Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2nd top 25 team for FAU

Add topic

What team do you think we make the top 25 in the polls first...Baseball has been there.

Football
Basketball

You must select between 1 and 18 options

it will be interesting to see what sport makes the top 25 first. i thought Football was going to have a great year, obvsiouly we didn't. So what's your opinion, notthis year but down the line what team do you think will be in the top 25 first.

I also bet Ted blogs about this topic in the near future.
Back to the top

Re: 2nd top 25 team for FAU

i thought football as well, but now def basketball

i dont know if to call this group of kids the

Cardiac Kids (they come from behind tooo much for comfort)

or

The Diaper Dandies…..BABBYYYYYY
Back to the top

Hoops all the way.

We are definitely ahead of schedule development wise…
Back to the top

has to be basketball, it's too easy to stumble upon the perfect storm. With the backcourt we have for another 2 years, what if a big man develops, with a real offensive presence or we go out and get one this offseason. It only takes a few players to make a huge spash in basketball.

Too many variables in football to make it easy.
Back to the top

I have to go with Football…fewer teams and if we go on a run of 4-0 against our usual slate of BCS away games then we should get in the top 25.

Basketball, as great as we have been doing, I just don't see it happening anytime soon.  Too many teams playing out there, and we haven't shown we can beat the big boys.  The trajectory is there but it will be difficult to hit.

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

My votes on basketball. These guys can play.

If we could get the defensive and rebounding production that we want out of all our big men, averaging >5 rebounds and 10+ pts per game, you're talking about a Top 25 team.
Back to the top

2nd top 25 team for FAU

owlcountry said

These guys can play.

No doubt, these guys can play, but to be a Top 25 team in either sport, you have to be able to beat top quality teams.  We have yet to prove we can do that in either sport.  Not sure when we turn that corner, but that will be the indicator for me.  We would need to land a Larry Bird-type player much like Indiana State did many years ago.  It's difficult to get there.  Look how much fun and talented this year's BBall team is…they are awesome to watch, but I don't think we have won a game against a team with an RPI in the Top 150.  Our strength of schedule will hold us back as much as anything.

But the dream is alive…and I am looking forward to it when it happens.

Back to the top

fauowl said

owlcountry said

These guys can play.

No doubt, these guys can play, but to be a Top 25 team in either sport, you have to be able to beat top quality teams.  We have yet to prove we can do that in either sport.  Not sure when we turn that corner, but that will be the indicator for me.  We would need to land a Larry Bird-type player much like Indiana State did many years ago.  It's difficult to get there.  Look how much fun and talented this year's BBall team is…they are awesome to watch, but I don't think we have won a game against a team with an RPI in the Top 150.  Our strength of schedule will hold us back as much as anything.

But the dream is alive…and I am looking forward to it when it happens.

I agree with most of what you said. We haven't really beaten anyone in basketball this year but I fully believe that if we played Georgia or Maryland tomorrow instead of FIU we could win that game. We came very close without the line up we currently use and we again blew a 2nd half lead. It seems as if this team is starting to jell with each other now. They know where one another will be on the court at all times. Can we beat a top 25 team right now? I don't know that's TBD. Do I think we can beat a top 25 team next season DEFINITELY!

As long as Jarvis stays around and keeps this team motivated and hungry I think we can beat a top 25 team next season. I don't think we can compete with a top 15 team but maybe anywhere from 20-25

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

if carlos monroe was on this team (and playing) i bet we could compete with a lot of good teams.

the inside game scares me.

i think its b-ball. for anyone who's knows how i post, i've said it numerous times before, when two teams ranked 100th in the country play each other, someone has to win. until we beat a top 40 team in football i still think we're kidding ourselves.
Back to the top

Carlos Monroe would have been great for this team.. if he could play. Remember last year when he was limited by injury.

We're in the LA Times Sports section (at least online)

Best quote:

"Meanwhile, Jarvis hasn't needed much time to get the Owls flying right. After going 6-26 last season and being picked to be near the bottom of the Sun Belt this winter, Jarvis has put together the biggest surprise in the conference.

Florida Atlantic (11-10, 7-3 entering Saturday) is tied atop the Sun Belt's East Division and seems to have a legitimate chance of becoming the fourth school Jarvis has taken to the NCAA tournament, joining Boston University, George Washington and St. John's."

Back to the top
Control functions: