Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

BIG 10 Looking into Expansion...What Could this Mean for FAU???

Add topic

The BIG 10 is getting serious about expansion. Of course this will have a 'trickle down' effect.

If the BIG 10 takes a BIGEAST team such as Pitt, Syracuse, or Rutgers as is anticipated this would mean that the BIGEAST would need a replacement. In my mind I think the likely candidate is Memphis due to the strength of BIGEAST basketball (I know FAU fans don't want to hear this). This would open up a spot in CUSA. I know FAU fans hate to think of a move from the SBC to CUSA, but the reality is that CUSA is more recognizable than the SBC. Lots to think about. Let the discussion begin.  ;D

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4745381

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Re: BIG 10 Looking into Expansion...What Could this Mean for FAU???

owlfan1 said

The BIG 10 is getting serious about expansion. Of course this will have a 'trickle down' effect.

If the BIG 10 takes a BIGEAST team such as Pitt, Syracuse, or Rutgers as is anticipated this would mean that the BIGEAST would need a replacement. In my mind I think the likely candidate is Memphis due to the strength of BIGEAST basketball (I know FAU fans don't want to hear this). This would open up a spot in CUSA. I know FAU fans hate to think of a move from the SBC to CUSA, but the reality is that CUSA is more recognizable than the SBC. Lots to think about. Let the discussion begin.  ;D

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4745381

The only benefit I see to moving into CUSA would be the following:

1.) More Guranteed Bowl Bids
2.) Getting to play UCF.

Personally I think the Belt is a better place (or shortly will be.) 2 9-3 temas this year and another year with 4 bowl elligible teams.

I think the only move up would be to a AQ league but I dont think there is a prayer of that happening.

GO OWLS!!!

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Again, I would not be surprised if Memphis moves. I don't think their football team warrants it but their basketball team is clearly too good for CUSA. I'd also rather Memphis go than UCF. I wouldn't mind a move to CUSA, although why us instead of Troy? They're doing much better than us. WKU basketball is excellent too… would that be enough to get them into the CUSA?

The later this happens, the better for us. If there is a conference realignment in the next 2 years, we're shut out. If it happens 5 years down the line, we'll have a stadium and better players and should be able to have a better case to move out.

Still, I believe there are stipulations about not just how the team is doing but also how well the school is doing. I think most schools in CUSA are Tier 3, for instance, with a certain enrollment, graduate rate, endowment and so forth. Admittedly I'm a little hazy on the details here.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

Again, I would not be surprised if Memphis moves. I don't think their football team warrants it but their basketball team is clearly too good for CUSA. I'd also rather Memphis go than UCF. I wouldn't mind a move to CUSA, although why us instead of Troy? They're doing much better than us. WKU basketball is excellent too… would that be enough to get them into the CUSA?

The later this happens, the better for us. If there is a conference realignment in the next 2 years, we're shut out. If it happens 5 years down the line, we'll have a stadium and better players and should be able to have a better case to move out.

Still, I believe there are stipulations about not just how the team is doing but also how well the school is doing. I think most schools in CUSA are Tier 3, for instance, with a certain enrollment, graduate rate, endowment and so forth. Admittedly I'm a little hazy on the details here.

I also agree that the later the better. It would not do FAU any good in 2-3 years. Any move will also take into consideration the possible contribution of basketball and other sports. Right now Troy would have to be the leader to move out of the SBC.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

owlcountry said

I also agree that the later the better. It would not do FAU any good in 2-3 years. Any move will also take into consideration the possible contribution of basketball and other sports. Right now Troy would have to be the leader to move out of the SBC.

GO OWLS!!!

If your only looking at athletic performance your right. Troy is in a VERY small TV market and small city. Theyre enrollment is very low as well comparitively. They are by far the best athletic program in the belt, and have decent facilites as well, but the "other" factors arent in thier favor.

I still say the only move should be to a AQ confrence IF a move is to happen, If not lets stay in the belt, make it better and keep the rivalrys we have.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

These arguments are assuming the Big East only replaces one team.

But…
if I'm the Big East left with only 7 football members, I start to think that all the big conferences have 12 members in order to compete and have a conference playoff.  So if the Big East has to add a team, it would be a good time to go ahead and make that expansion in an effort to rebuild the conference to compete with the other Big 5 conferences.  If they do not, they will be left behind.

Now the expansion of just one Big 10 team gets a whole lot more interesting.  Who knows.
Back to the top

BIG 10 Looking into Expansion...What Could this Mean for FAU???

I am not sold on the idea of memphis going to the Big East.  The Big East needs Football teams, they have plenty of basketball teams, in fact, too many.  If this expansion were to happen they need to look at the teams that can impact their football conference as the first priority. 
Back to the top

East Carolina will probably go before Memphis.

FAU isn't going anywhere till we get some facilities.
Back to the top

The problem for Memphis is that the Big East will be looking for a football upgrade, and their program frankly sucks. They play in a run down stadium, have lackluster support, and are buried in SEC country where the good local recruits are sucked up by Tennessee or Ole Miss.

I think the Big East will take more than 1 though, probably more than 2. The football schools are sick to death of being stuck in a mega basketball conference. If it is just one, I'm still not sold it would be ECU. They are about as attractive as they were in the last go around, but the Big East instead went with a rather unproven Cincy program and USF, who was just getting around to drawing 20-25K a game.
Back to the top

ND should but they won't, they think they are better than evryone else and the stealing Kelly away from Cincy both proves that and also kills Cincy's chances at the B11.

Pitt make the most sense to me both geographically and competitively and that wull further weaken the Big East.

If that happens, the Big East should expand to the twelve team two division set-up as well by adding East Carolina, Central Florida, FAU, Memphis and Marshall. Strong push into Florida market, schhols good in either FB or BB and a strong hit on CUSA who would like to replace the BE in the AQ list!

BE Northern Division; Syracuse, WV, Rutgers, UConn, Marshall, EC

BE Southern Division; USF, UCF, FAU, Louisville, Cincy, Memphis
Back to the top
Control functions: