Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

New University Press article on stadium, IV

Add topic

Article here: http://www.upressonline.com/building-the-future-1.2137444
My remarks are underlined

by Chris Persaud, contributor

In 2005, plans for Innovation Village were drawn up to add a sense of tradition to FAU. It will feature two upperclassmen apartments, a football stadium and Greek housing. On Dec. 14, 2009, land north of the Breezeway was cleared for the future construction of Innovation Village.

The on-campus football stadium plan includes 30,000 seats — 11,500 more than Lockhart Stadium — as well as luxury boxes, club seats, premium seats and a press box.  Innovation Village Apartments will house 1,200 new beds. (Technically it's 1216)

Director of Housing Jill Eckhardt said that rent rates for Innovation Village Apartments have yet to be determined, but students will pay between $4,475 and $5,075 per semester. (That's $895/month for 4 BR/2 BA and $1015/month for 2 BR/2 BA, with rental increase of 3%/year)

Residence at the Village Apartments will be restricted to upperclassmen.  “[Innovation Village Apartments] residents will need to be upper-class (juniors or seniors), graduate or professional students [so that] residence hall students can transition to independent living,” said Eckhardt.

Junior business major Andrew Gultz is happy with the new upperclassmen housing. “I like that because there are already two buildings dedicated to freshmen and sophomores. … I think [FAU’s housing] caters too much to freshmen and sophomores.”

Innovation Village will feature amenities such as a gym, a computer lab, a pool and hot tub and study rooms. The North Tower apartments will have four bedrooms and two bathrooms each, and the South Tower will be mostly two-bedroom, two-bathroom apartments.  Each apartment will have a common area, a clothes washer, a clothes dryer and a kitchen.

When the $111 million apartment buildings are completed in August 2011, there will be no shops available to students living there. Shops will be built in the future, but there is no set date to begin their construction.

“The current 1,200-bed housing project does not have any retail space built in; however, future [construction] phases include approximately 60,000 [gross square feet] of retail space. … The specific types of retail spaces have not yet been determined; however, they will be designed around student support activities such as dry cleaners, restaurants, bike repairs, cafés, etcetera,” said Azita Dashtaki, assistant vice president of the Division of Facilities.

Construction of Innovation Village is set to start in April 2010 and end by August 2011.
Back to the top

Re: New University Press article on stadium, IV

Curious: What upper classman wants to share an apartment with three other people?! University housing trends are for smaller units and less crowding. FAU ought to reconsider one- and two-bedroom units.

And the prices ought to be re-thought as well. Too nigh.
Back to the top

BMarkey said

Curious: What upper classman wants to share an apartment with three other people?! University housing trends are for smaller units and less crowding. FAU ought to reconsider one- and two-bedroom units.

And the prices ought to be re-thought as well. Too nigh.

The problem is that 1 or 2 bedroom units would mean even higher prices. The cost of a kitchen and bath divided by 3 or 4 is more cost effective than having singles or doubles. I imagine if the rates were for a single person in a 1 bedroom we would be looking at $1500+ per month. Ridiculous of course since students can find much cheaper housing options off campus.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Based on the prices I paid to rent an off-campus apartment and townhome a few years ago, those prices are very competitive. I rather pay a little more and live on campus, than pay less and live off campus.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

The problem is that 1 or 2 bedroom units would mean even higher prices. The cost of a kitchen and bath divided by 3 or 4 is more cost effective than having singles or doubles. I imagine if the rates were for a single person in a 1 bedroom we would be looking at $1500+ per month. Ridiculous of course since students can find much cheaper housing options off campus.

GO OWLS!!!

The Innovation Village will have 2 BR/2 BA places. The cost will be $1015/month and I'm pretty sure that's individual because if it was split as ~$500/person that would be very reasonable. You don't get as much profit from "reasonable" rental rates.

We can complain about how unreasonable and counterproductive it may seem to charge a grand a month to live on campus but the fact is that people are already paying it.

Back to the top

New University Press article on stadium, IV

owlcountry said

owlfan1 said

GO OWLS!!!

The Innovation Village will have 2 BR/2 BA places. The cost will be $1015/month and I'm pretty sure that's individual because if it was split as ~$500/person that would be very reasonable. You don't get as much profit from "reasonable" rental rates.

We can complain about how unreasonable and counterproductive it may seem to charge a grand a month to live on campus but the fact is that people are already paying it.

Are they really? when I lived on campus it was like 2800 for a semester and that was in 06
Back to the top

It's true, just look how well Addison park townhouses have done.  People will pay it, that's the cost for brand new living quarters.
Back to the top
Control functions: