Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Willie Martinez?

As we all know Hozas status as defensive coordinator is in jeopardy.
As of today the Georgia athletic department has stated that they will not retain defensive coordinator Willie Martinez.
This would be a great replacement and addition to the staff if Hoza where to leave the program.

A little bio on Martinez-
1985-86, Miami (Grad. Asst.)
1988, Bethune-Cookman (Quarterbacks / Wide Rec.)
1989-90, Boca Raton H.S. (Def. Backs)
1991, Olympic Heights H.S.- Boca Raton, Fla. (Def. Coord. / Def. Backs)

1992-93, Grand Valley State (Def. Coord. / Def. Backs)
1994, Central Michigan (Def. Backs)
1995-96, Central Florida (Def. Coord. / Def. Backs)
1997, Eastern Michigan (Def. Backs)
1998-99, Central Michigan (Def. Backs)
2000, Central Michigan (Asst. Head Coach / Def.)
2001-04, Georgia (Secondary)
2005-09, Georgia (Defensive Coordinator / Secondary).

Playing Experience:
Miami (1981-84) Def. back… Member of the 1983 National Championship team.
Hollywood Hills H.S. (1977-81) Quarterback and defensive back…team captain.

I'm sure he still has connections with Howard and he is a local product of the area. Could make a great coach or coach in waiting,
Back to the top

Willie Martinez?

As we all know Hozas status as defensive coordinator is in jeopardy.
As of today the Georgia athletic department has stated that they will not retain defensive coordinator Willie Martinez.
This would be a great replacement and addition to the staff if Hoza where to leave the program.

A little bio on Martinez-
1985-86, Miami (Grad. Asst.)
1988, Bethune-Cookman (Quarterbacks / Wide Rec.)
1989-90, Boca Raton H.S. (Def. Backs)
1991, Olympic Heights H.S.- Boca Raton, Fla. (Def. Coord. / Def. Backs)

1992-93, Grand Valley State (Def. Coord. / Def. Backs)
1994, Central Michigan (Def. Backs)
1995-96, Central Florida (Def. Coord. / Def. Backs)
1997, Eastern Michigan (Def. Backs)
1998-99, Central Michigan (Def. Backs)
2000, Central Michigan (Asst. Head Coach / Def.)
2001-04, Georgia (Secondary)
2005-09, Georgia (Defensive Coordinator / Secondary).

Playing Experience:
Miami (1981-84) Def. back… Member of the 1983 National Championship team.
Hollywood Hills H.S. (1977-81) Quarterback and defensive back…team captain.

I'm sure he still has connections with Howard and he is a local product of the area. Could make a great coach or coach in waiting,
Back to the top

Re: Willie Martinez?

Why would we take somebody who did a terrible job somewhere else?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

He didn't do too well at Georgia, but that doesn't mean he can't have success in the SBC. Georgia is a pressure-cooker for college football and he would still be an improvement over what we have now.

He obviously had success at Central Michigan and his other earilier stops so I think his overall track record speaks to his positive accomplishments as a coach. I like him as an option.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Willie Martinez?

walty12 said

He didn't do too well at Georgia, but that doesn't mean he can't have success in the SBC. Georgia is a pressure-cooker for college football and he would still be an improvement over what we have now.

He obviously had success at Central Michigan and his other earilier stops so I think his overall track record speaks to his positive accomplishments as a coach. I like him as an option.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I don't know, GA has had a bad defense the last few years if I remember correctly. It's been their offense that's helped them. I guess one thing we can take from this is that FAU outranked UGA in some things this year in football!

UGA 2009
Rankings
90th against the pass
75th scoring defense
73rd in 3rd down
84 in T.O.P.
103rd in redzone defense
120th Takeaways
119th Turnover margi
119th kickoff coverage
88th punt coverage
116th penalties.
Back to the top

I don't know, GA has had a bad defense the last few years if I remember correctly. It's been their offense that's helped them. I guess one thing we can take from this is that FAU outranked UGA in some things this year in football!

UGA 2009
Rankings
90th against the pass
75th scoring defense
73rd in 3rd down
84 in T.O.P.
103rd in redzone defense
120th Takeaways
119th Turnover margi
119th kickoff coverage
88th punt coverage
116th penalties.
Back to the top

I follow Georgia football as closely as I do FAU.  In my opinion, id def pass on him.  He runs nothing but soft zone coverage D. similiar to Hoza. He rarely blitzes and believes in the just keep everything in front of you Defensive strategy which allows mediocre qb's to have career days against his D's. UGA fans have been wanting him gone for a few years now.  His Defenses have always apeared to be out of place and out coached and he has only had top 10 recruiting classes and rediculous talent to work with.  Although I hear he is a wonderful person and his players always enjoy playing for him. :-\  Who knows though, he could possibly find more success coaching against sunbelt competition compared to the SEC.  Actually never mind now that I recall, his UGA D last year which was loaded with talent struggled with Troy.  
Back to the top

I follow Georgia football as closely as I do FAU.  In my opinion, id def pass on him.  He runs nothing but soft zone coverage D. similiar to Hoza. He rarely blitzes and believes in the just keep everything in front of you Defensive strategy which allows mediocre qb's to have career days against his D's. UGA fans have been wanting him gone for a few years now.  His Defenses have always apeared to be out of place and out coached and he has only had top 10 recruiting classes and rediculous talent to work with.  Although I hear he is a wonderful person and his players always enjoy playing for him. :-\  Who knows though, he could possibly find more success coaching against sunbelt competition compared to the SEC.  Actually never mind now that I recall, his UGA D last year which was loaded with talent struggled with Troy.  
Back to the top
Control functions: