Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Scoop Boca closed...

Add topic

There was all that fanfare about this place during the first month when it opened over by The Lodge, Boardriders, etc. The pitch was "the first true college bar in Boca Raton" modeled after a very successful college bar with the same name up by UCF.

I was over there the other night and noticed a sign saying "Nightclub for lease." The scoopboca.com website was taken down not long ago and re-diverted to the Scoop Orlando site which mentions that they're building another bar by UCF.

Any ideas on why Scoop Boca failed? Was it just the location, since I know a couple of clubs have failed there before…?

Doesn't exactly give us a lot of hope that dedicated college bars will spring up again in Boca any time soon since they don't seem to be having much success… even The Irishmen, which is right next to campus, isn't consistently packed with college students….
Back to the top

Re: Scoop Boca closed...

Didn't Murphy's close too?

Halloway's and Wishing Well have been there since I was a student (2002) and maybe even prior to that. So there is success.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

Didn't Murphy's close too?

Halloway's and Wishing Well have been there since I was a student (2002) and maybe even prior to that. So there is success.

That's news to me if Murphy's closed.  Once FAU gets more students (especially upper-division one's), more living on campus and in Boca, and of course the stadium I think bars will have a better chance of surviving in Boca Raton.  Another key part would be having talented athletic teams year after year especially in Football and Basketball.  This would make students want to go celebrate after big wins at local watering holes as opposed to going to Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, or even downtown Delray Beach (to a lesser extent).

Another thing is to maybe stop trying to make these "clubs" seem like South Beach VIP night clubs.  They should just be a chill place to hang out for students to grab something to eat and sip on a beer after class or on the weekends.  I mean seeing a the velvet rope out side the front door and the "gotti" advertising cards they hand out around campus gives me the impression that 's it's just another spot for the snobby Ed Hardy/Affliction crowd to hang out with their 8$ mixed drinks…. ::)
Back to the top

Scoop Boca closed...

Murphys did close but Wishing Well has been there for a long time. It was there in '99 when I first come to boca and I'm sure it was there way before that too.

I'm not sure why scoop closed. Wasn't there some big discussion about Boca passing this law that you have to be 21 to get into places like scoop from now on. I remember Club Boca (aka Radius) was 18 to get in 21 to drink. So if that is the case where you had to be 21 to get in whether you were drinking or not may have been the downfall.

I personally think Coyote Jacks should be "The Place" to be. Its on campus and its conveinent and in most cases they won't have to worry about students getting DUI and underage drinking

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

Murphys did close but Wishing Well has been there for a long time. It was there in '99 when I first come to boca and I'm sure it was there way before that too.

I'm not sure why scoop closed. Wasn't there some big discussion about Boca passing this law that you have to be 21 to get into places like scoop from now on. I remember Club Boca (aka Radius) was 18 to get in 21 to drink. So if that is the case where you had to be 21 to get in whether you were drinking or not may have been the downfall.

I personally think Coyote Jacks should be "The Place" to be. Its on campus and its conveinent and in most cases they won't have to worry about students getting DUI and underage drinking

There is a 2 beer maximum and closes at 11 p.m.  That definetly would not have been the bar of choice when I was in school.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Jab979 said

There is a 2 beer maximum and closes at 11 p.m.  That definetly would not have been the bar of choice when I was in school.

Well a 2 beer limit is just stupid. This is a college campus, you want people to stick around and create a college atmosphere stay open past 11pm. Staying open until 2am would make the most sense and putting a limit on beer is just dumb

Back to the top

Jab979 said

Well a 2 beer limit is just stupid. This is a college campus, you want people to stick around and create a college atmosphere stay open past 11pm. Staying open until 2am would make the most sense and putting a limit on beer is just dumb

They also don't sponsor beer pong because it "encourages binge drinking."

It works as a place on campus to get beer and shoot pool. It's not ever going to be a major bar. They don't have a large enough beer selection and they don't have any hard liquor (by law).

If you can't do shots, people aren't going to be as interested.
Back to the top

Murphy's did not close they just made it 21 and up. Scoop closed because of all the under age drinking.
Back to the top

well, the reasons why these places don't work here are because they're so damn strict with them. also, the police show up every other hour and once someone sees a cop, everyone rides. people at fau want to go out to these places, but no one will if it's impossible to get a drink or hard to get in. also, it's boca. everyone here is either a guido or a "boca bitch" that is not going to give you the time of day. scoop was a shitty ass club that was too strict with drinking and it drove people away. murphy's was the best "bar" in boca last year and for some reason this year, everyone that worked there was a dick. also, their house dj is terrible… so what i'm trying to say here is, college is pretty much where most people do the majority of their drinking in their lives. SO LET THE PEOPLE DRINK!! maybe then will one of these "clubs/bars" stay open for more than a semester.
Back to the top

nextdoorSTB said

well, the reasons why these places don't work here are because they're so damn strict with them. also, the police show up every other hour and once someone sees a cop, everyone rides. people at fau want to go out to these places, but no one will if it's impossible to get a drink or hard to get in. also, it's boca. everyone here is either a guido or a "boca bitch" that is not going to give you the time of day. scoop was a ****ty ass club that was too strict with drinking and it drove people away. murphy's was the best "bar" in boca last year and for some reason this year, everyone that worked there was a dick. also, their house dj is terrible… so what i'm trying to say here is, college is pretty much where most people do the majority of their drinking in their lives. SO LET THE PEOPLE DRINK!! maybe then will one of these "clubs/bars" stay open for more than a semester.

I'd still say for the best bars around Boca… Wishing Well and the Lodge. Wishing Well is an Irish Bar which means Guiness on tap and Jameson in the bottle. On St. Pattys day especially that place rocks! The Lodge doesn't have hard liquor but they have an excellent beer selection and pretty good food as well as Sunday Ticket

Back to the top
Control functions: