Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sun Belt makes it official, 2nd bowl game for the confrence announced!

Knew this was coming but its nice to see it "official"

http://www.dnj.com/article/20100105/BLUERAIDERS01/100105009/-1/UPDATES/Sun+Belt+team+to+play+in+GMAC+Bowl+2010-13

MOBILE, Ala. – The Sun Belt Conference has entered into a primary bowl partnership with the GMAC Bowl beginning next season and running through the 2013 football season. The announcement was made today.

“We are very excited to enter this relationship with the GMAC Bowl because it represents one of the most significant steps in our league’s history,” said Sun Belt Commissioner Wright Waters. “We look forward to this partnership with the GMAC Bowl, its outstanding leadership and staff, as well as the city of Mobile.”

“We are excited about the brand of football the Sun Belt Conference will bring to Mobile and we are eager to begin our partnership with Commissioner Wright Waters and his staff,” said GMAC Bowl President Jerry Silverstein. “The proximity of the conference in New Orleans and the geographic location of the schools make a natural fit for our bowl game.”

The four year partnership with the GMAC Bowl will call for a Sun Belt team to represent the league in the game following the 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 regular seasons. The GMAC Bowl will have first or second selection of a Sun Belt Conference team after the Bowl Championship Series and the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl.

The Troy Trojans will play in the GMAC Bowl on January 6 against Mid-American Conference Champion Central Michigan. Troy’s invitation to the in-state bowl game makes the Trojans the first team from the state of Alabama to ever play in an Alabama bowl game. Troy was selected as an at-large participant in this season’s edition of the game. The 11th Annual GMAC Bowl will kickoff at 6:00 P.M (CST) January 6th 2010, at Ladd Peebles Stadium. ESPN will nationally broadcast the game.

The Sun Belt Conference sent multiple teams to postseason bowl games for the fourth time in the conference’s brief nine year history as Troy and Middle Tennessee accepted bowl invitations this season. It marks the third time in the last four years that the Sun Belt Conference has had two teams in postseason bowl games.

The Sun Belt Conference has also had recent success in the postseason as teams from the SBC have combined to win four of its last six bowl games, which gives the league a winning bowl record since the 2006 postseason.

The Sun Belt Conference previously announced that it has extended its partnership with the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl. The league will continue to send a team to face an opponent from Conference USA for the next four seasons.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Re: GMAC Bowl, Sun Belt Conference Strike Partnership

Very good news for the league!
Back to the top

Re: Sun Belt makes it official, 2nd bowl game for the confrence announced!

Sun Belt makes it official, 2nd bowl game for the confrence announced!

Any word on the Cure Bowl at UCF yet?
Back to the top

Captain said

Any word on the Cure Bowl at UCF yet?

Supposedly dead in the water with no big sponsor.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Excellent news.  A 2nd tie-in is long overdue.
Back to the top

Great news!

I would like to see the New Orleans Bowl increase their payout (currently $325k) because we will begin to see the conference champ wanting to go to the GMAC Bowl for the extra needed money (currently $750k)…just like this year.

Back to the top

Any bowl should provide enough payout so that the schools involved can bring their band, drill team, cheerleaders and full squads. After all, this is supposed to be a reward for having a good season and all of the above are a part of it!
Back to the top

Good news, indeed, about the GMAC Bowl. As I sit here in Denver in a snowstorm and with the temperature at 19 and dropping toward a predicted overnight low of 3 below, I like the sound of those bowls in the South. It's not that I don't like the cold (I walked my usual four miles this morning, thanks to hot coffee and many layers of clothing); rather, it's that I like a year-end break from it to watch the Owls pummel someone. I'll hoist a hot-buttered rum (perhaps even more than one, if I don't have to drive anywhere) this evening to honor the board's regular posters, plus Rick and Bytor. and to the Owls' next bowl game.
Back to the top

grayowl said

Good news, indeed, about the GMAC Bowl. As I sit here in Denver in a snowstorm and with the temperature at 19 and dropping toward a predicted overnight low of 3 below, I like the sound of those bowls in the South. It's not that I don't like the cold (I walked my usual four miles this morning, thanks to hot coffee and many layers of clothing); rather, it's that I like a year-end break from it to watch the Owls pummel someone. I'll hoist a hot-buttered rum (perhaps even more than one, if I don't have to drive anywhere) this evening to honor the board's regular posters, plus Rick and Bytor. and to the Owls' next bowl game.

Cheers to that!
Back to the top

You rock Grayowl!  8)

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top
Control functions: