Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

House Panel Passes College Football Playoff Bill . . .

Add topic

Re: House Panel Passes College Football Playoff Bill . . .

How is a playoff system better then the current BCS?

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

AEA
Back to the top

I propose the NCAA consolodate into ten conferences with 12 teams each (no independents!) and have each play a conference championship. Those winner get automatic entry with six at-large entrys based upon wins vs. FBS teams only (NO FCS wins count!). Home teams based upon wins vs. FBS wins also. Any ties broken by final national ranking. 16 team tournamnet with a true National Champion!

Scrap the current bowls, with money now kept by the colleges and not going into pockets of "executive committees" for bowls with exhorbitant salaries, that they pay very little to charaties anyway. And if schools want to cut a charity into their pie, good for them!
Back to the top

I propose the NCAA consolodate into ten conferences with 12 teams each (no independents!) and have each play a conference championship. Those winner get automatic entry with six at-large entrys based upon wins vs. FBS teams only (NO FCS wins count!). Home teams based upon wins vs. FBS wins also. Any ties broken by final national ranking. 16 team tournamnet with a true National Champion!

Scrap the current bowls, with money now kept by the colleges and not going into pockets of "executive committees" for bowls with exhorbitant salaries, that they pay very little to charaties anyway. And if schools want to cut a charity into their pie, good for them!
Back to the top

FAUtuba said

Well, think about it like this:

What if NU went on to beat Texas in that comeback game the Longhorns won.

Then what??

CINN in the national title game against AL??

Some folks wouldn't agree with that, as it only would be based on "ranking".

No system is perfect…But why does every other major sport have a play-off system, while college football does not?

Of course you are talking about a sport which offers a week off between contests, so granted, it is harder to pull off.

However, even the NFL has a play-off system in place…

And, I completely agree with GeorgiaOwl on the $$$ distribution…

The colleges should reap the reward.
Back to the top

FAUtuba said

Then what??

No system is perfect…But why does every other major sport have a play-off system, while college football does not?

Of course you are talking about a sport which offers a week off between contests, so granted, it is harder to pull off.

Back to the top

Rick said

Is it really their place to delve into that anyway??

I mean I think it is a great idea, but is it truly government's jurisdiction??

It's gotten to the point where it has, which is sad.  If they don't step in no one will.  The BCS isn't interested in giving every conference champion it's fair shot at a playoff game.  If it's Troy and East Carolina's destiny to get destroyed by Oregon and Georgia Tech than so be it but let them at least play the game. The BCS just cares about the potential dollar signs the USC's, Notre Dame's, Alabama's, Texas's, Florida's, Ohio State's ETC bring to the table in a bowl game.  With the amount of revenue, exposure, and sheer public outcry something has to be done.
Back to the top

House Panel Passes College Football Playoff Bill . . .

Rick said

Is it really their place to delve into that anyway??

I mean I think it is a great idea, but is it truly government's jurisdiction??

It's gotten to the point where it has, which is sad.  If they don't step in no one will.  The BCS isn't interested in giving every conference champion it's fair shot at a playoff game.  If it's Troy and East Carolina's destiny to get destroyed by Oregon and Georgia Tech than so be it but let them at least play the game. The BCS just cares about the potential dollar signs the USC's, Notre Dame's, Alabama's, Texas's, Florida's, Ohio State's ETC bring to the table in a bowl game.  With the amount of revenue, exposure, and sheer public outcry something has to be done.
Back to the top

Rick said

FAUtuba said

Then what??

A playoff doesn't eliminate the need for ranking.  Say you have a 16 team system, you'll have to choose 5 teams that are not conference champions.  Who do they get in? A poll? A formula? 12 guys in a room with a chalk board? Beyond that which of the undefeated teams doesn't get the #1 seed?

The reason playoffs work in major league sports is because there are less teams that play more games, so its easier to get a better sense of head to head competition.  Also, the divisions are pretty equally divided.

IMHO, I think a school like FAU should be against an overhaul of the bowl system.  There is no way FAU will make it into a 16 team tournament unless we go undefeated or win the Sun Belt championship.  In the case of the latter we would most likely hold a bottom seed and lose to the SEC champ.  You cant have a 64 team tournament because it would take 2 months, so if you want to see FAU continue to make post season appearances, the bowls need to be kept

AEA
Back to the top

Rick said

FAUtuba said

Then what??

A playoff doesn't eliminate the need for ranking.  Say you have a 16 team system, you'll have to choose 5 teams that are not conference champions.  Who do they get in? A poll? A formula? 12 guys in a room with a chalk board? Beyond that which of the undefeated teams doesn't get the #1 seed?

The reason playoffs work in major league sports is because there are less teams that play more games, so its easier to get a better sense of head to head competition.  Also, the divisions are pretty equally divided.

IMHO, I think a school like FAU should be against an overhaul of the bowl system.  There is no way FAU will make it into a 16 team tournament unless we go undefeated or win the Sun Belt championship.  In the case of the latter we would most likely hold a bottom seed and lose to the SEC champ.  You cant have a 64 team tournament because it would take 2 months, so if you want to see FAU continue to make post season appearances, the bowls need to be kept

AEA
Back to the top
Control functions: