Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Hofstra Pride Dropping Football after 69 Years

Add topic

Hofstra University is dropping its football team, citing high costs and low interest from the college community.

The university, which has fielded a football team for the last 69 years, told its coaching staff Thursday morning that it is dropping the sport, sources told ESPN.com.

Hofstra Pride of Football Championship Subdivision dropping its football program - ESPN

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Hofstra University is dropping its football team, citing high costs and low interest from the college community.

The university, which has fielded a football team for the last 69 years, told its coaching staff Thursday morning that it is dropping the sport, sources told ESPN.com.

Hofstra Pride of Football Championship Subdivision dropping its football program - ESPN

Back to the top

Re: Hofstra Pride Dropping Football after 69 Years

I always hate to see a school drop their football team.  That's too bad, then again Villanova did away with football for 5 years during the 80's and brought it back.  Looks like now Hofstra football will be survived through Marques Colston.
Back to the top

I always hate to see a school drop their football team.  That's too bad, then again Villanova did away with football for 5 years during the 80's and brought it back.  Looks like now Hofstra football will be survived through Marques Colston.
Back to the top

The said

Colston and Chrebet only 2 Hofstra Football alum I can think of

Back to the top

The said

Back to the top

Jab979 said

The said

-Steelers offensive tackle Willie Colon
Back to the top

Jab979 said

The said

-Steelers offensive tackle Willie Colon
Back to the top

That is a real shame.

James M. Shuart Stadium - GoHofstra.com - The Official Website of Hofstra Pride Athletics

I learned how to pay football in and around Hofstra, in Uniondale, Long Island (near the Nassau Coliseum Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum – Home of the NY Islanders (NHL)), in the late '60s and '70s. Our youth football league played some of its championship games in the what was then-huge-to-me stadium, and on the adjacent fields. I remember watching Hofstra and Long Island Bulls (semi-pro) games there and even seeing a 70-yard-or-so record field goal in the early '70s. The Jets' pre-season camp is (was?) there. I remember getting to experience the Hofstra trailing room and the huge whirlpool baths during an injury rehab.

I had little connection to the university, but feel sad about the sport's demise there.
Back to the top

That is a real shame.

James M. Shuart Stadium - GoHofstra.com - The Official Website of Hofstra Pride Athletics

I learned how to pay football in and around Hofstra, in Uniondale, Long Island (near the Nassau Coliseum Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum – Home of the NY Islanders (NHL)), in the late '60s and '70s. Our youth football league played some of its championship games in the what was then-huge-to-me stadium, and on the adjacent fields. I remember watching Hofstra and Long Island Bulls (semi-pro) games there and even seeing a 70-yard-or-so record field goal in the early '70s. The Jets' pre-season camp is (was?) there. I remember getting to experience the Hofstra trailing room and the huge whirlpool baths during an injury rehab.

I had little connection to the university, but feel sad about the sport's demise there.
Back to the top
Control functions: