Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Texas vs Nation Practice started today. FAU lots of coverage!

Rusty Smith Picutre on the page

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/12870877/perriloux-shows-off-arm-as-texas-vs-nation-practices-open

Nation quarterbacks Jonathan Crompton (Tennessee) and Rusty Smith (Florida Atlantic) showed live arms and the ability to complete any type of throw. Crompton was late on one intermediate out and made his man adjust for a couple of throws, but generally got the ball to his receiver on time and on the numbers.

Smith seems to have shortened his delivery, getting the ball out more quickly and throwing with more confidence than he appeared to have during the season. Both players have something to prove because they were not invited to the Combine.

The star among the receivers and tight ends was Smith's teammate, H-back Jason Harmon. On back-to-back reps he made one-handed catches (with either hand) and pulled in everything the rest of practice. He was so good that it was a disappointment when he didn't bring down a high pass over the middle that was a coin-flip opportunity on most days. Harmon was Smith's favorite target this season (48-649-6) but teams aren't sure what to do with his 6-foot-2, 216-pound frame as a receiver/tight end/H-back 'tweener with very limited blocking skills.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

Re: Texas vs Nation Practice started today. FAU lots of coverage!

owlfamily said

The star among the receivers and tight ends was Smith's teammate, H-back Jason Harmon. On back-to-back reps he made one-handed catches (with either hand) and pulled in everything the rest of practice. He was so good that it was a disappointment when he didn't bring down a high pass over the middle that was a coin-flip opportunity on most days. Harmon was Smith's favorite target this season (48-649-6) but teams aren't sure what to do with his 6-foot-2, 216-pound frame as a receiver/tight end/H-back 'tweener with very limited blocking skills.

Couldn't Harmon play WR in the NFL?
Back to the top

"not fast enough"

imo yes he can!
Back to the top

Nunzio42 said

"not fast enough"

imo yes he can!

I hate that quote "He's not fast enough" I got news for ya.. Neither is TO. You don't need to be the fastest guy on the field to be a WR. You just need to catch the ball and have the ability to make big plays which I think Harmon can. Do I think him or Smith will be drafted? No. But you never know

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Texas vs Nation Practice started today. FAU lots of coverage!

I sure hope one of our Owls gets to the NFL this year.
IMO - this is what is hurting us in recruiting more than the stadium.
We get Div. 1 talent. Our kids need to be playing in positions their body type is made for and trained/coached to be NFL caliber.
I have not seen that yet.

Good luck Jason and Rusty and all seniors !!!!
Back to the top

It looks like the guys have had a good week at Texas v Nation. Harmon is really having a good week. Good luck in the draft.

http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/1/2010_texas_vs_the_nation_day_2_practice_report_-_nation/

VOYAGEのお得なWiMAX契約キャンペーン
Back to the top

footballfan47 said

It looks like the guys have had a good week at Texas v Nation. Harmon is really having a good week. Good luck in the draft.

Thanks for the links. I'll repost the FAU stuff here for archive purposes.

Day 1
Rusty Smith (Florida Atlantic) made a few plays on the field, but was throwing wobbly passes early in practice. He tends to push the ball, and would overthrow his receivers more than underthrow them. This tells me that his release point is just a little high, but mechanically he nearly sidearms the ball. He will make a complete read of the field before checking down, but he threw an interception when he was too impatient waiting for his receiver to open up over the middle.

Day 2
Rusty Smith(Florida Atlantic) holds on to the ball too long, and his reads come late which leads to more broken up passes. He was throwing with more zip and intention today, but failed to really wow me. He gets good depth when he drops back, and knows how to throw low and away from coverage. His motion seemed more natural today, as he was just flinging the ball around the field.

Day 1
Jason Harmon (TE - Florida Atlantic) was the best player on the Nation squad not named Jonathan Crompton. Wow, what a day of practice he had today! He has good burst off the line of scrimmage, and will quickly get upfield to surprise defenders. He made two 1-handed catches in a row that most wide receivers at these All-Star games couldn稚 make. The guy just has exceptional concentration and body control, especially for such a big man. He can get up the field in a hurry and it looks like he loves to pick on the defense. Harmon also hates for passes to hit the ground, which make him a fierce receiver when the ball is in the air.

Day 2
Jason Harmon(TE - Florida Atlantic) didn稚 have as many 努ow plays as he did yesterday, but he still was a walking highlight play. Harmon is very athletic, and spun around in the air to make two grabs over the middle today. Every time a tough catch was needed, Harmon came up with the right play. He also scooped one off the turf, and showed good body control when working the sidelines.

I hope NFL teams are reading/seeing this!
Back to the top

My gut feeling is that Willie Rose will be drafted in the very late rounds...hard to find a true fullback with decent size and decent hands these days....

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Jab979 said

Nunzio42 said

"not fast enough"

imo yes he can!

I hate that quote "He's not fast enough" I got news for ya.. Neither is TO. You don't need to be the fastest guy on the field to be a WR. You just need to catch the ball and have the ability to make big plays which I think Harmon can. Do I think him or Smith will be drafted? No. But you never know

Frantz Joseph apparently wasnt fast enough either. If Frantz is only fast enough to be on the practice squad of a Canadian League team, then I just have no idea how fast the NFL is!

Build Tradition
Tell someone "GO OWLS!"
Back to the top

Is this game on TV? or streaming online somewhere
Back to the top
Control functions: