baller07 said

All five of them said FIU.  Reasons given ranged from up and coming team, to young staff with progressive philosophies, to on-campus stadium  and better chance at getting into a BCS  conference.

Are these kids on crack!?! Yes, they have a young staff that comes with lack of experience. Yes, they have an on-campus stadium, we'll have one soon too. Up-and-coming team….every team in the SBC is up-in-coming. Better chance of getting into a BCS conference….the only SBC team that will have a shot of moving into a BCS conference is Troy. And even if FIU somehow magically got invited into a BCS conference, they would get their butts kicked EVERY game.

Those kids you're talking about don't have to go to FAU, but if they really believe FIU is this fantasy program then I feel very sorry for them.

They didn't say it was a fantasy program.  Just when comparing FIU today to FAU, with no other options.  I don't agree with most of their points either.  But I am biased towards FAU.  They are truly independent, unbiased opinions. 
Back to the top

Great young players will line up for the opportunity to play for Bowden at FSU and Paterno at PSU, but won't for HS.  Sorry, not buying the whole "grampa" thing.  I believe there is something missing in this story.
Back to the top
Control functions: