Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Meeting expectations....Who has something to prove?

We have talked "break-out" players, but what about expectations? Who needs to perform at a high level to meet fan expectations as well as coaching staff expectations and their own individual expectations?

Lots of changes coming forward this season with a new QB, a young offensive line, some new receivers and tight ends in the mix, and plenty of holes to fill on defense. Any thoughts on who has the most to prove and who we should expect to perform at a very high level?

Jeff Van Camp - Stepping in and taking over the reigns. Proved he could do it as a back-up. A lot is riding on his performance.

Rob Housler - Back after a redshirt year he should be a go to guy this year. In 2008 he had over 500 yards receiving. Can he build on that and be a real force this year?

Lester Jean - Coming off a 500 yard season receiving season in 2009. Expected to be a big weapon for JVC.

Avery Holley - 22 catches last year in 12 games. He showed the ability to make plays. Now he needs to take it to the next level.

Alfred Morris - 1300+ yards last season in a breakout year. Can he do it again with a new O-line?

Xavier Stinson - The guy has seemingly been around FAU football as long as coach Schnellenberger. He will finally step into a leading role after coming in as a highly touted back too many years ago to recall. He has the unenviable task of following in the footsteps of all-purpose FB Willie Rose.

The Offensive Line - A new look O-line will need to gel in a hurry to provide a solid base for a talent filled offense. While pressure is on them to perform, I don't think expectations are too high just yet.

Kevin Cyrille - Has the talent and needs to step up and make plays as an anchor on the defensive line.

Tavious Polo - 7 ints as a freshman and only 2 the last 2 seasons. Can he get back to his freshman form and close out his career the same way it started?

I think even though Morris proved himself last year, he needs to prove this year that he can string together multiple 1000 yard seasons even with a young offensive line. While JVC might feel more pressure, I think the expectations are very high for Morris and he will be a real key to FAU's success this year.

Any thoughts??

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Re: Meeting expectations....Who has something to prove?

We should add Kicker Ross Gornall to that list of expectations. After having the fourth worst % in Extra points in all of D-I, if he hasn't improved, the team should to cut him and give the job to Vinny Zaccario.
Back to the top

Polo, Lockley, Jean, Stinson need to show "what time it is"…

The others already have in some regard…

"Newcomers":

Jackson
Richardson
Reaser

Just to name a few…

Back to the top

Meeting expectations....Who has something to prove?

Captain said

We should add Kicker Ross Gornall to that list of expectations. After having the fourth worst % in Extra points in all of D-I, if he hasn't improved, the team should to cut him and give the job to Vinny Zaccario.

This isn't the NFL, you can't cut a kicker and just go and give his job to someone else. Let's also not put all the blame on Gornall either. I think there was 1 XP he missed that was his fault and I could live with that from my kicker. All the other kicks were blocked or tipped or poorly snapped. Gornall isn't a bad kicker at all, we could have had Adam Vinatieri back there, but if no one blocks for him it's not going to matter

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Ross Gornall is 8-of-12 on field goals, 37-of-43 on PATS. Those are GORNALL's stats any way you slice it.
Back to the top

Captain said

Ross Gornall is 8-of-12 on field goals, 37-of-43 on PATS. Those are GORNALL's stats any way you slice it.

I happen to disagree. How many times did we see collapsed coverage on punts and fg's? Give him an extra second or two to kick a fg or make an XP and see what his #'s are. You should also see how many of those field goals were blocked and how many of those extra points were blocked?

I can't remember every extra point but the only one I clearly remember being his fault was S. Carolina

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top
Control functions: