Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Hilltoppers Slip Past Owls 79-72

Add topic

McCoy touts career high 13 points and eight rebounds

Florida Atlantic put up a fight tonight at Diddle Arena, but foul trouble eventually played its hand as Western Kentucky held on to win 79-72.

In a game that featured 62 personal fouls, the Owls connected on just 18 of 31 attempts from the charity stripe.

“We’re going to fight every night, but you can’t win if you don’t make lay-ups and free-throws, and those are the two areas that killed us”, said head Coach Mike Jarvis.

Story
Back to the top

Re: Hilltoppers Slip Past Owls 79-72

Hilltoppers Slip Past Owls 79-72

I couldn't believe all of the touch fouls called and quite a few phantom fouls called both ways.

I think (and the rule book agrees with me) that a foul should not be called unless A) there is contact and B) advantage is gained by that contact.  A good number of the 62 fouls called last night did not meet one or both of those criteria.

BTW, you guys have some very nice young players on that team.  The east is going to be getting very tight the next few years.

The guy that does our pregame / postgame said that he met Coach Jarvis last night and he had nothing but good things to say about him.  He was really complimentary and seemed to have come away very impressed with him.
Back to the top

WKU_Slam_Dunk said

I couldn't believe all of the touch fouls called and quite a few phantom fouls called both ways.

I agree, a lot of ticky tack stuff.  I thought the Hilltoppers got the most bad calls against them in the first half and the Owls got the bad calls in the second.  Ridiculous to have that many fouls called, but I guess the positive was that it was equally bad for both teams.  Good game.
Back to the top

Both teams fell victim to silly fouls. On TV you could see a lot of the fouls were bogus. For instance the opposing players hand would get contact with the ball - which is okay - and the refs would say they hit the offensive player's arm.

Oh well. Great game anyway.
Back to the top

WKU_Slam_Dunk said

I think (and the rule book agrees with me) that a foul should not be called unless A) there is contact and B) advantage is gained by that contact.  A good number of the 62 fouls called last night did not meet one or both of those criteria.

BTW, you guys have some very nice young players on that team.  The east is going to be getting very tight the next few years.

The guy that does our pregame / postgame said that he met Coach Jarvis last night and he had nothing but good things to say about him.  He was really complimentary and seemed to have come away very impressed with him.

Thanks for the kind words WKU_Slam_Dunk :)

I hate to say it, but we may have some of the worst officials in the NCAA from what has been shown so far this year…

Slaughter is the real deal..i can see why he got the nod for pre-season player of the year…
Back to the top

Rick said

WKU_Slam_Dunk said

I hate to say it, but we may have some of the worst officials in the NCAA from what has been shown so far this year…

Slaughter is the real deal..i can see why he got the nod for pre-season player of the year…

I agreed with you on this post Rick, but last night I must say the refs called a great game against UALR.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Rick said

WKU_Slam_Dunk said

I agreed with you on this post Rick, but last night I must say the refs called a great game against UALR.

You're joking right? From my point of view, there were tons of blown calls on both sides of the ball
Back to the top
Control functions: