Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Is It Time to Retire the Football Helmet?

Add topic

Is It Time to Retire the Football Helmet?

New research says small hits do major damage—and there's not much headgear can do about it . . .

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704402404574527881984299454.html
Back to the top

Re: Is It Time to Retire the Football Helmet?

Interesting read.  When I first saw the article I was angered that such stupidity would be put in the paper, but after reading it all through, I can see where the research is coming from.  Taking the helmets out of the game would never happen though.  If anything they'll make everyone play flag or 2 hand touch football, and keep the helmets.  And the researcher who wanted to outlaw the 3-point stance for lineman, come on.  Football is a game that is played by choice, no one forces anyone to play, and everyone is taught the risks, simple as that.  If you don't want to get hurt than don't play. 

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Re: Is It Time to Retire the Football Helmet?

I played tackle football and flag football and only has two head injuries ever, both in FLAG football.

If they have to, increase the penalties on players who insist on spearing to add game suspensions and season suspensions for repeat incidents.

But I HATE that football is becoming such a pussy sport. I agree, if you are afraid of getting hurt, then don't play! But we all know that changes are brewing. I am actually surprised that the qb's don't have flags on them already to "protect" them!
Back to the top
Control functions: