Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

NCAA Proposed Rule Changes

Will the Proposed Rule chages make a difference?

Yes, Good for the game.
Yes, but no enough.
No, Why mess with the rules.

You must select between 1 and 14 options

The NCAA Football Rules Committee has moved ahead with a proposal to get tough on taunting and also make it more difficult for players with concussions trying to tough it out.  Both proposals must be approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel.
Read More
Back to the top

Re: NCAA Proposed Rule Changes

I get the concussion thing but to outlaw taunting is taking it a bit far.
Back to the top

on the taunting thing;

"Taunting and prolonged individual acts have no place in our game, and our officials have generally handled these rules well,” said former Oregon coach Mike Bellotti, the committee chair. “This is just another step in maintaining our game’s image and reflecting the ideals of the NCAA overall.”

All this does is put more power in the refs hands, and will open more debate over if game is fixed.

Example;  Player a returns a kick for a touchdown.  OTW he slows down a bit at the 10 and looks behind him to see if he needs to angle the run in.  Ref flags player a for "taunting" becuase he slowed down and turned around.  Allowing the game to be further tainted.

Just my opinion.

Also the solid Eye Black;  Seriously who cares what someone has on their eye black….give me a break what is this the NFL all of a sudden?
Back to the top

A dead ball foul shouldnt take points off the board.
Back to the top

NCAA Proposed Rule Changes

Nunzio42 said

on the taunting thing;

"Taunting and prolonged individual acts have no place in our game, and our officials have generally handled these rules well,” said former Oregon coach Mike Bellotti, the committee chair. “This is just another step in maintaining our game’s image and reflecting the ideals of the NCAA overall.”

All this does is put more power in the refs hands, and will open more debate over if game is fixed.

Example;  Player a returns a kick for a touchdown.  OTW he slows down a bit at the 10 and looks behind him to see if he needs to angle the run in.  Ref flags player a for "taunting" becuase he slowed down and turned around.  Allowing the game to be further tainted.

Just my opinion.

Also the solid Eye Black;   Seriously who cares what someone has on their eye black….give me a break what is this the NFL all of a sudden?

I think solid eye-black should be enforced. First of all, the little stickers do nothing to help against glare. You need something with a shiny surface. That is why the old fashioned way was with grease or a similar substance. The stickers are fashion statement and nothing more.

What if players started putting "Satan Rules" on their eye-black or "No God"? We would be sure to hear an outcry. The whole eye-black thing is problematic because people (we all know who) use it to push their own particular agenda. Ultimately the NCAA wants to avoid having to answer questions about what is appropriate and what is not. They can't really say that putting "mom" or an area code is okay, but a religious message is not okay or that one political/religious message is okay over another. In order to solve the issue they don't let it happen period. Makes sense to me and there is no need to make a judgement call in the future.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

What if players started putting "Satan Rules" on their eye-black or "No God"? We would be sure to hear an outcry.

:D
Back to the top

Rick said

owlfan1 said

What if players started putting "Satan Rules" on their eye-black or "No God"? We would be sure to hear an outcry.

Just saying. I have to play devil's advocate.  ;)

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Not sure I like how they are structuring the taunting rule.  If its going to be anything like how they currently flag excessive celebration, then I'm not sure I like where its going.

These are young men and a game of emotion…I do agree that some rules need to be in place to keep the game in control, in the same instance I don't want the human factor taken out either.

Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Rick said

owlfan1 said

Just saying. I have to play devil's advocate.  ;)

GO OWLS!!!

Ha ha, "Satan Rules" is the literal definition of Devils Advocate!  ;D Well played sir
Back to the top
Control functions: