Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Owl Cards Needed for Entry..

Add topic

Think this will hinder attendance?

Attention students:  Please be aware that Athletics will be scanning student Owl Cards for entry into our men’s basketball games on Thursday, Feb. 25, and Saturday, Feb. 27, in preparation for a permanent move toward scanning Owl Cards at all FAU Athletic events to properly identify currently enrolled FAU students. You must have a valid Owl Card in order to receive admission. A valid Owl Card requires you to be currently enrolled in classes, up to date on payment, and have your most recently activated Owl Card present, as lost or stolen ones are deactivated once a new one is requested. We thank you in advance for your cooperation.

This message has been distributed on behalf of the Athletics Department
Back to the top

Re: Owl Cards Needed for Entry..

Would say so in some cases…but curious how many of the fans there use their old ID's?

Does campus rec still use the scanners??  They used to when they were housed in the gymnasium…
Back to the top

Oh it will definitely hinder attendance. How many people are recent graduates and casual fans. They don't have the money to buy season tickets and they figure they can still use their owl cards and get in and enjoy the game. If they start scanning and those people can't get in they'll probably stop coming to athletic events all together.

I understand why FAU is doing this, I just don't understand why now? Baseball struggles for fans and a lot of fans know they can flash their IDs and just walk right in even if they aren't partaking in classes this semester or just graduated and don't have a job yet. Now those people need to buy tickets which probably won't happen either

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

This was rumored to be going to happen for the past two years.  So anyone using old ids or someones stolen id has to understand why.  At the end of the day this is a business and they need to sell tickets to keep things going.

As for hindering attendance, it will for baseball, but not so much for basketball.  Lets be honest the product on the court will sell tickets.  Now if this was last years team then I would be worried but it isnt.

I have heard that the technology for them to scan at Lockhart is very expensive so im surprised to see that going forward this will be going on there as well.

Go Owls!
Back to the top

Owl Cards Needed for Entry..

Nunzio42 said

I have heard that the technology for them to scan at Lockhart is very expensive so im surprised to see that going forward this will be going on there as well.

Go Owls!

Per FAU, one of the reasons this is being done is to prepare for the stadium…it will be in full effect there…
Back to the top

I agree with Nunzio, it's a business.

If you constanly cater to those that don't want to pay, you are never going to be able to afford better facilities.

I think it shows growth for athletics.  For so long there have been few rules of where to sit, who can get in, etc.  To move to the next level, the mindset has to change and would agree it is about the new stadium and changing the mindset that at athletic events everywhere else in the country, there are policies, and procedures, etc., and we should come to expect that at FAU as well.

Also they should be collecting data from this action…what students are attending.  Those are the ones that want to support the program and are the future of the support of athletics.  They can use the data to target that market for special events, etc.

Every business should know and understand who their customers are for future success.

Back to the top

Well that kinda sucks because I know plenty of alumni that have been using old Owl cards to attend the games. Even with top sports like basketball and football, I've really got to sell it to get them out and if they have to pay it's a done deal.

But Nunzio's right, it was inevitable.

It would be nice if you could at least get free parking as an alumnus when you attend football games. Maybe the Alumni Association can cook something up there so if you join the FAU NAA you get free parking at athletic events for the year.
Back to the top

I don't think you'll see attendance deterred at baseball.  Most people know of all the ways to get around the front gate (through the field house or around baseball B) or they could just say they are going to play basketball or tennis on the outdoor courts.

AEA
Go play Intramural Sports! www.fau.edu/campusrec/imsports/
Back to the top

If they enforce this they will have to live and die by it.  If they have a mediocre or losing season and charge everybody that is not a student to get in even the recent graduates they will have literally nobody at thier games.  They better win if they are going to put this in place.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Athletics offers a recent grad season ticket pack for a few years if I'm not mistaken, and it's a pretty handsome deal. Scanning IDs is a reasonable step in our maturation, we're certainly not the only school to do it.

Nunzio is right, we win, people will come. I bet there is a good percentage of those "graduated Owl Card users" that WILL pay for tickets when they have to and that's better than having double the fans that are skating by for free. The fans that are going only because it's free, aren't really fans. If they are, they'll shell out some cash.

Now parking fees, that's a different story! Great idea Owl Country about the FAUNAA, I just don't know how they'd be able to swing that since Athletics sees that as a way to make some decent coin. Worth discussing though, that's for sure.
Back to the top
Control functions: