Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SeminOwl's 2010 Spring Preview: Offense & Special teams

Continuing from where we left off yesterday, we move on to:

Offense

On the offensive side of the field, the real question is the offensive line.  With the news that redshirt junior center Ryan Wischnefski will not be returning, the offensive line is projected to have five starters with thirty (30) total games played last year and zero (0) total starts.  Why is this important? It shows us that the line does have game experience and won’t be as untested as many have feared…

Full Entry
Back to the top

Re: SeminOwl's 2010 Spring Preview: Offense & Special teams

SeminOwl's 2010 Spring Preview: Offense & Special teams

Those special teams numbers are especially appaling in that we played eight of our games (fully 2/3rds of schedule) against Belt teams plus two vs. Wyoming and UAB - not BCS teams by far - who we should at least be average against. Until we hire a full-time special teams coach, we will always get these nu,mber. Why we don't have one is a full freakin mystery to me! As they say, special teams are FULLY 1/3 of the game!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Those special teams numbers are especially appaling in that we played eight of our games (fully 2/3rds of schedule) against Belt teams plus two vs. Wyoming and UAB - not BCS teams by far - who we should at least be average against. Until we hire a full-time special teams coach, we will always get these nu,mber. Why we don't have one is a full freakin mystery to me! As they say, special teams are FULLY 1/3 of the game!
We should also use different players on special teams…I understand Polo's fast n all but he cant return a punt for nothing…I remember in the Wyoming game when they punted the ball I was praying he'd fair catch it I trust Rusty's arm to throw an 80 yd pass more than him trying to return a punt for a TD…
Back to the top

On that note, here's a fun one…

Have the Owls ever had a punt or kick returned for a TD in a game?
Back to the top

And only if it is since we moved up to fully fledged D1 ball. It has not been that many years but that would cover a fair amount of Belt and "winnable" OOC games by now! Also how many have we given up and what are the average kick and punt return yards both for and allowed? Finally, how about total blocked kicks for and against?

I know we don't need this info to "prove" our point but it would be interesting anyhow.

Bottom line, we gotta get a lot better at a basic yet major part of football!
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

Ever had one returned on them?

OR

Ever returned one?
Back to the top

Rick said

TeamBeer said

Ever had one returned on them?

OR

Ever returned one?

Probably the latter. I believe the answer is yes. I have no idea what game(s) it was, though.
Back to the top

Yeah, I meant have the Owls ever returned one for a TD.

I honestly can't think of a time where it's happened. I'm almost 100% positive that we've never done it on a kickoff. I think the opening kickoff return at the NO Bowl was probably our longest ever.

I still can't think of a game where we've done it on a punt either to be honest.

Isn't this info in the media guide somewhere?
Back to the top

Didnt we have a kid by the last name Jackson (No. 4 I think) back in the 2002-2005 range that was really good at returning kicks?  He may have returned 1 but I dont think so.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I don't recall a punt or kickoff returned for a TD. Unrelated: Is there a story behind Ryan Wischnefski's decision to leave? I thought I read that he was looking for a graduate program that was not available at FAU. However, I'm not sure.
Back to the top
Control functions: