Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Game Thread: Warner University @ FAU Dec. 10th - 7:00PM

Add topic

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Warner University (5-2) @ FAU (3-3)

When: Thursday, Dec. 10th 7:00 PM EST

Where: Boca Raton, FL - The Burrow

ESPN 760 Internet Broadcast: Here

Live Video: FAU Pay Per View

Live Stats:

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

Here (if available)

Warner University Team Site: Here

Probable Starters:

Warner Southern

F Derell Henderson 21.1 ppg
F Adam Branch 9.4 ppg
C Mirnes Islamovic' 9.1 ppg
G Brennan Taylor 8.6 ppg
G Ray Victor 2.0 ppg

FAU

G Ray Taylor 15.2 ppg
G Greg Gantt 14.5 ppg
F Jordan McCoy 5.8 ppg
F Brett Royster 9.3 ppg
C DeMonte Simpson 6.2 ppg

The Series

Thursday's contest will be the first meeting between the two programs.

Warner at a Glance

The Royals, members of the Sun Conference, are coming off a 79-70 win against the Southeastern Fire on Tuesday night in Lake Wales, and were recently voted 16th in the NAIA Division II Men’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 poll.  Juco transfer center Mirnes Islamovic', 6'-9", 220lbs, had 17 points and seven rebounds on the night for Warner.

The Royals go-to-guy is SG/SF Derell Henderson, who is currently averaging just over 21 points per contest.  An athletic wing player, Henderson had a staggering 17 free throw attempts in the win over Southeastern, and looks to draw contact when the opportunity presents itself.

FAU at a Glance

Mike Jarvis continues to mold his young team consisting of seven freshman, and recently celebrated a 85-61 win over Albany in which guard Greg Gantt had a career high 24 points.

Owl's guards Ray Taylor 15.2 ppg (1st) and Greg Gantt 14.5 ppg (2nd) are leading the way in scoring amongst Sun Belt freshman.

Forward Jordan McCoy continues to pace all newcomers with a league high 6.7 rpg.

Brett Royster is also tops in blocked shots with 3.3 per contest.

Ironically, FAU currently ranks second amongst Sun Belt programs in three point percentage at 40.0%, but is last on the defensive end while allowing opponents a league low 39.1% from long range.

Latest Line:

NA

Owl's Nest Prediction

The Owl's two game home winning streak will not be in jeopardy on Thursday.  However, the contest will provide some final adjustments play prior to heading into the conference line-up which starts this Saturday at Louisiana-Lafayette in a televised match-up on CSS.

Owls -14

Back to the top

Warner University (5-2) @ FAU (3-3)

When: Thursday, Dec. 10th 7:00 PM EST

Where: Boca Raton, FL - The Burrow

ESPN 760 Internet Broadcast: Here

Live Video: FAU Pay Per View

Live Stats: Here (if available)

Warner University Team Site: Here

Probable Starters:

Warner Southern

F Derell Henderson 21.1 ppg
F Adam Branch 9.4 ppg
C Mirnes Islamovic' 9.1 ppg
G Brennan Taylor 8.6 ppg
G Ray Victor 2.0 ppg

FAU

G Ray Taylor 15.2 ppg
G Greg Gantt 14.5 ppg
F Jordan McCoy 5.8 ppg
F Brett Royster 9.3 ppg
C DeMonte Simpson 6.2 ppg

The Series

Thursday's contest will be the first meeting between the two programs.

Warner at a Glance

The Royals, members of the Sun Conference, are coming off a 79-70 win against the Southeastern Fire on Tuesday night in Lake Wales, and were recently voted 16th in the NAIA Division II Men’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 poll.  Juco transfer center Mirnes Islamovic', 6'-9", 220lbs, had 17 points and seven rebounds on the night for Warner.

The Royals go-to-guy is SG/SF Derell Henderson, who is currently averaging just over 21 points per contest.  An athletic wing player, Henderson had a staggering 17 free throw attempts in the win over Southeastern, and looks to draw contact when the opportunity presents itself.

FAU at a Glance

Mike Jarvis continues to mold his young team consisting of seven freshman, and recently celebrated a 85-61 win over Albany in which guard Greg Gantt had a career high 24 points.

Owl's guards Ray Taylor 15.2 ppg (1st) and Greg Gantt 14.5 ppg (2nd) are leading the way in scoring amongst Sun Belt freshman.

Forward Jordan McCoy continues to pace all newcomers with a league high 6.7 rpg.

Brett Royster is also tops in blocked shots with 3.3 per contest.

Ironically, FAU currently ranks second amongst Sun Belt programs in three point percentage at 40.0%, but is last on the defensive end while allowing opponents a league low 39.1% from long range.

Latest Line:

NA

Owl's Nest Prediction

The Owl's two game home winning streak will not be in jeopardy on Thursday.  However, the contest will provide some final adjustments play prior to heading into the conference line-up which starts this Saturday at Louisiana-Lafayette in a televised match-up on CSS.

Owls -14

Back to the top

Re: Preview: Warner University @ FAU Dec. 10th - 7:00PM

Quotes from Wednesday's media day:

Coach Mike Jarvis

On returning to the court after 10 days off

"You've got to crank it up a month before January.  It's one of the main reasons we are playing Warner tomorrow night.  That will hopefully help prepare us for a game on Saturday."

"We haven't played now in over a week. They needed a couple days off.  It's the best thing that could have happened. The body needs time to rest and recover. It actually was pretty good for us."

On the game against Warner

"I hope it's a game where we will be able to play everybody, and work on half-court execution."

"I'm not going to tell the guys much about them because I want them to come out and use their defensive principles and just execute.  It's a game of execution, a game of opportunity, for some of the guys."

On Simpson's progress

"As he continues to lose weight and body fat I think he'll continue to get better."

"He did well (against South Florida). He's been making progress. Working hard."

DeMonte Simpson

On adjusting to the college game

"College is way faster.  It's a whole different game but, after the first couple of games I got my feet wet and I just adjusted."

On his early insertion into a starting role

"Game situations you can't duplicate in practice. So I take advantage of those game situations."

"I'm ready to step up to the challenge."

"I can't wait to get back to playing."

Back to the top

Quotes from Wednesday's media day:

Coach Mike Jarvis

On returning to the court after 10 days off

"You've got to crank it up a month before January.  It's one of the main reasons we are playing Warner tomorrow night.  That will hopefully help prepare us for a game on Saturday."

"We haven't played now in over a week. They needed a couple days off.  It's the best thing that could have happened. The body needs time to rest and recover. It actually was pretty good for us."

"I hope it's a game where we will be able to play everybody, and work on half-court execution."

"I'm not going to tell the guys much about them because I want them to come out and use their defensive principles and just execute.  It's a game of execution, a game of opportunity, for some of the guys."

On Simpson's progress

"As he continues to lose weight and body fat I think he'll continue to get better."

"He did well (against South Florida). He's been making progress. Working hard."

DeMonte Simpson

On adjusting to the college game

"College is way faster.  It's a whole different game but, after the first couple of games I got my feet wet and I just adjusted."

On his early insertion into a starting role

"Game situations you can't duplicate in practice. So I take advantage of those game situations."

"I'm ready to step up to the challenge."

"I can't wait to get back to playing."

Back to the top

Is it exhibition tomorrow?
Back to the top

Back to the top

No, our exhibition game was against Lynn University

However, it will be an exhibition game for Warner…
Back to the top

No, our exhibition game was against Lynn University

However, it will be an exhibition game for Warner…
Back to the top

fins09065 said

It may as well be lol. The season started late last month

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

fins09065 said

It may as well be lol. The season started late last month

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top
Control functions: