Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

After watching the combine

I have to think Rusty has a pretty good shot after watching the combine, and the fact that so many of the qbs opted not to throw (injury sminjury—- what the hey Lefevour? You didn't throw at all!)

I will not listen to the argument anymore that Lefevour or Pike are any better prospects than Rusty. If anything, rank them the same.

Other points:
Rusty could easily have been ranked one of the top 10 prospects of his class during his sophomore season, which at least in my mind was when he had the most talent and experience around him to get the job done. He was a 4 year starter in a "true" pro style offense.

Last year should have been a testament to his ability to grind it out and come away with successful production, especially looking at his performance in the Shula Bowl and The Motor City Bowl. He also played through injury sustained earlier in the season which should point to his toughness and durability. I'm sure lobbing a fifty pound football in the rain at Michigan State last year didn't help —- if anyone remembers.

Again I point to his toughness and durability. He played against top D-I competition and was able to withstand 4 years of d-lineman and d-ends who knew they were going to feast on him. We also forget that in some games he did have success. He was phenomenal against a "Tim Tebow" Florida team, and that USF team wasn't too shabby either.  This year he kept it close with South Carolina until depth of talent won out.

My one big criticism of his play is that he seems to "press" against big time opponents. There is a big difference between pressing and choking. If he could keep himself mentally where he was during his sophomore season, I think he can be tremendously successful.

If he performs well on his pro day, he has as good a shot as anyone. And don't think for a minute that there haven't been NFL scouts that have been keeping tabs on him since his sophmore season, because they will look like geniuses if they sign him as an UDRFA and he exceeds expectations.

Beware the talons of the Mighty Owls!
Back to the top

Re: After watching the combine

I like your confidence that Rusty will be drafted.

Ill tell yah what.

Ill bet someone, anyone, that he doesn't get drafted.

Small bet or something non-monetary.

Let me know… ;)
Back to the top

What about FA??

BTW,

Proudowl, what is in that casserole dish??
Back to the top

Rick said

What about FA??

BTW,

I would guess it is van camp's pork and beans yeah???

Back to the top

After watching the combine

;) Of course…..

My point is really that I'm sick of hearing how great Lefevour and Pike are. To me they are no better in terms of speculating how well they will do at the next level than Rusty (all resume's, size, skills considered).

Pork and beans and orange juice yum.

Back to the top

NCowl said

Rick said

What about FA??

BTW,

God I love that pic.

Back to the top

NCowl said

Rick said

What about FA??

BTW,

:D
Back to the top

proudowl said

;) Of course…..

My point is really that I'm sick of hearing how great Lefevour and Pike are. To me they are no better in terms of speculating how well they will do at the next level than Rusty (all resume's, size, skills considered).

Pork and beans and orange juice yum.

I don't get it. Look at the resumes and both Pike and LeFevour have outperformed Smith. Take away 2007 and Rusty isn't even being mentioned in the conversation. It is unfortunate, but it is also the truth.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

OMG!!!
Pike just isn't very athletic (see combine footage). He had a less than stellar showing in the Sugar Bowl. I guess he was sad because his coach left.

Lefevour is a little more athletic, but I do question his size because in the MCB he did look a little smaller than what his stats say (and a bit chunkier in the middle). He also chose not to throw at the combine, and he was the only qb who didn't throw who did not have an injury.

My point is if Rusty had had similiar depth of talent around him he would be considered a serious prospect.

Back to the top

proudowl said

OMG!!!
Pike just isn't very athletic (see combine footage). He had a less than stellar showing in the Sugar Bowl. I guess he was sad because his coach left.

Lefevour is a little more athletic, but I do question his size because in the MCB he did look a little smaller than what his stats say (and a bit chunkier in the middle). He also chose not to throw at the combine, and he was the only qb who didn't throw who did not have an injury.

My point is if Rusty had had similiar depth of talent around him he would be considered a serious prospect.

Pike isn't athletic, nor was Dan Marino or Peyton Manning. Two of the greatest ever. Pike is a classic drop back QB. He didn't perform in the Sugar Bowl. I will concede that, but he has a strong resume and he fits the mold of what the pros want. I am not sold on him, but he did play better against better competition.

LeFevour has the resume. To say that he is only a little more athletic is crazy. He rushed for almost 3,000 yards in his career and threw for well over 12,000. To put this in perspective, I am extremely confident that FAU has never had a RB rush for a career 3000 yards. The scouts will decide if LeFevour is soft around the middle and if that even matters.

Tebow did not throw at the combine either, not just LeFevour.

Rusty was at his best in 2007 and unfortunately he fell off after that. I like him a lot, but I don't see him as better than LeFevour or Pike.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top
Control functions: