Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Dirties Banning the next two games

Add topic

Dirties Banning the next two games

Rick said

Dirty troubles…

Yes, that's an FAU police officer giving John the once over because he politely informed some fans (who squatted directly behind the Dirties home turf for the last three seasons) that they would not be sitting…the fans didn't like the notion, and one of them wanted to fight - seriously.

The fans are not sitting there any longer :D

Ok, im speaking for the entire group while posting this.  After tonights game and what happened, we have decided that it isnt worth it anymore.  All season we have been harrassed for standing where we have stood for over the past three years.  It always seems to be a similar demographic of fan that complains, which we are not sure how they can sit in the "student section".  Regardless, someone threating "to take it outside" because we would not sit is un-called for.  We advised them politely that we would be standing the entire game, as we always do to fans behind us.

We know that we are appreciated for what we have done for over 3 years as the Dirties, Sexy's, and Rowdy's but the next two games will be a test of how loud the burrow can get without us.  As a group we have not missed a single home game in over 5 years.  We will not miss the next 2 games, but we wont be in our normal spots, standing, or cheering.  We will be like every other FAU "fan" and sitting…….the entire game.  This will bother us tremendously but it is something that we have decided to do.

It was fun before we started getting "threatened" by other fans from the same team for doing what we have  done for such a long time.

After these two home games we will discuss about possibly coming back to where we have been for quite some time now.

On a personal note; I appreciate the support that everyone has had for us.  I love the fact that the players families see what we are doing as fun and kind-hearted.  This really bothered me on a personal level tonight, having CSC stand next to us for a game is one thing but having someone threaten to take us outside and then go get the cops because he is called a "butt"hole (another name was used) is a different story.  I love this school as does everyone else in the group, but it isn't worth getting into legal issues over it.

Thanks!

Go Owls!

~Phil
Back to the top

Re: Dirties Banning the next two games

This is an argument for a major case of ill-warranted "politico"!

What would these folks do if we had a real fan section, like you guys, who took over an entire section (500+)??

Actually, I think that is EXACTLY the thing we need?  Especially given tonight's battle down the stretch…

Someone in an admin role needs to step up to the plate and carve the way for a traditional section.  They took away the bleachers, and that changed the mood over there…Besides, students, and other spirited fans deserve that…they cheer differently, and should not be forced to "sit" politely…we have the west side for that?  Tough in times without the students being around though…no numbers.

Regardless, sorry to hear you guys will be boycotting the next two games! :(
Back to the top

Guys, I hope you have a few days to let this sink in a little bit before you go making this decision final. If you do what you're planning, then you've let them win, which is lame because you've got far too much invested in the program to let some people who've probably been to 1 game all season dictate how you act at the games.

YOU are our crazy fans, every school has them, and needs them. You're doing a disservice to the university you care so much about if you sit idly by.

My suggestion: recruit. Get your guys out there wrangling up as many people as you can get to the next two games. Now is the time to bring your full court press, show up to the next game with 20 Dirties, bring your grandma in a rainbow wig if you have to, but bring it full force. You'll look back at this event in 20 years when there is a full section of Dirty Birds standing, jumping, heckling the daylights out of opposing teams and be glad you did something.

They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!  ;D Ok, sorry I got a little carried away.
Back to the top

That's a bummer, Nunzio.  I hope you guys change your minds!

I think the positive is that this is happening more now because we are beginning to see more fans, which is a good problem.

Here is the easy solution:

FAU needs to move their seating to the next level.  The students need their own section.  What I think is happening is that FAU sells tickets and then lets people sit anywhere they want.  Not good.  There are seats marked on tickets for a reason.  The "attitude" at the Burrow is "sit anywhere."  That's fine when you have 200 people, but now the attendance is increasing.  Don't sell General Admission tickets in the upper deck and then let those people sit anywhere.  They shouldn't be allowed in the student section and they shouldn't be allowed in the season ticket holders seats.

That's why I bought season tickets…so I can sit in "my" seat every game.  I always have to ask someone to move and they look at me like I have 3 heads.  The sideline seats are supposedly "premium" seats so they require season ticket holders to "donate" a certain level to get them…but then they let anyone sit in them.

They got rid of most of the Security people that checked seats at each section (I'm sure to save money).

FAU needs to adjust to what real programs do and have people sit in assigned seats (except for the student section).  Maybe that will encourage season ticket sales so you can sit where you like.

The dirties should be allowed to stand up in the student section and those behind them should sit in their assigned seats in another section.  Problem solved.

FAU:  prepare now to take basketball to the next level.  There are plenty of empty seats to make everyone happy and have a good game experience.  I don't necessarily want to sit behind the dirties, but that's why I bought tickets on the other side.

The dirties deserve their space and they bring a better atmosphere to the games.

It's just growing pains…GO Owls!!  Keep coming back, Dirties!

Back to the top

I think the problem yesterday, and the past few games, is that there were no students there.  With classes back in session for the next game, you guys will likely have a much "friendlier" environment with the student section actually full of students and not just anyone who wanders over.  So I hope that you guys reconsider.  What you guys do adds a lot to the atmosphere.

Back to the top

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts.

I agree that there will be a disservice done with us not showing up and being ourselves for the next two games, and i also agree that this year is differnet from past because in the past we had more people.  Problem is that no one wants to come to the games, partially because they think we have the same team as last year.

The players families which sit next to us, love us.  The media, well they are in a bittersweet area, their ears get the brunt of the noise.

While i would typically say politely "go dig a ditch" to these people it is different this year, simply because police are getting involved.  While i would say 75% of the Fau police force know us the other 25% like to give us a hard time.

The students should have their own section and seating shouldn't be GA for the games….it isn't fair to the season ticket holders nor the students.  The one time ticket buyers should be limited to where they can sit.

All of this combined is the reasoning that Troy and ULM will have it easy.  I hope that some other students step up, we have seen glimmers of hope this year with a few other crowds acting like us…..but they dint want to sit with us down front….

We will think about everything, but part of us are ready to sit on the other side of the court in "our seats" 
Back to the top

Nunzio, Please don't boycott the next two game. We attend about 4 home games a year (wish it could be more), and every time we go, you guys provide the heart and sound of the game. Without the Dirties it would be boring as sh@$. Seriously, the school should provide a section for you guys to stand and get loud. I'm sorry you guys were treated like this…please don't stop, we need you guys.

-Go Owls!
Back to the top

This has happened before this season. Earlier in the year, I forget who we were playing but we had a decent group of students and we were all standing up. The woman behind us was there for a birthday party for her grandson and when she asked us to sit down and we said no she started yelling and cursing at us. She went to tell the people who work the door but their response pretty much was, well we can't tell them to sit. There's no rule or law saying you can't stand at a basketball game in the student section. Grandma and her grandsons birthday party shouldn't be sitting in the student section. They should be sitting on the other side.

I know there are a lot of people who work for FAU that read these forums, as a long time fan and as a dirty bird I'm asking you to do something to help us. Is it possible to maybe reserve seats for the dirty birds, or put on the video monitor "Please be advised that students will be standing during the game in the student section" just something to forewarn people. Can we maybe just make one small section of the bleachers behind the media table the student section and not allow people to sit there unless they show their student ID? I think this would solve a lot of the problems.

I do understand if we were obnoxious and we are cursing because basketball games are family atmospheres, but we do not curse or make family's not want to sit near us because they have little kids. We are very passionate about FAU and FAU sports I'd hate to see the day when I go to a basketball game and there are no dirty birds cheering, making a lot of noise and trying to get in the other players heads. I'm asking the people in athletics who read this to please help us so we in turn can help you.

When someone who is 45 years old starts throwing obscenities at you and wants to fight you in the parking lot and then tells the cops on you, the cops will believe them over someone who is dressed head to toe in FAU gear and who lost his voice in the first 10 minutes of the game heckling the other teams best player. It should never come to this which is why I'm asking FAU athletics to please get involved and help us. Thank you

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

prowler said

Nunzio, Please don't boycott the next two game. We attend about 4 home games a year (wish it could be more), and every time we go, you guys provide the heart and sound of the game. Without the Dirties it would be boring as sh@$. Seriously, the school should provide a section for you guys to stand and get loud. I'm sorry you guys were treated like this…please don't stop, we need you guys.

-Go Owls!

Will the prowlers be in attendance the next two games?
Back to the top

Is there a glimmer of Hope arising??

It will be too quiet!  You must reconsider…

Gotten used to you guys over there ;D
Back to the top
Control functions: