Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Newly Elect President Mary Jane Saunder's Statement to FAU Community

Add topic

Newly Elect President Mary Jane Saunder's Statement to FAU Community

To the Florida Atlantic University Community:

My name is Mary Jane Saunders, and I'm so proud to say that I have been selected to serve as the president of Florida Atlantic University. I'd like to express my thanks to the Board of Trustees for conferring this great honor upon me and declare my readiness to assume the high responsibility of leading this remarkable institution as its sixth president.

Over the past few days, I've had the opportunity to meet many members and friends of the FAU family, and I greatly appreciate the warm welcome that's been extended to me by everyone. I already feel part of this vibrant academic community, and I'm looking forward to working with all of you to take this great institution to even higher levels of excellence in teaching, research and community engagement.

We all know that this is an especially challenging time for higher education as budget crises have slashed funding for public universities here in Florida and across the country. When President Lyndon Johnson dedicated Florida Atlantic University in 1964, he said the time was right for "a new revolution in education." Those words carry special meaning for us today as we work to build a new prototype for the university of the 21st century, one that is characterized more by innovation than tradition and one that actively seeks new and better ways of fulfilling its critically important mission in our society. No university in America fits the definition of that prototype better than Florida Atlantic University.

This vigorous, young institution stands on the solid foundation that's been steadily taking shape in recent years, and it looks toward a future that's literally overflowing with potential. The University's rapid maturation in the field of biomedical research, in partnership with such giants as Scripps, Torrey Pines and Max Planck, holds tremendous promise not only for FAU, but for all of South Florida and the entire state. My own background is in science, and I can think of no more worthy goal for a university to pursue than to become a center of cutting-edge scientific discovery. FAU is clearly on that path, and continued emphasis on development of the University's research capabilities will be a strong focus of my presidency.

FAU's fine faculty has long been known for high scholarly accomplishment, excellence in teaching and steadfast dedication to students. I've already had the pleasure of meeting many members of the faculty, staff and student body, and I look forward to engaging with many more in the months and years ahead. I deeply believe in the values of collegiality, cooperation and collaboration, and I intend to make them the hallmarks of my presidency.

I will devote my energy to keeping FAU focused on meeting the needs of students at all levels, from the first-semester freshman to the doctoral candidate. The top priority of my administration will be to keep this wonderful university growing in all ways, from increasingly comprehensive service to students to outstanding research accomplishments to truly meaningful community outreach.

I'm passionate about the future of higher education and the future of Florida Atlantic University, and I consider it the opportunity of a lifetime to lead this rapidly evolving institution as we work together to take FAU into a whole new day. I am eagerly anticipating returning to FAU to assume my duties as president.

Sincerely,

Mary Jane Saunders, Ph.D.
President-elect Florida Atlantic University
Back to the top

Re: Newly Elect President Mary Jane Saunder's Statement to FAU Community

From an academics and research point of view I think she is going to be a great president.  She also is an academic so there won't be that tension between faculty and the president that was so common previously.  Good hire and I think she could be here for a while

GO MJ!

Florida Atlantic University Owls
2007 Sun Belt Football Champions 2007 New Orleans Bowl Champions 2008 Motor City Bowl Champions 2011 Sun Belt Basketball Champions No Bowls without Owls
Back to the top

One of the better things about having a new President is the need to perform early to validate the hire.

Her first step would be to ensure the completion of the stadium and get approval for the medical school program. After that she should look at each College individually to find out what partnerships/internships exist and how the graduates are doing right out of the gate. From the campus life standpoint, she'll want to push for a new, significantly-larger Student Union and a post-Innovation Village student housing plan.

Simultaneously you have to begin feasibility assessments for expanding facilities for the existing Colleges… a separate Student Media building for OwlTV and the UP, a film school, a new research building at Gumbo Limbo, an academic hotel (for Hospitality & Tourism management), the science and technology library, etc

Ideally you would want each College to focus on one thing. So instead of having a College of Computer Science and Engineering, you'd have separate College of Computer Science and a College of Engineering. I believe Marine Sciences should branch off from the College of Science as well. Math and Physics should probably have their own buildings too.

Stuff like that.

Back to the top

I think some of you have great ideas and envision the right future for the school.
Do you guys ever send this type of ideas to FAU's upper management?
If you haven't yet; do so.
I think presidents and board members can use some pointers from the student body and alumni.

On the other hand, I am pleased with the new hire.
Back to the top

I know, listening to her, one of her projects is to get graduation rates up. I don't know for sure what it is now but she has her sights higher. She also sees keeping students in school until they graduate as a way to steady tuition revenue.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

President Saunders will be on hand for the UM game tomorrow night, and will throw out the ceremonial first pitch...
Back to the top

THAT should be interesting! Movie quote; "I sure hope you don't throw like girl!" And as a guy who coached softball for over ten years and got 38 girls into collegiate sports, I agree!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

"I sure hope you don't throw like girl!"

Can't be any worse than what the other President threw out a while back...

Obviously nobody said the above to him prior.......

Thing didn't even make the plate...

Lol

Back to the top

Movie quote; "you do throw like a girl".
Back to the top
Control functions: