Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Grading the 2010 Recruiting Classes...Owls not looking good...

Add topic

If you listen to those who proclaim "stars" as the deciding factor…

But, those who are avid Fans of FAU likely know otherwise…just need to examine a few of the Owl's best producers to see the light…

Rusty Smith

Alfred Morris

We'll stop there for time's sake on a very busy day for FAU fans - when eyes are likely very tired having had to read, and re-fresh, quite a few thousand pages during uh, hem…work-time.

Anyway, the folks who make a living off of this stuff, rivals.com and scout.com, have their numbers in…and it doesn't look good for the Owls…no, we are actually filling the cellar…so, guess this was all for naught; or so their ranking's would suggest:

Rival's Here

Scout's Here

What to say about this?

Well, take a look at how many other schools wanted the young men that Florida Atlantic welcomed today…actually, quite impressive.

In fact, most of them rank higher than FAU does, so hard to figure out what to make of this whole conundrum…but guess we shall find out as time, talent, and wins reveal themselves.

Back to the top

Re: Grading the 2010 Recruiting Classes...Owls not looking good...

I wouldn't look too much into this…. the fact that we only have 12 to give out hurts our rating…..it's all numbers based….doesn't mean a thing

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

This is becoming a trend though. The 2 bowl wins have not done anything to bolster recruiting. Every year we are ranked at the bottom of D1 schools - and this year we are at the very bottom. With our success, coach and location there should be no reason we consistently rank this low in recruiting.  I know the ratings are subjective but what I saw on defense last year tells me something is definetly not right.
Back to the top

d-owl said

This is becoming a trend though. The 2 bowl wins have not done anything to bolster recruiting. Every year we are ranked at the bottom of D1 schools - and this year we are at the very bottom. With our success, coach and location there should be no reason we consistently rank this low in recruiting.  I know the ratings are subjective but what I saw on defense last year tells me something is definetly not right.

Something wasn't right…and he was fired.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

There is another factor that plays into the ranking that hurts us & it is part of the recruiting philosophy being employed.  FAU will venture off, hit and comb the smaller schools the larger programs won't touch…thus these kids are off the radar.

Try and find some of the recruits on a rival or a scouts database and you will get, nah that… if they players aren't in the system they receive the lowest ranking which is the majority of our recruits.  Add the factor that once a kid is being recruited by a larger program the stars get brighter and sometimes are added to a particular recruit.

These are paid services…take it for what it is.  The coaches do a very good job of evaluating talent and they where staying in the fight for the same kids a Big 10, Big 12 & Big East schools where recruiting and it wasn't till the very last couple of days that we lost some.  This alone is showing that we are making ground with the ability to go after these higher ranked kids.

Plus, factor in character of a recruit and you might have to pass on a few kids that would otherwise be big fishes.

Recruiting is an art…some of these kids & this goes will the 3 & 4 stars recruits, you never know how any player will develop once in the college ranks.  The game is faster and how the kid adapts to college life, away from home for the first time also plays a role.

I think a lot of you will be surprised with the quality of kids that is the 2010 recruiting class & now, we will start to see the fruits & labor of last season class as soon as late March. More talented, faster & stronger kids.

Spring practices is right around the corner and can't get here soon enough.
Back to the top

"They signed some players that probably can contribute but lost out on many more they sought. Most of the players in the class are a few years from contributing however. Grade: C"

— Tom D'Angelo
Back to the top

Grading the 2010 Recruiting Classes...Owls not looking good...

Rick said

"They signed some players that probably can contribute but lost out on many more they sought. Most of the players in the class are a few years from contributing however. Grade: C"

— Tom D'Angelo

Umm…isn't that the analysis of just about every school in the nation's class?
Back to the top

FIU has a stadium, but just about everything else about that program is inferior to FAU. I don't understand how the Panthers can get such heralded (on paper, anyway) recruits, while FAU's kids are off the radar.
Back to the top

BMarkey said

FIU has a stadium, but just about everything else about that program is inferior to FAU. I don't understand how the Panthers can get such heralded (on paper, anyway) recruits, while FAU's kids are off the radar.

I think it's primarily because we have not gone after those recruits.  Howard knows what the reality has been without the facilities in place.  To spend time and energy chasing folks we most likely would not get, would have been a waste.  For the first time, this year, according to Coach Van, you see us chasing a few bigger recruits that in the past we would not have attempted.  Not necessarily getting them, but we are getting in the position for when we have the facilities.

The ratings are a way of selling pay sites.  I'm not worried about that.  We have had winning seasons and bowl victories.  There are teams out there that will always be ranked ahead of us in recruiting that have never been to a bowl game…and some of those have been around forever.
You can tell that FAU couldn't care less about the rankings…they just go about their business, and let the pay sites create whatever buzz they need to to get subscriptions.
Back to the top

Dont forget that FAU is a Sunbelt team too! If I were a 3 star or 4 star recruit, I sure as heck wouldnt be going to any Sunbelt school. Especially if they do not have a winning record or a stadium.

Build Tradition
Tell someone "GO OWLS!"
Back to the top
Control functions: