Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Sun Belt After the Dominoes Fall

Pulled this from the Bleacher Report, Clay Lewis is an SEC guy so I don't know how much weight to put with his concept but it's nice that we end up in the Big East with FIU and UCF in his story (Nova is getting football???):

The Sun Belt Conference After the Dominoes Fall
Clay Lewis by

With all of the talk about the possibility of Big 10 and PAC 10 expansions, what would be the affect on the Sun Belt Conference (SBC)?  After reading several articles discussing various scenarios, it appears the consensus is the Big East Conference will start the dominoes falling for Conference USA (C-USA) and then the SBC.  The Big East would probably invite East Carolina and Central Florida from C-USA and then Florida Atlantic and Florida International from the SBC.  As a result C-USA would entice North Texas from the SBC by adding new comer Texas-San Antonio.

What then does the Sun Belt look like?  Well not too bad.

On the horizon in 2013, UNC Charlotte, Kennesaw State and Nova Southeastern will have added football programs.  All three have enrollments over 22,000.  The Sun Belt should also begin building relationships with Appalachian State and Georgia Southern.  Both schools should be announcing moves to Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) in the near future.  This will probably coincide when the schools in the Colonial Athletic Association decide to move up to (FBS) in mass. This is a discussion for a later date.

The addition of these five schools (UNC, KSU, NSU, ASU, GSU) to the Sun Belt will allow the conference to form two division with the subsequent alignment making it economically favorable due to the reduced travel cost for all sports.  Nova Southeastern will have the same travel cost no matter who they play.  However, at this point, the weak link would be Louisiana-Monroe because of enrollment concerns.  The SBC could then look at replacing UL-Monroe with Lamar University.  Imagine the Sun Belt Conference consisting of:

SBC – North

Appalachian State

Arkansas State

Kennesaw State

Middle Tennessee

UNC Charlotte

Western Kentucky

SBC South

Nova Southeastern

Georgia Southern

Lamar

Louisiana – Lafayette

South Alabama

Troy

When all of the dominoes fall, the Sun Belt schools would blanket the SEC with each of its schools having a minimum enrollment of 16,000 (2013 estimate).  There would be marquee matchups that will excite the alumni plus the SBC would also be in position to help the University of North Florida (Jacksonville) and Florida Gulf Coast University (Ft. Myers) when they decide to add football programs.  Both schools would become instant intra-conference rivals with Nova Southeastern and each other.  Another option could be Southeastern Louisiana in Hammond.

SBCmarquee matchups:

Arkansas State vs. Middle Tennessee State

South Alabama vs. Troy

Middle Tennessee vs. UNC Charlotte

Kennesaw State vs. Georgia Southern

Georgia Southern vs. Appalachian State

Appalachian State vs.  UNC Charlotte

Lamar vs. Louisiana Lafayette

Louisiana Lafayette vs. South Alabama

Kennesaw State vs. Middle Tennessee

Lamar vs. Arkansas State

Appalachian State vs. Middle Tennessee State

Plus the possibility of other big regional money games:

Appalachian State vs. East Carolina

South Alabama vs. Southern Mississippi

Alabama Birmingham vs. South Alabama

UNC Charlotte vs. North Carolina

UNC Charlotte vs. North Carolina State

UNC Charlotte vs. Tennessee

Middle Tennessee vs. Tennessee

Middle Tennessee vs. Memphis

Middle Tennessee vs. Kentucky

Western Kentucky vs. Kentucky

Georgia Southern vs. Georgia

Kennesaw State vs. Georgia

Kennesaw State vs. Georgia Tech

UNC Charlotte vs. Clemson

South Alabama vs. Auburn

South Alabama vs. Alabama

Troy vs. Auburn

Nova Southeastern vs. Miami

Louisiana Lafayette vs. Louisiana State

South Alabama vs. Louisiana State

Lamar vs. Louisiana State
Back to the top

Re: The Sun Belt After the Dominoes Fall

this guy is smoking some good stuff... strong strong strong stuff
Back to the top

i'm pretty sure that nova won the d2 championship. so them moving their team up to d1 is inevitable.
Back to the top

owl said

this guy is smoking some good stuff… strong strong strong stuff

Lol…Thought the same thing…

He spent ALOT of time on working it up though!
Back to the top

The Sun Belt After the Dominoes Fall

villanova is not going to go 1a in football, its too small of a school and it can't compete against penn state and Univ of Pitt. Its a basketball school, that's it. The Northeast doesn't do well in football, BC and UConn never sell out small stadiums. its professional sports area.

i think the big east is going to change a lot in the next 5 years. It has all these catholic schools with no football, it might split into two conferences. not sure how but it would make no sense for UCF traveling to Depaul to play hoops. they couldn't be anymore opposite.

The big east needs some football schools but can't take anymore b-ball teams.
Back to the top

nextdoorSTB said

i'm pretty sure that nova won the d2 championship. so them moving their team up to d1 is inevitable.

This is a football article though, I didn't realize that Nova was getting a program.
Back to the top

Exit39 said

villanova is not going to go 1a in football, its too small of a school and it can't compete against penn state and Univ of Pitt. Its a basketball school, that's it. The Northeast doesn't do well in football, BC and UConn never sell out small stadiums. its professional sports area.

i think the big east is going to change a lot in the next 5 years. It has all these catholic schools with no football, it might split into two conferences. not sure how but it would make no sense for UCF traveling to Depaul to play hoops. they couldn't be anymore opposite.

The big east needs some football schools but can't take anymore b-ball teams.

They're talking about Nova Southeastern in Davie, not Villanova in Philly

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Nova has the training facilities (Dolphins camp) and big time financial support (Huizenga) if they wanted to get football….heck I'll even give them a great deal on a stadium in Fort Lauderdale I've heard about :)

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

It could happen people!
Back to the top

After the football stadium is built I dont see why we couldn't go to the Big East?  Was USF ahead of us when they joined?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: