Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Combine invite not essential to NFL success

Combine invite not essential to NFL success

Being invited to the annual NFL combine, which begins Wednesday in Indianapolis, certainly provides a college prospect a pretty good leg up on being drafted. But not being chosen for the combine, and thus avoiding the poking and prodding that is a nettlesome part of the process, doesn't mean a player can't get a solid toehold on an NFL career.

Granted, the path to the NFL is a bit more pothole-strewn minus a combine résumé, but it doesn't necessarily suggest that a player has plummeted into the abyss of anonymity.

Full Story

I know a lot has been made recently about how we didn't get anyone invited to the combine again this year. This article is long but pretty good. Saying you don't need to be at the combine in order to be successful in the NFL or even be drafted for that matter

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Re: Combine invite not essential to NFL success

Being drafted is not essential to NFL success

Some good company:

Kurt Warner, Willie Parker, Antonio Gates, Wes Welker …

Warren Moon and Larry Little (both in Canton)

Another interesting tidbit, Roger Staubach wasn't taken until the 10th round, and Deacon Jones who went to Mississippi Valley State wasn't taken until the 14th round — so by today's draft they would have gone unselected. Both are in Canton.

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top

And why do u think Staubach wasnt taken until the 10th after winning a Heisman? uhhhhhh
Back to the top

garydwright said

And why do u think Staubach wasnt taken until the 10th after winning a Heisman? uhhhhhh

Probably due to his military requirements after graduating from the Naval academy.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Wow, you guys got me there. I'm just some dimwit li'l girl that don't know nuttin about football!  ;)

My point was that there are plenty of players past and present, that didn't get drafted and went on to have successful careers in the NFL.

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top
Control functions: