Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

116th...

After yet another in a long line of defensive embarassments yesterday we are now 116 out of 120 in the FBS NCAA defensive rankings.  We give up a staggering 462.5 yards of offense per game.  We finished last year 92nd in Total D and 82nd the year before.  We supposedly now are getting better athletes to play here.  I see a bad trend.  Since moving to I-A, our D has never been good, and now it is downright terrible.  The only constant has been the coaching staff.  Time to rethink what we are doing and bring in a new leader for this unit.
Back to the top

Re: 116th...

Hoza doe not know how to defend a mobile qb! That is why we are getting worse, not better, even with faster, better athelets on D!

I agree with other posts, fire Hoza today and give someone else a chance. This season is pissed away anyhow, build for next year NOW!
Back to the top

Schnellenberger and Angelos have to do something NOW !!!!
We cannot lose recruits or current players. If nothing is done, that is exactly what will happen.

Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Hoza doe not know how to defend a mobile qb! That is why we are getting worse, not better, even with faster, better athelets on D!

I agree with other posts, fire Hoza today and give someone else a chance. This season is pissed away anyhow, build for next year NOW!

I don't know if it is that we can't stop the mobile QB.  The problem is that we can't stop ANYTHING. We aren't good at any single area of defense.  We can't stop the run, we can't stop the pass, we get no pressure on the QB.  It's either the players or the scheme, and either way, it responsibility falls on the coaching staff.  I don't want to hear about how many new starters we have this year or whatever.  We have played 10 games and the defense is regressing by the game.  There has been zero improvement over the course of the season…and according to the stats, no improvement over the past 3 years.  The current staff is not getting results.  Time to see if someone else can.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

After yet another in a long line of defensive embarrassments yesterday we are now 116 out of 120 in the FBS NCAA defensive rankings.  We give up a staggering 462.5 yards of offense per game.  We finished last year 92nd in Total D and 82nd the year before.  We supposedly now are getting better athletes to play here.  I see a bad trend.   Since moving to I-A, our D has never been good, and now it is downright terrible.  The only constant has been the coaching staff.  Time to rethink what we are doing and bring in a new leader for this unit.

I second that!  Time to rejuvenate the defense by bringing in a big name defensive coach!  We need to get our house in order, so that we call fill our new stadium in 2 years!  Wake up and smell the coffee–is that Dunkin Donuts???
Back to the top

Back to the top

No one has mentioned the poor tackling which is not the DCs responsibility. As a matter of fact, someone that is good enough to be on a D1A college team ought to know how to tackle. I keep reading and hearing during the games about missed tackled, broken tackles, guys trying to tackle by throwing their bodies at the receiver or RB instead of wrapping his arms around them and holding on.
That is something that should have been learned in JFL and high school. Coaches might want to have a few drills to keep those skill up but the defensive players should already know how to tackle when they get to college. If its a strength thing then get them in the weight room and write down some goals for them.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

116th...

I see the defensive problems coming from 2 places. !st the defensive scheme. I asked a player after the game why did he run by the QB and chase a RB who didn't have the ball. He stated that it was the play call and that if he would have broke off to the ball, he would have received a minus in film session for not running the play and would lose playing time. Now for me, that's the most ridiculous thing I've heard about a scheme. Yes you come off the ball running the play. But you find the ball and go to the ball, not chase a rb who doesn't have the ball. Read and react! Secondly Illinoisowl stated what I have from week 1; They can't TACKLE! That's on the players and the coaching. Players should know how to TACKLE on this level. But as a coach, if I see this area being problematic, you know like it's been all season, I would go back to basics and make these guys go through Tackling drills every practice until they demonstrate that they have got the message.
Back to the top

Nunzio42 said

GOOD STUFF!  I love it!  Maybe they will listen!
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

No one has mentioned the poor tackling which is not the DCs responsibility.

How is not being able to tackle not the DC's responsibility?  Ultimately, it's his D, his players, and his assistant coaches.   It is most definately his resposibility to teach these players how to do their jobs on the field.  
Back to the top
Control functions: