Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Sig Ep Gets One Year Suspension Amidst Hazing Accusation

Add topic

Ouch!

FAU frat accused of hazing incident suspended for a year

Marc Press, an attorney who represents seven members of the fraternity, said he feels the ruling is completely unfair. He says the incident was part of a membership drive and at no time was Letteri forced to drink booze.

"It is the beginning of the end of the fraternity and a one-year suspension will effectively kill the fraternity. It's a death notice," said Press.

Story
Back to the top

Re: Sig Ep Gets One Year Suspension Amidst Hazing Accusation

Sig Ep Gets One Year Suspension Amidst Hazing Accusation

I've been keeping my mouth shut on this topic because I work for FAU and Graduated as a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon.  I am not talking on behalf of the SigEp Alumni Association or SigEp.

This is ridiculous.  This lawyer is fighting this?  Seriously!  They are lucky they did not get kicked off campus! Or even jail time. I do not think it will be the end of the fraternity.

I get frustrated with people talking about Hazing because fraternities do it, sports team do it, police departments do it, fire departments do it, and even our armed forces do it.  It is very disappointing that Sigma Phi Epsilon did it to this extent.  They should just take the punishment use the time to actually volunteer and get good grades then come out full force and recruit.  Am i wrong on this?
Back to the top

I agree with you…not sure it will "kill the fraternity" to take a year of down time (that they will assuredly meet during anyways "unofficially") and work to clear the name…

However, do believe that there was no charges filed because no one pressed charges…

So, no crime committed…

Looking at it from that side, it appears that one of the main reasons this happened at all is because of media attention that came in during the bottom of the seventh inning which prompted the "need" felt by FAU to provide a public form of "punishment"…

Back to the top

I see!  I cannot keep up with all the different stories.
Back to the top

Its a pretty serious penalty.  If it was deserved or not I am not going to comment because I do not know all of the facts.

However, lets remember that UF's football team had 31 arrests (guns, DWI's, beating girlfriends, rape) in 24 months and the football team hasn't been shut down a year.

All I am going to say is I hope they never catch the FAU football team or basketball team doing any forms of hazing as I would not want to see that program shut down for a year…or is that not what would happen?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

However, lets remember that UF's football team had 31 arrests (guns, DWI's, beating girlfriends, rape) in 24 months and the football team hasn't been shut down a year.

Post of the day!
Back to the top

Rick said

walty12 said

Post of the day!

Too big to fail… :D

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

This is really the best possible outcome. FAU looks like they responded accordingly without killing off one of its most important fraternities.
Back to the top

Rick said

walty12 said

Post of the day!
I disagree remember Football pays for all of UF's other sports so if you shut football down you will be doing a lot more than what meets the eye and if SigEp members were to get arrested for things such as guns, DWI's, etc Do you really think the school would shut SigEp down? Are any individuals even in trouble? I mean the school cant just turn a blind eye to the situation those 31 arrests were punishment enough somebody had to be held accountable for this SigEp fiasco its unfortunate that it had to be the entire chapter but what else could the school do?
Back to the top

owlmart said

I mean the school cant just turn a blind eye to the situation those 31 arrests were punishment enough somebody had to be held accountable for this SigEp fiasco its unfortunate that it had to be the entire chapter but what else could the school do?

From what I have been told by a source familiar with the negotiations both prior to and after the media got wind of this, they could have, and were going to, handle it differently…once the media hopped on it, it went to a whole nother level.

And, yes, they could have isolated the individuals involved…and held them and them only accountable.  That was in the works…

Only problem is, once again, there were no charges filed…and without that, you have nothing.

So, concerned over reputation now that it is becoming a hot topic, they whack the entire group - which is rough justice in my book.
Back to the top
Control functions: