Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Schnellenberger to Appear In ESPN's "The U"

Howard Schnellenberger wears championship rings while on the set of
The U set to air December 12th with an advance screening in Cosford
Cinema on December 10th exclusively for UM students.

Photo courtesy themiamihurricane.com

"We first pitched the idea to ESPN two years ago without even knowing about the 30-for-30 series,” Corben said. “ESPN Films does great non-fiction work and we thought it was important for everyone to know how UM became a perennial powerhouse. It was perfect because ESPN started in 1979 and that was the first year Howard Schnellenberger took over as UM’s coach."

Full Story
Back to the top

Re: Schnellenberger to Appear In ESPN's "The U"

Good stuff from Coach! Look forward to seeing the film…

It will air Dec. 12 on ESPN at 9:00PM.

Documentary on The U strikes the right balance

• Howard Schnellenberger, on one of his early discussions after his hiring: "Some people said to get rid of the `U' [on the helmet]. But I didn't see the point of it. What are we going to put on there? An M? There are lots of Ms in the world.''

• Schnellenberger, on leaving his pipe on the sofa of recruits: "I left it on purpose so I'd have a reason to come back. I didn't do it for everybody because I didn't have that many pipes to go around.''

Full Article

Back to the top

Good stuff from Coach! Look forward to seeing the film…

It will air Dec. 12 on ESPN at 9:00PM.

Documentary on The U strikes the right balance

• Howard Schnellenberger, on one of his early discussions after his hiring: "Some people said to get rid of the `U' [on the helmet]. But I didn't see the point of it. What are we going to put on there? An M? There are lots of Ms in the world.''

• Schnellenberger, on leaving his pipe on the sofa of recruits: "I left it on purpose so I'd have a reason to come back. I didn't do it for everybody because I didn't have that many pipes to go around.''

Full Article

Back to the top

Love this quote by Bailey;

Robert Bailey said

"Having Dennis Erickson as coach was like having a substitute teacher come in. When a substitute teacher comes in, everyone is rowdy.''

And Irvin's comments;

Michael Irvin said

"It wasn't any conspiracy or the media. We were bad boys, and we enjoyed being bad boys.''

No question those teams played with an attitude…it was effective, unfortunately did get out of control.
Back to the top

Schnellenberger to Appear In ESPN's "The U"

Love this quote by Bailey;

Robert Bailey said

"Having Dennis Erickson as coach was like having a substitute teacher come in. When a substitute teacher comes in, everyone is rowdy.''

And Irvin's comments;

Michael Irvin said

"It wasn't any conspiracy or the media. We were bad boys, and we enjoyed being bad boys.''

No question those teams played with an attitude…it was effective, unfortunately did get out of control.
Back to the top

Just saw a clip a couple of days ago, it was a tape interview of Howard that appeared on Beacon from Country Line hosted by a Franl Loconto…it aired back in Feb 18th, 2008.

Interesting stuff on Coach.

Didn't even realize he was heavily recruited by Miami, lured to play at Kentucky.

Talked about how he raised the original $13 million to get the program off the ground…did mentioned that Hoza has been with him for 14 years (add one since the show did air back in '08) and that he hasn't had to fire a coach in some 25 years.

Talked about the type of players he recruits as Quartersback….some character traits he looks for in a QB; comes from a stable family, committed, good student, leader & mental toughness.

Talked a little bit about why he started Kosar, RS freshman over Testeverde back in '83.

Talked a bit about the mantra's he still uses today …."to believe is to be strong"…."Bring it on"…basically the mentality of playing any one any place.

Hit on how he lured Joe Namath to play at Kentucky…didn't know this part…apparently Maryland wanted him, but I gathered politics got involved and if they couldn't have they didn't wanted Boston College or other conference opponents to get him and caledl then Bear Bryant who then sent Howard to recruit him ( 10 day road trip for Howard ).

There was some talk as well about Rusty & the '72 Dolphins….good stuff…I wish I would have taped it…just going off the top of my head trying to remember everything that was talked about.
Back to the top

Just saw a clip a couple of days ago, it was a tape interview of Howard that appeared on Beacon from Country Line hosted by a Franl Loconto…it aired back in Feb 18th, 2008.

Interesting stuff on Coach.

Didn't even realize he was heavily recruited by Miami, lured to play at Kentucky.

Talked about how he raised the original $13 million to get the program off the ground…did mentioned that Hoza has been with him for 14 years (add one since the show did air back in '08) and that he hasn't had to fire a coach in some 25 years.

Talked about the type of players he recruits as Quartersback….some character traits he looks for in a QB; comes from a stable family, committed, good student, leader & mental toughness.

Talked a little bit about why he started Kosar, RS freshman over Testeverde back in '83.

Talked a bit about the mantra's he still uses today …."to believe is to be strong"…."Bring it on"…basically the mentality of playing any one any place.

Hit on how he lured Joe Namath to play at Kentucky…didn't know this part…apparently Maryland wanted him, but I gathered politics got involved and if they couldn't have they didn't wanted Boston College or other conference opponents to get him and caledl then Bear Bryant who then sent Howard to recruit him ( 10 day road trip for Howard ).

There was some talk as well about Rusty & the '72 Dolphins….good stuff…I wish I would have taped it…just going off the top of my head trying to remember everything that was talked about.
Back to the top

I thought Joe Namath went to Alabama  ???

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

He did but I think what Bytor is trying to say, is that when Schnelly was at 'Bama he was sent by Bear Bryant to recruit the drunk known as Joe Namath. I think he was watching some show about Howard not just about him and his time at the U

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top
Control functions: